Forever keen to milk Johnny Foreigner

gunderhill

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Debate aside: I entered Koh Samet (which is a national Park) with my Pink ID and received the same price as my Wife. 

It seems some parks are more strict on charging foreigners the 10x rate than others.

Pre covid?

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

If you're going to get upset about $10 for traveling to an internationally famous tourist destination, you're going to get ulcers or high blood pressure.  Maybe both.

Ya  reckon.

PS  I didn't  go she went with  some friends today.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The double pricing debate surfaces regularly on this forum and I have not once read one single argument which soundly justifies the practice.

There have been a ton of posts on analogous dual pricing "back home", along with several good explanations about why they'd give a discount to locals as a legitimate business practice or gub'ment policy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, itsari said:

I am not seeing what you are looking at . If you buy a new car , are you expected to pay four times the price that Thai people pay ? 

I know a pair of idiots who bought a house and paid twice what it was actually worth, perhaps more common that you would appreciate.

I know what it's worth because I know how much some of the other houses in the row (all built at the same time) were sold for - they have no idea either as I haven't told them ????

• Sad 1

Recently watched a youtube video where a young farang and his Thai gf visited Koh Poda in the same area. Paid 2,000 bht for a long tail boat trip, boat operator conveniently forgot to mention they also had to pay an island access fee of 40/400 bht.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 12:44 AM, ukrules said:

I know a pair of idiots who bought a house and paid twice what it was actually worth, perhaps more common that you would appreciate.

I know what it's worth because I know how much some of the other houses in the row (all built at the same time) were sold for - they have no idea either as I haven't told them ????

Its only worth what someone will pay for it. To put it another way, it's value is whatever you can get.  That's the same as in any commercial transaction. 

• Like 2

Double pricing, if foreigners really were charged or expected to pay much more than a Thai for MAJOR purchases, then reason to complain, pay higher entry to National Parks to fund the upkeep, nah fellas you are just miserable tight gits!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Double pricing, if foreigners really were charged or expected to pay much more than a Thai for MAJOR purchases, then reason to complain, pay higher entry to National Parks to fund the upkeep, nah fellas you are just miserable tight gits!!

Didn't get wealthy by spending on overpriced dual priced items.  Value means a lot, when a non Thai migrant pays the same as a Thai and goes through a different gate then a foreigner/expat/tourist then there is a scam to lessen what one carries in their pockets and fatten someone else's.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2021 at 11:35 PM, gunderhill said:

Having learned their  lesson with Covid and forever keen to  bring tourists  back to Thailand on a  trip today to James  Bond Island where there was  virtually  no one there, my Wife informs  me Thais 60 baht, Farlang 300  baht.

Good to see things improving.

Farangs pay 300B because they want to see James Bond Island. From a movie from 1974 - almost 50 years ago!

Thai pay just the minimum because they are not interested in that old movie. They go there because some farang told them he wants to go there. ???? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1