Facing 'crisis of century', EU threatens ban on COVID vaccine exports to UK

webfact

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

Exactly .....a different dosage application timeframe ....,

Boris spread the interval time to give more people a jab ...., so he could show  politic way another magic achievement as his Christmas deal  , and now this longer in-between period risk to become to long as already stretchered  out far longer than the normally prescribed/advised timeframe .

As now risk of supply looming 

Or could it be that Boris listened to AstraZeneca

“I think the UK one-dose strategy is absolutely the right way to go, at least for our vaccine. I cannot comment about the Pfizer vaccine, whose studies are for a three-week interval. In our case, the trial we're talking about was conducted by Oxford University. 

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2021/01/26/news/interview_pascal_soriot_ceo_astrazeneca_coronavirus_covid_vaccines-284349628/

On 3/18/2021 at 6:16 AM, mr mr said:

anyone remember those BS slogans floating around a while back. 

stronger together......

this is a perfect example of why our species only talks a big game. are we really fighting over a vaccine ? really ?

i would like to leave earth now.  

There is a space station. ????

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Or could it be that Boris listened to AstraZeneca

“I think the UK one-dose strategy is absolutely the right way to go, at least for our vaccine. I cannot comment about the Pfizer vaccine, whose studies are for a three-week interval. In our case, the trial we're talking about was conducted by Oxford University. 

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2021/01/26/news/interview_pascal_soriot_ceo_astrazeneca_coronavirus_covid_vaccines-284349628/

Could be .....

but do not forget AZ is a seller  with a very big audience watching on them , remember they are business giants , and already this vaccine  was because high need  rushed as in a race  , as in normal times such takes ...years .... hence also the warning for older people as not enough test data available , and because of  that  the warning from E.U. came (probably based on medical advisors ...) to give only on younger age groups until further data or experience  ... 

But 3 weeks in between was generally advised ...in beginning  until  Boris good scores where needed  on the jab map ..????

Politics took control over the medics advisors ...

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

Could be .....

but do not forget AZ is a seller  with a very big audience watching on them , remember they are business giants , and already this vaccine  was because high need  rushed as in a race  , as in normal times such takes ...years .... hence also the warning for older people as not enough test data available , and because of  that  the warning from E.U. came (probably based on medical advisors ...) to give only on younger age groups until further data or experience  ... 

More information for you to chew over

AstraZeneca vaccine: delaying the second dose increases protection, according to new data

The paper also suggests that delaying the second dose to 12 weeks after the first works especially well. The protective effect of the first dose doesn’t appear to wane during these 12 weeks, and leaving a longer gap between doses ultimately seems to make the second more protective.

https://theconversation.com/astrazeneca-vaccine-delaying-the-second-dose-increases-protection-according-to-new-data-154617

Researchers urge delaying Pfizer vaccine's second dose as first highly effective

The second dose of Pfizer Inc’s COVID-19 vaccine could be delayed in order to cover all priority groups as the first one is highly protective, two Canada-based researchers said in a letter published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-pfizer-idUSKBN2AI0EC

HEALTH AND SCIENCE

Real-world data shows Pfizer’s Covid vaccine is giving ‘very strong’ results after one dose

Since the study started in January, protection against symptomatic Covid, four weeks after the first dose, ranged between 57% and 61% for the Pfizer vaccine and between 60% and 73% for the AstraZeneca inoculation.

It also said it suggested that a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine is 85% effective at preventing death with Covid-19 for those over 80.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/02/coronavirus-uk-charts-show-how-pfizers-vaccine-is-working.html

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

AstraZeneca vaccine: delaying the second dose increases protection, according to new data

The paper also suggests that delaying the second dose to 12 weeks after the first works especially well. The protective effect of the first dose doesn’t appear to wane during these 12 weeks, and leaving a longer gap between doses ultimately seems to make the second more protective.

https://theconversation.com/astrazeneca-vaccine-delaying-the-second-dose-increases-protection-according-to-new-data-154617

Researchers urge delaying Pfizer vaccine's second dose as first highly effective

The second dose of Pfizer Inc’s COVID-19 vaccine could be delayed in order to cover all priority groups as the first one is highly protective, two Canada-based researchers said in a letter published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

HEALTH AND SCIENCE

Real-world data shows Pfizer’s Covid vaccine is giving ‘very strong’ results after one dose

Since the study started in January, protection against symptomatic Covid, four weeks after the first dose, ranged between 57% and 61% for the Pfizer vaccine and between 60% and 73% for the AstraZeneca inoculation.

It also said it suggested that a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine is 85% effective at preventing death with Covid-19 for those over 80.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/02/coronavirus-uk-charts-show-how-pfizers-vaccine-is-working.html

Like said Could be 

and further it is their medical PR  mill from all , not only A.Z. however that one was most in need for PR  because the Boris pushed speeding for results ......, but now the second jab's are those for 49 years , start become endangered on first coming month's 

It is all a grey zone what is best system  ,it is for now like an extended clinical mass study .....

(unpaid , as normal test persons get a very good money for that ...????...)

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

Like said Could be 

and further it is their medical PR  mill from all , not only A.Z. however that one was most in need for PR  because the Boris pushed speeding for results ......, but now the second jab s or those for 49 years start become endangered on first coming month's 

It is all a grey zone what is best system  ,it is for now like an extended clinical mass study .....

(unpaid , as normal test persons get a very good money for that ...????...)

I look forward to you providing supporting links to backup your claims

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, vinny41 said:

I look forward to you providing supporting links to backup your claims

You are making yourself ridiculous with your eternal asking for links ????, if you can not defend anymore .....

This my opinion , no links available , i always put links when publish article .... as needed by ....,  and as i am not a brexiteer ???? so ..... , even not a remainer ,but  a E.U. European  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Exactly .....a different dosage application timeframe ....,

Boris spread the interval time to give more people a jab ...., so he could show  politic way another magic achievement as his Christmas deal  , and now this longer in-between period risk to become too long as already stretchered  out far longer than the normally prescribed/advised timeframe .

As now risk of supply could be looming 

53 minutes ago, david555 said:

Could be .....

But 3 weeks in between was generally advised ...in beginning  until  Boris good scores where needed  on the jab map ..????

Politics took control over the medics advisors ...

So No supporting evidence that Boris choose the path that you are suggesting just posts from the Netherlands modern day version of Hans Christian Andersen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

HEALTH AND SCIENCE

I think it 's a good strategy to reach somecollective level of immunity, at least with AZ.  For Pfizer BioNtech, I don't know.

As stated in your second article:

"In Britain, authorities have said that data supported its decision to move to a 12-week dosing schedule for Pfizer’s COVID vaccine. Both Pfizer and partner BioNTech have warned that they had no evidence to prove it.

Pfizer’s vaccine is authorized to be taken 21 days apart.

The U.S. FDA and the European Medicines agency have stuck by the interval tested in the trials."

• Like 1

All countries do what's best for themselves , and then they help others if they can. It is true for the EU, the UK , US etc.

If the EU, does not have enough for themselves, which clearly they don't, why would they want to ship anything to other countries? especially those who disparagingly did not want to be part of them?  I am sure they would use any legal mechanism available to them to get the best deal for it's members. Not to do that would be dereliction of duty. 

and the same would apply to the UK or anyone else.

I don't see the controversy. membership has it's privilege's. . 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Like the “straight answer” to the question according to what contractual terms the EU is at fault here?

Or all the “arguments” you guys are lacking when whine about the EU? 

Come on, don’t ridicule yourself. 

just answer the guy, be a good chap

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Black said:

It seems its all he does when he has no argument, just rushes off on a tangent. Don't expect a straight answer from him.

Like the “straight answer” to the question according to what contractual terms the EU is at fault here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Thats 2 times,

Now I understand, looks like he is a 'bot. '

• Like 2

4 hours ago, candide said:

There are rational motives behind this situation:

- vaccination centres have been priorily used  for people aged  75 year  and +, who have been vaccinated only with the Pfizer jab. Now this capacity is starting to be available for other categories

- AZ is also being distributed by Practitioners and Pharmacies, and it has been a bit long to organise

- due to reduced and somehow uncertain supply, it is necessary to store jabs for the second dose (unlike UK, it's 3 weeks after the first one) for both vaccine brands. From what I understand, UK is starting to be confronted with the same problem as there is a large number of people who will need their second jab.

Yes 

The AZ was untested with 65+ but the Brits injected it nonetheless starting with their 65+

So the blood clot problems were not discovered before the European and the UK started injecting their younger citizens

In the EU, the oldest got the Pfizer, (I'm just back from the 1st jab of my aunt btw, and it was a Pfizer) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, david555 said:

it is still in your PM box ????

Thanks for telling me there, I have no proper pm notifications so I just caught back on several messages. 

And to answer one of them publicly, I'm very much pro-vaccine

So even if now the AZ does not have the green light for 55- in France pending investigation of several issues, I'd have it anyway. 

Of course I'd prefer the German Pfizer or the US modeRNA, but I'm not top of the waiting list (and as of last week 66% of the French public didn't trust the AZ, albeit the prime minister's AZ jab yesterday will help). 

RNA vaccines are new technology, but quite easy to scale up at the manufacturing stage. In June our production output will be 6 times February's. 

20210320_221400.thumb.jpg.7159b8c73e6dc9dd63eb020a088c9fdb.jpg

We have a difficult few weeks ahead of us, but the end of the tunnel is in sight ????

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Yes 

The AZ was untested with 65+ but the Brits injected it nonetheless starting with their 65+

So the blood clot problems were not discovered before the European and the UK started injecting their younger citizens

In the EU, the oldest got the Pfizer, (I'm just back from the 1st jab of my aunt btw, and it was a Pfizer) 

AZ was tested in 3 different age groups 1) 18-55 2) 56-69 3) over 70 so the statement that aZ was untested with 65+ is completely false as shown in this file from the lancet

https://www.thelancet.com/cms/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)32661-1/attachment/75bff1ea-804f-4c66-adc1-2f7d0f9b4550/mmc1.pdf

• Like 1

France resumes AstraZeneca vaccination – but for over-55s only

France's health authority on Friday recommended that only people aged 55 and over should be given the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine due to reports of blood clots, while giving the green light to resume its use after a brief suspension.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210319/france-resumes-astrazeneca-vaccination-but-recommends-it-for-over-55s-only/

France u-turn jab: AZ you were

Perhaps trying to allay fears, the 64-year-old French Ambassador in London Catherine Colonna proudly tweeted a pic of her jab card today captioned 'Done. Safely.' Sharp eyed superjabber Hugo Gye noted the date on Colonna's vaccine card – Tuesday 16 March. This is when its use was suspended in France, but Colonna decided not to publicise the fact until today after the suspension was lifted.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/france-u-turn-jab-az-you-were

3 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Yes 

EMA statement regards the Covid-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca

The Committee’s experts looked in extreme detail at records of DIC and CVST reported from Member States, 9 of which resulted in death. Most of these occurred in people under 55 and the majority were women. Because these events are rare, and COVID-19 itself often causes blood clotting disorders in patients, it is difficult to estimate a background rate for these events in people who have not had the vaccine.

https://haemophilia.ie/ema-statement-regards-the-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca/

UK backs continued use of AstraZeneca vaccine after five cases of rare blood clots

One of the five reported cases was fatal, MHRA Vaccine Safety Lead Philip Bryan said, adding that the cases were all among men aged between 19 and 59.

“A major problem is discerning whether there is a possibility that this was caused by COVID-19,” Evans told Reuters.

“Exactly these sort of conditions have been seen in patients with COVID-19 prior to the vaccines being available.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-mhra/uk-backs-continued-use-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-after-five-cases-of-rare-blood-clots-idUSKBN2BA1UT

So the Blood clots issue is not related to the 65+ testing age group

Edited by vinny41
typo

I do not mean the AstraZeneca was completely untested with 65+, I mean it might have been OK for British standards but as you know Scientists have raised questions about the representative value of AstraZeneca’s trial design.

So in Europe they were doubts. As a whole the testing of AstraZeneca has been riddled with multiple problems: bad testing design, inefficient against the south African variant.. Hence his bad reputation. 

Remember AstraZeneca is an Anglo-Swedish firm? Another proof of this mess: As of today Sweden, Norway, Denmark are still holding the AstraZeneca jabs. 

Now for your other post, I  100% approve our ambassador Catherine Colonna, she is doing a fine job as a diplomat there, well done.

I wish the UK ambassador in Brussels would do such fine diplomatic moves

... wait there is no UK ambassador, only a "head of the UK Mission to the European Union" 

• Like 2

Just now, Hi from France said:

I do not mean the AstraZeneca was completely untested with 65+, I mean it might have been OK for British standards but as you know Scientists have raised questions about the representative value of AstraZeneca’s trial design.

So in Europe they were doubts. As a whole the testing of AstraZeneca has been riddled with multiple problems: bad testing design, inefficient against the south African variant.. Hence his bad reputation. 

Remember AstraZeneca is an Anglo-Swedish firm? Another proof of this mess: As of today Sweden, Norway, Denmark are still holding the AstraZeneca jabs. 

Now for your other post, I  100% approve our ambassador Catherine Colonna, she is doing a fine job as a diplomat there, well done.

... wait there is no UK ambassador, only a "head of the UK Mission to the European Union" 

(PDF repaired and copy pasted, link included now ???? )

13 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

You might to recheck your post on the UK ambassador in Brussels as the current one has been in his post since June 2019

Martin Shearman was appointed Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the Kingdom of Belgium in June 2019.

https://www.gov.uk/government/people/martin-shearman

13 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

aha, contemptuous like Frost I see, "the European Union does not exist".

do not let you contempt and the tabloids make you loose your focus from the Brexit data : as for now the stats are beyond the worst of what you decried as "project fear".

The UK indeed is 1-2 months ahead on the EU with vaccination, but for now the UK the covid-19 hit is still the worst in the world, you have no EU recovery billions to add to your country recovery plan.

Not to mention the impact of brexit is stronger than covid and long term. 

Just a suggestion: Maybe it would be a good idea to swap your scorn and your superiority complex and get into "pragmatic" and "diplomatic" mode and reap the benefits ????

It would seem that Ireland and 13 other European countries will have less money for recovery if France gets its way

Irish share of €5bn EU Brexit fund could be slashed under French plan

This would come at the expense of 14 other countries and would hit Ireland the hardest, removing €200 million from the expected €1 billion that had been due to arrive this year, according to calculations by Belgian MEP Pascal Arimont, the European Parliament’s rapporteur on the Brexit Adjustment Reserve.

The Netherlands, Belgium, and Denmark – among the countries hardest-hit by the UK leaving the bloc – would also suffer along with 10 other member states, Mr Arimont said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/irish-share-of-5bn-eu-brexit-fund-could-be-slashed-under-french-plan-1.4512255

It is just as well that the The Three Musketeers are fictional characters otherwise they would be turning in their graves 

All for one and one for all doesn't seem to apply to modern day France

PS it was you that claimed there was no UK ambassador in  Brussels where we all know there is one and Frosty used to meetings with him when Frosty was in town

Edited by vinny41
  • Like 1

EU export ban would delay UK Covid vaccine drive by two months

Britain’s Covid vaccine programme faces a two-month delay in the event of an EU export ban, derailing the government’s plans to reopen the economy this summer, an analysis for the Guardian reveals.

It would not, however, provide a significant boost to EU member states’ troubled programmes, according to a report by the data analytics company Airfinity.

The comparatively small number of doses that would be kept within the bloc would speed up the full vaccination of every adult in the EU by “just over a week”, the research suggests.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/21/eu-export-ban-would-delay-uk-covid-vaccine-drive-by-two-months

3 hours ago, Hi from France said:

AZ is currently running a large scale trial meeting all statistical requirements in order to make sure it satisfies the FDA, so we will soon have more reliable data.