Songkran 2021: Last year was a "washout" but this year looks just as gloomy

webfact

29 minutes ago, Sydneyboy1 said:

There will be a Songkran in Thailand.  Maybe not at Pattaya,  Phuket and other tourist areas but go to a thai village/town where there is very few falang and the party will be in full swing.  

I agree, too much talk about it not happening in Khao San Road etc. ... sure it may not happen there but guaranteed the Country Folk will celebrate !

• Like 1

For shops and restaurants songkran will be to them what one good shot to golfer means HOPE and light at the end of the tunnel 90% of small business are already finished let's hope some survive this bad time

36 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I know there are a few people in this forum that will be happy about the demise of Songkran for another year. I am not one of them! I enjoy a bit of fun and while being soaked with ice cold water is not my ideal cup of tea, it is only once a year. I do know how to avoid t if I don't like it. But I am thinking of those whose business woes get little respite given their problems for more than an entire year already.

I think also of the children who love their Songkran and for the activities of throwing water over everything that moves is so exciting for them when at any other time it's obviously no go!

Songkran - where you can let your hair down a bit - if you have any!

Songkran 2015.JPG

Unfortunately i am as bald as a coot, but hopefully we can spend a day near the Mekong,or a local lake maybe ????

Time Songkran as it is currently (sorry was)  is pulled into gear. The festival has become ridiculous. A mixture of water,( with God knows what in it )  over excitement, alcohol and one upmanship has become dangerous. Three years ago I witnessed fights and aggression during Songkran mainly from over enthusiastic Thais and foreigners. Was in an open front bar just after 7pm the staff had just "cleaned up and dried the slippery floor tiles when idiots across the soi started squirting and throwing water back into the bar, very close to an all out fight was on the verge of breaking out. Yes it was Falangs causing the problem then Thais joined in. Lucky police happened to drive pass and stop. Time for common sense to come into play. The government already faces water shortages yet encourages wasting millions of litres in the name of " NEW YEAR"

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sydneyboy1 said:

There will be a Songkran in Thailand.  Maybe not at Pattaya,  Phuket and other tourist areas but go to a thai village/town where there is very few falang and the party will be in full swing.  

Just like last year?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Of course there will be no foreign tourists to swell the coffers.

Thais will do it in their own way, go home to family, have a bit of a bash with friends, drink, die and go back to work.

Thailand can blame the lack of an inoculation plan delaying the re-opening of Thailand.

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Certainly agree to a point, unfortunately it has got completely out of hand and now only viewed as a massive income source - it certainly needs pulling back into line and treated as it should be - nothing wrong with a few street parades and water throwing, but within reason.

9 days in Pattaya is Ridiculous 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't care for it much but I think SG will in fact take place.  It is important to Thais and after last year was canceled, I see it happening.

They have had several of these long weekends to promote domestic tourism without a lot of issues, so why not.

3 hours ago, KC 71 said:

Unfortunately i am as bald as a coot, but hopefully we can spend a day near the Mekong,or a local lake maybe ????

Hopefully, the Mekong and the lake your looking at have water, not looking good so far....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

good, the intention of this was not to entertain foreigners anyways..

Yes, it was and is for making merit, praying to and pouring water on the buddha statues at the Wat, and  washing away the past years sins and bad luck.  Of course washing your elders and giving them thanks for raising you.

Agreed the villages around Thailand will be celebrating Songkran 

The kids local people showing respect to their elders

Then we come to Pattaya and  Khaosan Road where tourists 

Usually drinking and spraying everyone in sight

As there are No tourists in Thailand hopefully it will be a low key event 

This year????

20 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, it was and is for making merit, praying to and pouring water on the buddha statues at the Wat, and  washing away the past years sins and bad luck.  Of course washing your elders and giving them thanks for raising you.

yea, kinda like the catholics splashing folks with water, supposedly holy lol. But I never saw my priest all pi**ed up throwing buckets lol..

6 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

yea, kinda like the catholics splashing folks with water, supposedly holy lol. But I never saw my priest all pi**ed up throwing buckets lol..

That would have been something to see, A catholic priest wielding the sticks dipped in water, yelling Hallelujah and smashing the wetted sticks up the side of ones head while drinking a shot or two of wine from the communal cup, oh wait I saw that years ago on Bangla in Patong, my bad,

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

That would have been something to see, A catholic priest wielding the sticks dipped in water, yelling Hallelujah and smashing the wetted sticks up the side of ones head while drinking a shot or two of wine from the communal cup, oh wait I saw that years ago on Bangla in Patong, my bad,

when I was 7 yrs old I was disciplined by a nun for misbehavior at school. To this day I cannot reach orgasm till the wife chants a 'hail mary'... 

• Haha 2