300 Baht for certificate of residence - take it or leave it !

Although I have paid I think 200b in the past, the last time I needed one from TRAT I.O.(new staff) because Transport office refused yellow book/pink card, and the nice counter staff even rang them and told them it was not needed, (but they wouldn't budge) issued it for free in 10min.????  Therefore it must be free otherwise, surely they would have charged me.

44 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Nevertheless it was a nonsensical statement ("skin tax"). Most people who are extorted or asked for tea money by Thai officials are fellow Thai citizens. Just not immigration officials usually, as they deal almost exclusively with foreigners.

Been to a National Park lately? Been to the Grand Palace lately? Caught a baht bus lately?

Edited by PatOngo

42 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Been to a National Park lately? Been to the Grand Palace lately? Caught a baht bus lately?

You're all over the place. This topic is about charging an unofficial service fee for a service that has no official fee. As it just so happens, only foreigners need to avail themselves of this particular service. 

National Parks and the Grand Palace, on the other hand, have official price lists with higher prices for foreigners. Although you may not like that either, it's quite a bit different.

Baht busses, you mean in Pattaya? Simply give them th exact change, never a problem. No idea what this has to do with government officials demanding money for a service they are supposed to provide for free though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Caldera said:

As it just so happens, only foreigners need to avail themselves of this particular service. 

Is'nt that the bottom line, farang being ripped off whether by immigration or WHOEVER?

• Haha 1

A couple of years ago at Buriram IO I was asked for 400-500 Baht, no receipt, to transfer my visa stamps from my old passport to my new. I said no I wasn't going to pay. They then did it and I didn't pay. Unfortunately those farang that leave their balls outside as they enter their IO are the ones that cause the problems with tea money, not immigration officers. Grow some.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No, it's what you made it.

The guy two places in front of me kicked off about not paying ( maybe that was you ? ), the IO said “ okay “ gave him a receipt and said “ come back, 30 days “.

The next guy enquired about getting it quickly, the IO said “ 500 baht “ and gave him one in 5 mins.

I weighed up my options and went with the latter .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DJ54 said:

The immigration office I go To are super nice folks.. it was long ago I got 2 ( Car and Moto) don’t recall being asked to pay ..

but I gave they a couple hundred baht for quick painless service..

At 300 you really didn’t get taken for a ride.. 

NEVER tip policemen, it is against the law and tempts them to extort other foreigners. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

A couple of years ago at Buriram IO I was asked for 400-500 Baht, no receipt, to transfer my visa stamps from my old passport to my new. I said no I wasn't going to pay. They then did it and I didn't pay. Unfortunately those farang that leave their balls outside as they enter their IO are the ones that cause the problems with tea money, not immigration officers. Grow some.

You nailed it brother. 

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

No extortion here, citizens get discount, like most countries. 

Nothing like the illegal charging extortion of vulnerable foreigners, many of whom are elderly and terrified that the immigration officer won't like them if they have a backbone and stand up for their basic rights.

Can you imagine what Thai citizens would do if the police charged them openly and illegally? The naivety and stupidity of foreigners is laughed at by immigration police. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The guy two places in front of me kicked off about not paying ( maybe that was you ? ), the IO said “ okay “ gave him a receipt and said “ come back, 30 days “.

The next guy enquired about getting it quickly, the IO said “ 500 baht “ and gave him one in 5 mins.

I actually went to the IO with a friend who also wanted his stamps transferred.  He was not asked for any tea money and they did my stamp transfers there and then.

After the incident many people said that 'you've caused them to lose face and you'll live to regret your actions'. Have since renewed my extension, done 90 day reports, and not one word said, or service declined.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

No extortion here, citizens get discount, like most countries. 

Nothing like the illegal charging extortion of vulnerable foreigners, many of whom are elderly and terrified that the immigration officer won't like them if they have a backbone and stand up for their basic rights.

Can you imagine what Thai citizens would do if the police charged them openly and illegally? The naivety and stupidity of foreigners is laughed at by immigration police. 

Most of those vulnerable foreigners  have Thai citizen partners who accompany them and readily/meekly accept the extortion also.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mancub said:

Most of those vulnerable foreigners  have Thai citizen partners who accompany them and readily/meekly accept the extortion also.

Agreed. 

My wife's friend has a farm and she employs a few foreign workers. Every 90 days she has to go to immigration to do their 90 day reports. She is charged 100 Baht per worker each time. As we all know there is no charge. She knows that we farang pay nothing but she doesn't complain. But now she wants me to do their reporting as I won't be charged saving her a fair bit of money. I told her to do them online. Will she? I very much doubt it.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

Burmese, laos, Khmers holding L-A work visas can not do 90 day reports online, I did it once for my gf an they told me in strong terms its NOT allowed,

Never asked for any baht thou.

Agree with the statement about retiree's  taking their SO's,  ( no idea why)  with them to immigration and often having to pay when asked, as the lady says,  "just pay, its the thai way"  ????

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Thanks for that info ZZZZZ. I wonder if a farang did it in person, for a foreigner, they'd not be charged?

My gf needs go in person,  wont allow me to do it for her.  

Agent i know that deals with Burmese never pays to do 90 day reports for the workers/employer's that use her

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Burmese, laos, Khmers holding L-A work visas can not do 90 day reports online, I did it once for my gf an they told me in strong terms its NOT allowed,

That might depend upon the office processing the report application.

On 3/12/2021 at 8:44 AM, Brick Top said:

I have never been charged in Phuket in 20 years , I must have had about 12 off them over the years , and quite rightly , as its free .

Exactly.. I also use phuket immigration the last 30 years. Once they tried and I smiled and said. Do you have a reciept? no.. the officer is not here to give you one.. Ooooh.. I thought I was looking at one right now i said.. Stamp.. no fee and out.

I realize they force you to wait in other provinces though if you dont pay up. However. It is again a free servive.. It even says so on the wall in immigration I read once.

Edited by paahlman

38 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How many residence certificates have you needed in 30 years. Just curious how often you needed one.

once every 5 years for a dl, ( only had a license since 92) once every time you buy or sell a motorcycle or car

once every time u get ur sea caption's license or buy or sell a boat

In 35 years here... maybe 12

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

once every 5 years for a dl, ( only had a license since 92) once every time you buy or sell a motorcycle or car

once every time u get ur sea caption's license or buy or sell a boat

In 35 years here... maybe 12

I realize imm offices charge different amounts. The biggest office being CW which charge 200baht that includes postage with tracking. So your 12x200=2400baht. Over your 35 years that is 68baht/year which includes buying and selling boats. We definitely need few more threads on this tripe topic.

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2021 at 8:27 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

But they’re the friends you really want to have out there. They don’t get many tourists, and don’t have as much activity nor support as other places. Help em out man.

I heard it’s not uncommon to end up exchanging cell numbers with a ranking officer, who might call upon you for something trivial, like a photo op to show he’s out and about working with the farangs. Then you may call upon him for favours as well.

Had a high ranking (colonel) police officer send me (and others that were tourists) an email requesting me to take an survey for his PhD.

He added all the emails in plain .. I could see anyone who was in Thailand (and mind you found some interesting people in there lol ) . Talk about privacy in Thailand Police force.

Imagine something like would happen in EU.  Jesus what a scandal would that be..

Edited by anon7854

On 3/13/2021 at 10:29 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Which is exactly the point. Some people don't value their time and trouble because they're retired, unemployed or simply love to argue with officials and sit around all day. Plus in many cases your taxi fee is higher than the requested tea money or an agent fee.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zzzzz said:

My gf needs go in person,  wont allow me to do it for her.  

Agent i know that deals with Burmese never pays to do 90 day reports for the workers/employer's that use her

The fee for these kind of tasks if packaged into the initial visa the agent processes for migrant workers. Just like most agents who offer the 55k THB Volunteer Visas advertised with "free 90 day report".

On 3/12/2021 at 1:25 PM, digger70 said:

That's fine ,but you Pay More for their service, and some is Illegal. 

I do all my own By the Book (Legal).

If you have time to do all this on your own then sure why not, especially if you live close to an IO.

I did this in the past as well like 10+ years ago but I was in a different financial situation back then, being a student and all. I rather spent the 1000 Baht on a few beers. Nowadays I find it easier to just pay for what I need even if it includes an extra fee.

I wouldn't task an agent with doing anything illegal for me and we're on the topic of a residence certificate so I can't see what agents might be compelled to do illegally for that. Those are very straight forward things, it just saves me a boat load of time and inconvenience (in some cases even cost neutral considering Grab fees to get to the IO). Now, if people hire agents to get them visas they don't qualify for I'm with you that's a shaky situation.

• Like 1