Forever keen to milk Johnny Foreigner

gunderhill

On 3/10/2021 at 11:48 PM, talahtnut said:

Fair when one considers what a farang earns, compared to that which Thai earns.

Just another way of looking at it?

A martyr's perspective, perhaps? Fair is fair. And five times the price is not fair. You can make an argument that 50% more, or even double is reasonable. 

One would have hoped that at the very minimum, some humility might have been learned from this collapse of the industry. Too much to ask?

At least they advertise the price openly so you can decide to either pay it or walk away. They do try and hide it by using Thai script and numbers for the Thai price assuming that foreigners can't understand it, but then again, if you can't read that then you haven't been here long enough and should be paying the tourist price anyway.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, ib1b4 said:

I decided I was not willing to pay my entry fee and told my friends I would meet up at Lom Sak to continue our ride. My friends had a discussion amongst themselves and decided to travel the longer route together and avoid the park all together.

Cringeful.

Robbing 10 friend's of a great experience over 500 baht lol. 

ib1b4 is one poster I'll never invite around for a few beers and some food, he might go lunatic in the mom and pop shop because the peanuts are 2 baht more than the 7-11 at the end of the road. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, impulse said:

So true.  Demanding western principles in an eastern culture is a surefire recipe for a serene, happy life.

Thailand, Inc is an organization operated for the benefit of Thai citizens.  Not foreigners who have chosen to stay in Thailand (without benefit of citizenship).   Not foreigners who may pay taxes in Thailand.  Not foreigners who lovingly call Thailand home.  For the benefit of Thai passport holders. 

The sooner I accepted that, the fewer windmills I tilted at, and the lower my blood pressure.  Spicy Thai food still gave me heartburn...

You don't like it?  Get a passport.  That process will give you a legitimate reason to question your love of LOS.  I decided that it was easier to spend less than 0.1% of my take home pay on dual priced attractions every year.

Well get a passport is an improvement on the normal if you don't like it here get out of the country . 

Serene life depends on culture from the west ? You write like you are sure what you are saying . I beg to differ . 

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

The Thais decided on their own that if he could not go at the Thai price, then they would not go either.

No doubt thinking that he would change his mind and not ruin their day, and simply pay the correct entrance fee, instead of acting like a spoiled brat child and ruining the day of 10 friends because of his crazy petulance. 

Cringeful. 

• Sad 4

6 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

No doubt thinking that he would change his mind and not ruin their day, and simply pay the correct entrance fee, instead of acting like a spoiled brat child and ruining the day of 10 friends because of his crazy petulance. 

Cringeful. 

I think i know who is cringeful. How on earth would you know what they thought or ruining a day. 

Dont you ever do the same thing with friends? Walk along looking for a restaurant, check the menu at the door, discuss with friends, decide too expensive, move on.

Using my own powers of the crystal ball, they thought he wanted to go in so just went along with him to be nice. When he declined they had a sigh of relief that they didnt have to go in.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 12:48 AM, talahtnut said:

Fair when one considers what a farang earns, compared to that which Thai earns.

If the corrupt filthy snouts did'nt take so much from the national coffers, there may be more to go around, I never felt guilty of the money I was paid in Thailand compared to what the Thai's got paid!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Dont you ever do the same thing with friends?

Throw a hissy fit about 300 baht while out with 10 friends, that were until then having a nice day out, a hissy fit that impedes on their day and their plans? 

Nope, I don't lol. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

I don't recall the exact price the Missus (Thai) and I paid for the all day excursion to the James Bond island  but I do remember it was worth every single baht for an outstanding experience.

Wife's  advice don't go to the main dock walk down and ask some other boat owners, they all wanted 2500 (price  fixing) I think but if  you walk off you can get it down to 1500 inc. food.

19 hours ago, impulse said:

So true.  Demanding western principles in an eastern culture is a surefire recipe for a serene, happy life.

Thailand, Inc is an organization operated for the benefit of Thai citizens.  Not foreigners who have chosen to stay in Thailand (without benefit of citizenship).   Not foreigners who may pay taxes in Thailand.  Not foreigners who lovingly call Thailand home.  For the benefit of Thai passport holders. 

The sooner I accepted that, the fewer windmills I tilted at, and the lower my blood pressure.  Spicy Thai food still gave me heartburn...

You don't like it?  Get a passport.  That process will give you a legitimate reason to question your love of LOS.  I decided that it was easier to spend less than 0.1% of my take home pay on dual priced attractions every year.

Let me  help you out here, 1. I  have no interest in seeing JB Island 2. this  report is  just for other's information if they plan to go there 3. showing the covid debacle  has  not  affected the greed level 4. I dont  want a Thai  passport not with all the stupid  hoops  involved for zero benefits.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 9:43 AM, Pilotman said:

because there is enough money in the UK economy to keep them going, not so in Thailand. Comparisons with the west on entrance fees are irrelevant.  If someone didn't pay more, the poor here wouldn't see them. But of course the persecution complex of some on this forum can.t see past their own prejudices. 

Few months ago Richard Barrow was starting a mediatic campaign against the double pricing

even TAT was alerted of this and TAT governor said it was something 

unjust and unjustifiable in anyway, promising to abolish this practice asap

in the public and private attractions.

Obviously 6 months later they are still working on it

it's a real shame that they have been unable to change it at least for the public parks.

Covid could have been an opportunity to improve few things, but

unfortunately It seems they will never learn nothing 

• Like 1

I fully accept the Thai dual ricing policy.

I just wont enter the " attraction  / venue " if the entrance price is more than Thai price.

It may be that I have missed out on some really exciting experiences, but I very much doubt it having viewed from the outside most of the ' Plastic Attractions " that are on offer.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Wife's  advice don't go to the main dock walk down and ask some other boat owners, they all wanted 2500 (price  fixing) I think but if  you walk off you can get it down to 1500 inc. food.

Just a thought: Maybe the boats at the main dock have a commercial operators licence and insurance?

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

Few months ago Richard Barrow was starting a mediatic campaign against the double pricing

even TAT was alerted of this and TAT governor said it was something 

unjust and unjustifiable in anyway, promising to abolish this practice asap

in the public and private attractions.

Obviously 6 months later they are still working on it

it's a real shame that they have been unable to change it at least for the public parks.

Covid could have been an opportunity to improve few things, but

unfortunately It seems they will never learn nothing 

Barrow  doesn't speak for me on any subject.  It's hardly the biggest problem we expats have.  Perhaps he should direct his efforts to more important issues, like the lack of organised underwater basket weaving in LOS. 

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

Throw a hissy fit about 300 baht while out with 10 friends, that were until then having a nice day out, a hissy fit that impedes on their day and their plans? 

Nope, I don't lol. 

Mind reading? Never hissy fit mentioned. Just decided not to go.

The others are adults and can make up their own minds.

They could also all chip in to cover the cost between them but decided against it as they didnt like their friend being treated that way.

See mind reading works both ways, before judging and casting aspersions...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Barrow  doesn't speak for me on any subject.  It's hardly the biggest problem we expats have.  Perhaps he should direct his efforts to more important issues, like the lack of organised underwater basket weaving in LOS. 

He certainly influenced me to find greener pastures to visit.

Tho his job is not to influence but to report. 

Edited by Sujo

27 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

You totally missed the point

Barrow wasn't the important thing in my post

as you was in your post trying to justify the double pricing 

i was hoping your attention could have been attracted by this part of my post

'' even the TAT (Tourism Authority fo Thailand) governor reconignised it was an

unjustified and unjust practice''

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingofthemountain said:

You totally missed the point

Barrow wasn't the important thing in my post

as you was in your post trying to justify the double pricing 

i was hoping your attention could have been attracted by this part of my post

'' even the TAT (Tourism Authority fo Thailand) governor reconignised it was an

unjustified and unjust practice''

Well I guess that's the point, I don't worry about it and it doesn't wind me up. In the myriad of other issues we expats endure, that is, in my book, the very  least, probably because I have seen the same in many other tourist destinations, where locals get a preferred entrance fee,  most Caribbean countries for example. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Well I guess that's the point, I don't worry about it and it doesn't wind me up. In the myriad of other issues we expats endure, that is, in my book, the very  least, probably because I have seen the same in many other tourist destinations, where locals get a preferred entrance fee,  most Caribbean countries for example. 

I am sure you was coming in this precise discussion and post in it by error then?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I am sure you was coming in this precise discussion and post in it by error then?

what? A little bit of balance doesn't do any debate any harm. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

what?

i mean for example american politics is the last of my concerns and i have no any interest in it

so it's never cross my mind to go in the part of the forum dedied to it nor post in it. So if you are

really in the same state of mind concerning the double pricing in Thailand, i wonder why you even bother to read a topic about it and even more post in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2021 at 12:44 AM, ukrules said:

I know a pair of idiots who bought a house and paid twice what it was actually worth, perhaps more common that you would appreciate.

I know what it's worth because I know how much some of the other houses in the row (all built at the same time) were sold for - they have no idea either as I haven't told them ????

Common I can believe , one born every minute

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingofthemountain said:

i mean for example american politics is the last of my concerns and i have no any interest in it

so it's never cross my mind to go in the part of the forum dedied to it nor post in it. So if you are

really in the same state of mind concerning the double pricing in Thailand, i wonder why you even bother to read a topic about it and even more post in it.

I'm trying to say, why get worked up about something that is, in essence, quite trivial. They are much more important things to worry us all.  This is a very minor issue and there is a solid argument for supporting such pricing, from a Thai perspective.