What treatment next for high White blood cells

georgegeorgia

Just had a blood test my test showed 11.4 in WCC...6 months before it was 7.7

Apparently the normal range is 4.0 to 11.0 so mine is .04 over...

The Doctor who is a young guy   didn't seem too concerned and told me my body is probably fighting a infection...and " don't worry about it" ...wait a few weeks and get another one...you"LL be right '" before usher me out the door 

I go home look at the internet it says leukaemia !!!!

Anyone else have this ?

Is it called myocytes? 

Self diagnosis on the internet often ends up with the person incorrectly diagnosing themselves with something or other that is fatal.

I could well be wrong, but I thought WBCs are present as a result of them fighting an infection of some kind of other. As such, the best way to reduce the WBCs is to fix the root cause of the problem.

@Sheryl is away from the forum for a few days, but I have tagged this post so that she can see it when she returns.

• Like 2

For a start, while waiting for professional reassurance from Sheryl, who will be back on the forum in a few days, do not worry because your latest leukocyte count is minimally, 3.6%, above what is usually considered the upper end of the normal range. Have confidence in what your doctor told you and do doubt his competence because of his young age.

If before your due date for the next blood test you get symptoms of a disease (fever, shortness of breath, etc) go back to your doctor for an examination and diagnosis.

• Thanks 1

Never go to the internet for looking up a medical condition. Unless you are qualified in medicine it will just make you panic as you will invariably think you have something that you dont

• Like 2

Internet says something different, you are on 11400, so not near 100000:

"So WBC in leukaemia is about 20 to 40 times much higher than WBC normal count. A healthy person has white blood cell WBC count is of about 4000 to 11000 and person with acute or even chronic leukaemia WBC count eleveted upto 100000 to 400000 range."

https://biologysir.com/wbc-count-for-leukemia-and-leukemia-symptoms/

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Thanks 1

On 14/03/2021 at 5:26 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Internet says something different, you are on 11400, so not near 100000:

"So WBC in leukaemia is about 20 to 40 times much higher than WBC normal count. A healthy person has white blood cell WBC count is of about 4000 to 11000 and person with acute or even chronic leukaemia WBC count eleveted upto 100000 to 400000 range."

https://biologysir.com/wbc-count-for-leukemia-and-leukemia-symptoms/

Thanks !!!!!

I didn't know that ...I was ready to make a Will 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 12:44 AM, upu2 said:

Never go to the internet for looking up a medical condition. Unless you are qualified in medicine it will just make you panic as you will invariably think you have something that you dont

Never say never.

While I agree that much information on the internet can mislead and cause unjustified anxiety, it can also, with judicious use provide answers that sometimes elude even experienced medical professionals. 

Doctors are human like the rest of us and they can have blind spots. Years of medical experience is usually an asset but there can be instances of critical dismissiveness.

Five years ago, I suddenly began experiencing extremely sharp, intermittent pain in my upper right thigh when I walked. It was like being stabbed by a hot knife.  

I went to the internet.  There are a few websites that are usually dependable for accurate information (Mayo Clinic, Web MD) and don't immediately try to sell you stuff.  

Sifting through my symptoms, I found one rare condition: "Meralgia Paresthetica", essentially a pinched lateral cutaneous nerve that exactly matched my symptoms.  I printed it out and went to nearby Sukhumvit Hospital.  Long story short, the Orthopedist dismissed my print-out with a wave and insisted on a spinal MRI stating I clearly had a spinal problem.  Pretty much the same at Bumrungrad.

I sought a recommendation from Sheryl and she suggested Dr. Wicharn at BNH.

Dr. Wicharn was willing to read my print-out. He stated that in 20 years he had only seen one case of M.P. and very much doubted that was the condition I had. He did however, offer me the option to have a nerve function test; basically electrically stimulating the lower body nerves while electronically monitoring them. That test would confirm or rule-out M.P.  I elected to have the test and returned two days later for the results.

Dr. Wicharn's first words to me were: "I owe you an apology. You were right and I was wrong."   He went on to say that considering my specific symptoms, he should have considered MP even though it was rare.  A treatment scheme was devised and within a few weeks, I was pain free.

If I had not researched my symptoms on my own,  chances are that my condition would have never been properly diagnosed or MP  even being considered.  I could have ended-up stuck with what easily could have become a chronic and debilitating condition.

Like all sources of knowledge, that which the internet provides must always be filtered through other sources of knowledge but to dismiss it's usefulness out of hand is foolish as well.

• Like 1