Brits banned from travelling internationally - including to Thailand

webfact

On 3/8/2021 at 8:46 AM, dddave said:

Things must be pretty bleak around Marbella and the Costa del Sol.  Must be similar to Phuket with many closed restaurants and hotels.

Just been there, bars/restaurants open untill 18:00, people allowed ouside untill 22:00. Dining in the hotel untill 22:00. Didn't look all that bleak to me.

On 3/8/2021 at 5:01 AM, Surelynot said:

Surprised the world didn't get together and does this years ago.

Should've done it with the Russians. Most of them spend very little and don't mix well with other nationalities

On 3/8/2021 at 6:36 PM, Timwin said:

These pandemics happen every 15-30 years, lesser epidemics once in 5-10 years, nasty influenza winter seasons every few years. Are we going to shutdown and disrupt the global economy for years to come from now on every single time? The cure will be much more harmful than the disease. 

Get back to us in maybe 15-30 years when you are maybe 15-30 years older and of an age where being less likely to contract life-ending viruses through being younger and stronger isn't an option any more.

On 3/8/2021 at 7:02 PM, Timwin said:

If this affected your financial situation seriously I'd bet you would be the first to shout "open it all up!"....easy to judge when you are either a retiree or government employee or have enough savings. 

It has seriously impacted my income from being a consultant that typically does half-a-dozen overseas assignments in a year, ie. not working in my homeland OR country of domicile. That's why I consider the noisome frequent fliers who feel they're entitled to a warm sunny vacation as more of a threat to my eventual retirement than the bloody pandemic.

No, I do NOT want to "open it all up!" by any stretch of the imagination. I just want people to realize that vacations can wait until herd immunity is broadly established. Governments should be emphasizing this instead of filling their heads with fallacious rubbish about travel corridors, tourist bubbles and covid passports.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

It has seriously impacted my income from being a consultant that typically does half-a-dozen overseas assignments in a year, ie. not working in my homeland OR country of domicile. That's why I consider the noisome frequent fliers who feel they're entitled to a warm sunny vaca ..........

Don't see how working overseas is any more important than leisure travel.

Ban everyone from anything but local travel if you think it's that important to health.

On 3/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, internationalism said:

I have though the UK have this rule on international travelling already sometimes from January.

Same as the USA.

I don't see a difference from the previous order

You're right, the UK banned all holidays and launced an ad campaign on the 28th of January 2021 stating that holidays were illegal. This is not what the story is really about as Brits have been unable to legally fly out of the country for a long time now.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/going-holiday-illegal-warns-government-new-social-media-campaign/

The only change to the law has been the introduction of form whereby you must state the trip abroad is permitted, and your reasons for going. This was released on Monday. So this could make it easier to prosecute individuals for breaking the law, and harder to get out of the coountry without a valid reason. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56289054

From Monday, passengers travelling internationally from England will have to carry a form stating their trip is permitted, the Department for Transport has announced. It will be an offence to fail to produce a completed form. Those who do not have one could be fined £200.

On 3/8/2021 at 12:10 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Looks like Boris doesn't want Brits going to dirty unvaccinated counties ???? 

Quite honestly I don't understand why any country would allow its citizens to travel to a filthy nasty and vaccinated country, period!

• Sad 1

On 3/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, internationalism said:

I have though the UK have this rule on international travelling already sometimes from January.

Same as the USA.

I don't see a difference from the previous order

I've landed in Bangkok about 20 days ago and the difference is that I didn't have to fill any form upon my departure ,no cop in sight no one asked me why I was traveling But now you have to fill out a form and it's seems that the exemptions are significantly reduced. If they stopped me I would have told them I was returning to my home since I'm not an UK resident. But now that option in no longer mentioned in the permitted options list.  Somethings has been changed and it's a nightmare 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Personally, I'm going to take full advantage of this by visiting Koh Chang, Phuket, and Koh Mak's deserted beaches. I hope they still have the 40% discount! 

Looking forward to that myself, but have the few beaches that were kept clean been cleaned of late? Without foreign tourists, what reasons have there been, from a Thai point of view, to collect the refuse on those beaches every morning?

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

Looking forward to that myself, but have the few beaches that were kept clean been cleaned of late? Without foreign tourists, what reasons have there been, from a Thai point of view, to collect the refuse on those beaches every morning?

It's the foreign tourists that litter the beaches. On Koh Mak, there was no litter, no people, paradise! 

22 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Get back to us in maybe 15-30 years when you are maybe 15-30 years older and of an age where being less likely to contract life-ending viruses through being younger and stronger isn't an option any more.

In 15 to 30 years I probably will have killed myself if not dead by other means, especially if the future looks like this. Maybe not in 15 years yet but in 30 years quite likely.

Even if I were alive I would be ashamed to demand the world to stop only in order to save ME.

Edited by rabang

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It's the foreign tourists that litter the beaches. On Koh Mak, there was no litter, no people, paradise! 

Nonsense. Tourists are the only ones who keep their litter and look around for somewhere to dispose of it. Garbage here is a product of the plastic orgy/industry. If you drive around Ko Mak you see the places where no tourists are staying are the ones most affected.

1 minute ago, JackGats said:

Nonsense. Tourists are the only ones who keep their litter and look around for somewhere to dispose of it. Garbage here is a product of the plastic orgy/industry. If you drive around Ko Mak you see the places where no tourists are staying are the ones most affected.

I must have missed that, and the orgy industry 

• Haha 1