Public Notory In Thailand

I need to get a form for my wife's visa notorized. I know that I can find a public notory at the U.S. embassy in Bangkok but I was wondering if there was any other place that I can go. I am up in Phitsanuloke and I wonder if a thai lawyer or government official is able to do it. I have been notified by one individiual who explained that it can't be done in thailand because it is a "farang" thing and that I would have to go to the embassy. I find that hard to believe. Can anybody out there clarify this for me? Where can I go besides the embassy?

Edited by gbt71fa

I assume the I-864 Affidavit of Support is what you need notarized. I think the instructions are pretty clear that this must be "signed by the sponsor (petitioning relative) before a notary public (or a consular officer if not in the United States)".

I also note the following in the checklist from the US Embassy:

"Mistakes in completing the I-864 and incomplete supporting documentation are the most common reason for immigrant visa denials."

TH

A notary public is an official with a commission issued by a specific state. This commission is not valid in any other state -- in other words, the notary can only certify the signature of someone who appears before him/her in that specific state. The notary cannot go to another state and certify documents there -- the commission would not be valid. The same concept applies to notarizing documents in Thailand. No state's commission would be valid here.

I assume the I-864 Affidavit of Support is what you need notarized. I think the instructions are pretty clear that this must be "signed by the sponsor (petitioning relative) before a notary public (or a consular officer if not in the United States)".

I also note the following in the checklist from the US Embassy:

"Mistakes in completing the I-864 and incomplete supporting documentation are the most common reason for immigrant visa denials."

TH

that is what I was afraid of...now I will have to head to Bangkok a few days earlier so we can get to the embassy and get it notorized. Thanks for the link....man, this is an expensive process. Sneaking her up through Mexico and into Cali would have been easier.

I just paid 1170 baht or $30.00 for a Notary stamp at the embassy

You can park for free under the Conrad Bldg. just spend 200 baht in participating shops ( Top's Market or Burger King) and get the receipt validated

Jim

A notary public is an official with a commission issued by a specific state. This commission is not valid in any other state -- in other words, the notary can only certify the signature of someone who appears before him/her in that specific state. The notary cannot go to another state and certify documents there -- the commission would not be valid. The same concept applies to notarizing documents in Thailand. No state's commission would be valid here.

There's an Illinois notary in Pattaya. I've obtained his current & valid notary seal on a document.

This could develop into an endless argument and I'm thinking this will be my last word on the issue.

Whether or not the notary seal is acceptable depends upon the ultimate agency or whatever that requires that a document be notarized. A bank or private company may accept a notary seal placed on a document here; I doubt that a government agency or court would.

When I applied for my social security, I had to submit certain notarized documents. SSA would not accept anything other than a consular seal from outside the US.

As I've said before, a notary's commission is issued by a state; outside that particular state, the commission is meaningless.

I need to get a form for my wife's visa notorized. I know that I can find a public notory at the U.S. embassy in Bangkok but I was wondering if there was any other place that I can go. I am up in Phitsanuloke and I wonder if a thai lawyer or government official is able to do it. I have been notified by one individiual who explained that it can't be done in thailand because it is a "farang" thing and that I would have to go to the embassy. I find that hard to believe. Can anybody out there clarify this for me? Where can I go besides the embassy?

i just got a usa marriage visa for my thai wife .You only need to notarize on the 1 864 if you base your support on assets not income.i read all the instructions and mine wasnt notarized,got the visa,15 second interview.

When i ever need notarization i use a thai lawyer who can do it for about 1000 or around there.