Eight killed in Atlanta-area shooting rampage; suspect arrested

webfact

1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's a ridiculous argument. It's like saying that the best way to avoid attacks on women would be to restrict women's rights to go out of their houses.

We are in the midst of a pandemic, so we have to think "out of the box". The point is for calm so that Asian American can feel safe in public. Chinese tourists, students, etc, don't have rights in the US if they are not there.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

The increase in hate crimes is new.  Are the increase in hate crimes against Asians being committed by young black men?

The way hate crimes are counted is certainly new. I said crimes, not hate crimes. It does not surprise me that you and others here and in the media want to focus on the few hundred "hate crimes" per year committed against Asians they can make political hay from while ignoring the quarter-million violent crimes committed  Asians in the same year. 

In the report you linked to hate crimes against Jews are much more frequent and seem to be rising much more rapidly than those against Asians, yet not a peep from you or anyone about that. Guess that doesn't fit the narrative.

The DOJ's annual "Criminal Victimization" reports are a good recourse if you are really interested.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The way hate crimes are counted is certainly new. I said crimes, not hate crimes. It does not surprise me that you and others here and in the media want to focus on the few hundred "hate crimes" per year committed against Asians they can make political hay from while ignoring the quarter-million violent crimes committed  Asians in the same year. 

In the report you linked to hate crimes against Jews are much more frequent and seem to be rising much more rapidly than those against Asians, yet not a peep from you or anyone about that. Guess that doesn't fit the narrative.

The DOJ's annual "Criminal Victimization" reports are a good recourse if you are really interested.

This particular hate crime was directed against Asian people.  Had it been directed against Jewish people I would have used an appropriate reference for that.

I'm curious; what is your source for "the quarter-million violent crimes committed  Asians in the same year"?  Is there is a credible source breaking America's crimes down by race of victim and perpetrator?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

This particular hate crime was directed against Asian people.  Had it been directed against Jewish people I would have used an appropriate reference for that.

I'm curious; what is your source for "the quarter-million violent crimes committed  Asians in the same year"?  Is there is a credible source breaking America's crimes down by race of victim and perpetrator?

The DOJ, I thought I made that clear, sorry. 

47 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You read a wrong DOJ report. You should be reading the DOJ Hate Crime report by the FBI. The Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) program serves as the national repository for crime data voluntarycollected and submitted by law enforcement. FBI releases the Hate Crime statistics each year. You will find that the defination of hate crime has not changed and spelled out in much certain legal terms.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Fair enough. So given the report you linked to shows that about five times as many Jews suffer from hate crimes than do Asians, and the same report shows that the increase in hate crimes against Jews over the same period is 56.49% compared to the 12.86% increase in the rise of hate crimes against Asians, why do you think the media seems to be largely ignoring  it? 

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Fair enough. So given the report you linked to shows that about five times as many Jews suffer from hate crimes than do Asians, and the same report shows that the increase in hate crimes against Jews over the same period is 56.49% compared to the 12.86% increase in the rise of hate crimes against Asians, why do you think the media seems to be largely ignoring  it? 

The media isn't ignoring it.  Just not focusing on it right now due to the mass murder of Asians in Georgia. 

Edited by Jeffr2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You read a wrong DOJ report. You should be reading the DOJ Hate Crime report by the FBI. The Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) program serves as the national repository for crime data voluntarycollected and submitted by law enforcement. FBI releases the Hate Crime statistics each year. You will find that the defination of hate crime has not changed and spelled out in much certain legal terms.  

Why would I look to a report on hate crimes for information about all violent crimes?

I never said the DOJ had changed how they defined hate crimes. 

Do you even read what you respond to?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Are you sure you don't have my post or link confused with another?  This is the link I provided:   https://www.cbsnews.com/news/asian-american-hate-crimes-up-150-percent-us/

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Why would I look to a report on hate crimes for information about all violent crimes?

I never said the DOJ had changed how they defined hate crimes. 

Do you even read what you respond to?

The “hate crime” designation does seem a little arbitrary and like it has potential to shift focus onto a minority of cases rather than on the majority.   A Korean grocer shot by a poor kid during a robbery is just as dead as a Chinese masseuse shot by a deranged redneck but the “hate crime” designation makes the former less important even if those cases are more numerous. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sujo said:

That takes the cake as the weirdest logic i have ever read.

We are banning you because we are bad and cannot be trusted to not commit violence upon you. So stay away so we dont have to give you your rights.

No, the idea is to calm people prone to violence by removing an irritant. It is politically impossible to take guns away from these people. We want to prevent violence against Asian-Americans, so tell those "Christians" that real Chinese are being banned from entry, and please treat your fellow Americans with respect. This may create a certain amount of peer pressure to compensate for the race baiting of the last four years.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The dramatic spike in anti Asian hate crimes in the U.S. during the pandemic has been overwhelming impacting American citizens rather than tourists. 

That's not surprising. Chinese tourists and others must be few these days.

It's not easy to find solutions to this problem. Banning a relative handful of people could benefit Asian-Americans. Create a perception on the part of those who are liable to commit hate crimes, that something is being done in response to their anxieties. It may calm them down.

Historically, there have been notorious episodes of maltreatment of Asians in America. The internment of Japanese-Americans during WW2 was done by government. Trump certainly exacerbated some existing resentments. After poorer Americans have gone through 20 years of losing jobs to China, there's fertile ground for hate crimes. 

24 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

This whole incidence is bizarre.

The sex addition thing which the accused is peddling is nonsense. These were middle aged women, mothers, just doing their job. A couple on a date night enjoying a massage together.

Whatever screwed up religious guilt he might have, blame his parents, church, whatever, not the poor innocent women and men he killed.

And NO he wasn't having a bad day, he killed people, period!

Well obviously his claim of being a sex addict is no excuse at all for murdering people. But a person can be multiple things at the same time. From what I've heard being a sex addict wasn't his problem. It sounds like he couldn't process his fundamentalist extremist sexually repressive background with his normal sexual urges. He even believed masturbation was wrong.  I know there is political pressure to charge him with an anti-Asian hate crime, but from what I've heard there is no hard evidence as yet that it was. Yes he targeted Asian spas that may or may not have been rub and tug shops but there is nothing in his background to indicate an obsession with hating Asians, blaming them for the pandemic, etc. There was a report in the Korean press saying he said Kill All Asians during the murders but that hasn't been confirmed. If that or other evidence like that is confirmed, then there would evidence to add the anti-Asian hate crime part.

19 hours ago, heybruce said:

Are you sure you don't have my post or link confused with another?  This is the link I provided:   https://www.cbsnews.com/news/asian-american-hate-crimes-up-150-percent-us/

That is only one of the links you posted, you also posted a link the "study" the CBS propaganda piece is (apparently) based on.

It was in the same post you provided the above link.

6 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

This whole incidence is bizarre.

The sex addition thing which the accused is peddling is nonsense. These were middle aged women, mothers, just doing their job. A couple on a date night enjoying a massage together.

Whatever screwed up religious guilt he might have, blame his parents, church, whatever, not the poor innocent women and men he killed.

And NO he wasn't having a bad day, he killed people, period!

Would you take your wife to the "spa" in the OP photo on date night? 

On 3/21/2021 at 6:27 PM, heybruce said:

Perhaps you should find a better source of news:

"A new study based on police department statistics across major U.S. cities found a nearly 150% surge in anti-Asian hate crimes in 2020, while overall hate crimes fell by 7%."   https://www.cbsnews.com/news/asian-american-hate-crimes-up-150-percent-us/

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

That is only one of the links you posted, you also posted a link the "study" the CBS propaganda piece is (apparently) based on.

It was in the same post you provided the above link.

Yes, and the study referenced in the CBS link showed a 159% increase in Asian hate crime in 2020, the year Trump started his "China virus" and "Kung flu" nonsense.  That is the statistic pertinent to this topic.  Why do you bring up the pre-2020 numbers?

5 hours ago, heybruce said:

Yes, and the study referenced in the CBS link showed a 159% increase in Asian hate crime in 2020, the year Trump started his "China virus" and "Kung flu" nonsense.  That is the statistic pertinent to this topic.  Why do you bring up the pre-2020 numbers?

So it is your position that the increase in hate-crimes against Asians and that nut-sack that is the topic of this thread killed all these people because Trump called covid the China virus and kung-flu?

If so, are not all the media outlets and other politicians that used the same terminology not also culpable?

Per the "study" the SeeBS article linked to, there were 49 hate crimes against Asians in 2019 and 122 in 2020 

For a little perspective, the same "study" shows there are almost a thousand hate crimes a year against Jews. Given there are about five million Jews in the US compared to about 20 million Asians. So apparently, per the study a Jew is about forty times more likely to be the victim of  a hate crime than an Asian yet they make no mention of that. 

Incidentally, the same "study" show that 10% of the population believes that Trump is directly responsible for the virus itself. That's like what, 20% of Democrats? How funny is that? 

On 3/21/2021 at 6:27 PM, heybruce said:

Perhaps you should find a better source of news:

"A new study based on police department statistics across major U.S. cities found a nearly 150% surge in anti-Asian hate crimes in 2020, while overall hate crimes fell by 7%."   https://www.cbsnews.com/news/asian-american-hate-crimes-up-150-percent-us/

16 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

So it is your position that the increase in hate-crimes against Asians and that nut-sack that is the topic of this thread killed all these people because Trump called covid the China virus and kung-flu?

If so, are not all the media outlets and other politicians that used the same terminology not also culpable?

Per the "study" the SeeBS article linked to, there were 49 hate crimes against Asians in 2019 and 122 in 2020 

For a little perspective, the same "study" shows there are almost a thousand hate crimes a year against Jews. Given there are about five million Jews in the US compared to about 20 million Asians. So apparently, per the study a Jew is about forty times more likely to be the victim of  a hate crime than an Asian yet they make no mention of that. 

Incidentally, the same "study" show that 10% of the population believes that Trump is directly responsible for the virus itself. That's like what, 20% of Democrats? How funny is that? 

When you posted:

"There is nothing new about the rise in crimes against Asians, and most of the crimes committed against Asians are committed in urban areas by young black men, perhaps that's why you don't see a lot of it in SD. "

I replied with the post shown above.  My point was that there was a big increase in hate crimes against Asians.  At first you wanted to dispute that, when that didn't work you now are arguing that it isn't important.

Yes, I think Trump and his racist rhetoric, and all the pro-Trump media outlets who amplified that rhetoric, are responsible for the increase in hate crimes against Asians.

• Like 2