Big Joke latest: Controversial cop back at RTP HQ as top advisory position awaits

rooster59

52 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Which didn't work because of all the foreigners terrified of not getting their visa. 

I never had one worry about extending my visa and why should I, I'm 100% kosher - always was and always will be. I would suggest that those that were worried about Big Joke were dodgy and trying to manipulate the system - so hope he gets back to what he was doing very successfully and show all the dodgy a/ hole the exit door, that in turn translates to an easier life for the legitimate visa extension applicants. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

14 hours ago, Artisi said:

I never had one worry about extending my visa and why should I, I'm 100% kosher - always was and always will be. I would suggest that those that were worried about Big Joke were dodgy and trying to manipulate the system - so hope he gets back to what he was doing very successfully and show all the dodgy a/ hole the exit door, that in turn translates to an easier life for the legitimate visa extension applicants. 

You wouldn't be posting such ivory tower drivel if you'd experienced what was offered  to me by an IO at Jomtien a few tears ago. I was worried that exchange rates might fall sharply enough to affect my ability to meet the 65.000bht/mth to renew my Retirement extension. The IO told me "no worry, you pay me 14,000bht when you bring your KBank passbook 1 month before the renewal date".

I thanked her for the offer which I never had to take up, because exchange rates steadied, to my relief. Have you ever thought that it takes 2 to dance the corruption 'tango'. In this instance I was being invited to dance by an IO, who I thought was dodgy and manipulative enough to spot a financial opportunity. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 9:49 AM, JingerBen said:

Spot on.

When he took over CM Immigration a while back things improved immediately.

When he left, everything - more or less - reverted to the way they were before.

What Improved exactly? I cannot comment on Chaing Mai IO. But I can't think of anything that has improved here in Thailand since the unelected "PM" and his soldiers bullied their way into power in 2014.

2 hours ago, joebrown said:

You wouldn't be posting such ivory tower drivel if you'd experienced what was offered  to me by an IO at Jomtien a few tears ago. I was worried that exchange rates might fall sharply enough to affect my ability to meet the 65.000bht/mth to renew my Retirement extension. The IO told me "no worry, you pay me 14,000bht when you bring your KBank passbook 1 month before the renewal date".

I thanked her for the offer which I never had to take up, because exchange rates steadied, to my relief. Have you ever thought that it takes 2 to dance the corruption 'tango'. In this instance I was being invited to dance by an IO, who I thought was dodgy and manipulative enough to spot a financial opportunity. 

Probably one reason why BJ was disliked by many IO and many farangs - for weeding out corruption. 

And it's not ivory tower drivel, it's understanding the foibles of Thai immigration and making provision to cover all eventualities - pretty simple really. 

Edited by Artisi

2 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmm.....someone called Big Joke certainly inspires my confidence

I think the "big" part is a hint? I mean we have Big Tuu and Big Pom at the top of the heap.

No ironic mafia type names I guess. Like "tiny" for the 200 Kg guy.

One local take...

Only 49 years of age, Lieutenant General Suarchate Hapkarn was born in Songkhla province. He earned his nickname at cadet college over his breakfast preferences. It’s a bit difficult for foreigners to understand but it involves a Thai breakfast concoction of gruel made from rice. The Thai expression is ‘Joke Waan Jiap’ which  translated means ‘joke that is sweeter than sweet’ and it stuck to the young policeman. It has since become a legend in Thailand.

55 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I think the "big" part is a hint? I mean we have Big Tuu and Big Pom at the top of the heap.

No ironic mafia type names I guess. Like "tiny" for the 200 Kg guy.

One local take...

Only 49 years of age, Lieutenant General Suarchate Hapkarn was born in Songkhla province. He earned his nickname at cadet college over his breakfast preferences. It’s a bit difficult for foreigners to understand but it involves a Thai breakfast concoction of gruel made from rice. The Thai expression is ‘Joke Waan Jiap’ which  translated means ‘joke that is sweeter than sweet’ and it stuck to the young policeman. It has since become a legend in Thailand.

There is also a need to understand that Joke is more like Jock than joke, as in funny. 

On 3/13/2021 at 3:00 PM, 4MyEgo said:

I would have loved to see the guy who took his place sent to the PM's office so that Big Joke could get his old job back, no doubt that ain't going to happen, but his new position will probably open him up to other bigger opportunities.

I do hope he presses on with the court case against what's his face.

..he will be Assistant Commissioner in no time.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Artisi said:

It would seem all the negative comments are from those who something to worry about...... 

This is what authoritarians the world over say.  "You don't have to worry about excessive police powers if you just obey our orders."  I'm not saying this applies to BJ, but your argument sounds familiar to me as a lefty. 

1 hour ago, wealthychef said:

This is what authoritarians the world over say.  "You don't have to worry about excessive police powers if you just obey our orders."  I'm not saying this applies to BJ, but your argument sounds familiar to me as a lefty. 

Wrong by a very big margin, in left, right and central depending on circumstances, as for BJ and Immig. / requirements, what's the problem, the rules are the rules, sure some IO's need a little encouragement (corrupt) and should be out on their a rse - something the BJ was addressing, maybe to his detriment a couple of years back. 

I always read complaints here about Thailand being a lawless country, or laws not being enforced.

Big joke enforced the laws, and the same people are whining again.

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

It would seem all the negative comments are from those who something to worry about...... 

I know. Isn't it always the same. Why I remember Germany in the 30's. Oh right, they were correct to be worried.

Nevermind.

An odd deflection. The negative comments on Thai social media seem more concerned about corruption.

On 3/13/2021 at 2:17 PM, SymS said:

AFAIK, he was still in Thailand, just in a different position. The title makes it read like he went to Cambodia or something.

Didn't he go to India as a Buddhist monk or something, after his vehicle was riddled?

• Like 1