Facing 'crisis of century', EU threatens ban on COVID vaccine exports to UK

webfact

On 3/18/2021 at 2:36 PM, CG1 Blue said:

You do realise that the EU contract is with a company called Astra Zeneca, not with the UK or UK government? ????‍♂️

Save your breath, brother, you are dealing in the realms of the troll. If it's English, it's bad. Hollywood also uses the same approach. British scientists developed this thing (sorry, had to get it out there) and it is contracted out to various eu plants to deliver to given area. There was never a stipulation for plants within UK to export (uk already paid for Pfizer etc)... the eu are only going down this road because they have royally F'd up! The whole thing is totally blown out of proportion and has gone political. Best of it is the amount of reemoaners (censored, really!) that have changed their tune on the eu. 

Edited by daveAustin
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

just for you I will amended my claim

t would appear its the EU countries that are selfish, they appear to be the only countries in Europe that are currently stockpiling vaccines, how many million of doses are being stored unused in each EU country.

Be sure they become used as soon the numbers stockpiled are enough to do a scheduled roll out....do not forget we E.U. are in need for 27 country's ....to make it perfect .

As others you come to pick up a new variant possible when coming for your o so dear hollidays ...and see the numbers climbing again ....lockdowns need to be continued ....but Boris prefer the economy to be saved before yhe population....hence his speed push for A.Z. forced early approuvel whitout full proper testing period for  older age group .

Politic gain was  high needed for his ego 

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Be sure they become used as soon the numbers stockpiled are enough to do a scheduled roll out....do not forget we E.U. are in need for 27 country's ....to make it perfect .

As others you come to pick up a new variant possible when coming for your o so dear hollidays ...and see the numbers climbing again ....lockdowns need to be continued ....but Boris prefer the economy to be saved before yhe population....hence his speed push for A.Z. forced early approuvel whitout full proper testing period for  older age group .

Politic gain was  high needed for his ego 

You are on a different planet so the EU is doing a partial roll out but at the same time they are also stockpiling

EU member states have received 62.2 million vaccines under the joint procurement scheme run by Brussels and administered 77 per cent of those – about 48 million shots. About 14.8 million AstraZeneca vaccines have been delivered to EU countries, with less than half, 7.3 million, being used.

Stella Kyriakides, the European health commissioner, said on Tuesday that vaccination was "more than ever key" and urged EU member states to use every vaccine they had rather than stockpiling them. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/16/european-commission-hits-eu-governments-hoarding-unused-covid/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, candide said:

Croda in UK is supplying lipids to Pfizer BioNtech. Merck in Germany is also supplying lipids to Pfizer BioNtech. Evonik is also starting operations to supply lipids to BioNtech. So in case UK would prevents Croda from exporting to the EU, there would still be 2 companies to supply lipids to BioNtech. However, I have no idea of how many vaccines could be produced thanks to these 2 suppliers.

Maybe the EU should listen to Pfizer and BioNtech

Pfizer and BioNtech are understood to have warned EU leaders that production at the main vaccine factory in Belgium could "grind to a halt" within weeks if the UK moved to prevent deliveries from crossing the Channel.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/19/pfizer-urges-eu-back-away-vaccine-blockade-threat/

• Like 1

The AstraZeneca vaccine is getting hammered across Europe. European leaders don't want to give it to their citizens, but at the same time they're screaming that the company isn't delivering the doses they said they could. France and Germany are the biggest culprits. Some of these countries are actually sitting on mountains of AstraZeneca doses - France has only used a QUARTER of it's doses.

First they said it was no good for older patients, only those under 65. Now they're insisting that only those aged over 55 should be given the AstraZeneca vaccine. They constantly moan about it's efficacy and change the rules on who should or shouldn't be given it on a weekly basis. With European leaders constantly knocking the vaccine, people will lose confidence in it. This is no good at all, we need as much of the population vaccinated as possible.

Why should AstraZeneca be focused on Europe when they don't want the jab and constantly knock it?

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, vinny41 said:

And where in the Contract between the EU comission and AZ does it state that the EU will have preferential delivery and can override other countries delivery schedules 

You are the one suggesting the EU is in breach of their contract, not me. It’s up to you show proof of that. 

16 hours ago, vinny41 said:

The EU attitude is they wanted AZ to To rob Peter to pay Paul

...and by the way: a contract doesn’t need to “have preferential delivery and can override other countries delivery schedules”. It’s simply enough that a supplier isn’t fulfilling its contractual obligation to deliver what he signed up for for you take action against your contract partner. 

So really, stop the whining as if claiming your rights was something extraordinary. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, cocoonclub said:

You are the one suggesting the EU is in breach of their contract, not me. It’s up to you show proof of that. 

...and by the way: a contract doesn’t need to “have preferential delivery and can override other countries delivery schedules”. It’s simply enough that a supplier isn’t fulfilling its contractual obligation to deliver what he signed up for for you take action against your contract partner. 

So really, stop the whining as if claiming your rights was something extraordinary. 

I am not whining and as we can see from the latest statement from VDL she doesn't have an issue with AZ UK production plants supplying the UK 1st before exporting to other countries

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The more the politicians and the EU leadership keep bashing AstraZeneca, the more that I trust  AstraZeneca.

<snip>

If everything goes according to plan I have a choice of vaccines, and Pfizer would be my choice, not AZ. But if no choice then yes, AZ it is.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

When I am having discussion with a user and ask him a question, then you come to ask me something completely irrelevant, who do you think is trying to divert a topic? 

So before trying to divert the topic can we please answer my question which was to show according to what contractual terms (or laws maybe) the EU is wrong here? The answer to that question should be simple if you have read the contract (and laws maybe) before coming here to start your usual EU whining. 

Yes or no?

5 hours ago, vinny41 said:

You are on a different planet so the EU is doing a partial roll out but at the same time they are also stockpiling

EU member states have received 62.2 million vaccines under the joint procurement scheme run by Brussels and administered 77 per cent of those – about 48 million shots. About 14.8 million AstraZeneca vaccines have been delivered to EU countries, with less than half, 7.3 million, being used.

Stella Kyriakides, the European health commissioner, said on Tuesday that vaccination was "more than ever key" and urged EU member states to use every vaccine they had rather than stockpiling them. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/16/european-commission-hits-eu-governments-hoarding-unused-covid/

(Here you have it  as just mentioned...., VDL sticks with her line  ....) ????

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1412737/eu-news-covid-vaccine-export-ban-uk-boris-johnson-von-der-leyen-merkel-macron-ont

EU starts all-out vaccine war: Merkel and Macron back UK export ban - major supplies alert
BORIS JOHNSON and the EU appear to be heading for an all out vaccine war, as European leaders are on the brink of imposing a punitive export ban on the UK.

By JOHN VARGA
PUBLISHED: 01:33, Sun, Mar 21, 2021 | UPDATED: 07:18, Sun, Mar 21, 2021

Brussels is furious with Astrazeneca, accusing the company of prioritising vaccine deliveries to the UK over those to the EU. European officials claim that the British-Swedish firm has only delivered a third of the 90 million vaccine doses it promised during the first quarter of this year, while fulfilling its UK contracts in full. Now, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has threatened to join forces with Emmanuel Macron and Angela Merkel to block the delivery of 19 million doses of the Astrazeneca vaccine to the UK.

During an interview with Germany's Funke newspaper group, Ms von der Leyen issued a blunt warning to Astrazeneca and the UK Government.She said: “We have the option of banning a planned export.

"That's the message to AstraZeneca: you fulfil your contract with Europe first before you start supplying to other countries.”

more...

Edited by david555

27 minutes ago, david555 said:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1412737/eu-news-covid-vaccine-export-ban-uk-boris-johnson-von-der-leyen-merkel-macron-ont

EU starts all-out vaccine war: Merkel and Macron back UK export ban - major supplies alert
BORIS JOHNSON and the EU appear to be heading for an all out vaccine war, as European leaders are on the brink of imposing a punitive export ban on the UK.

By JOHN VARGA

Brussels is furious with Astrazeneca, accusing the company of prioritising vaccine deliveries to the UK over those to the EU. European officials claim that the British-Swedish firm has only delivered a third of the 90 million vaccine doses it promised during the first quarter of this year, while fulfilling its UK contracts in full. Now, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has threatened to join forces with Emmanuel Macron and Angela Merkel to block the delivery of 19 million doses of the Astrazeneca vaccine to the UK.

During an interview with Germany's Funke newspaper group, Ms von der Leyen issued a blunt warning to Astrazeneca and the UK Government.She said: “We have the option of banning a planned export.

"That's the message to AstraZeneca: you fulfil your contract with Europe first before you start supplying to other countries.”

more...

EU first or we blockade the AstraZeneca vaccine, says Ursula von der Leyen

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-first-or-we-blockade-the-vaccine-says-von-der-leyen-lh05xxwpt

Does this  mean she doesn't have an issue with AstraZeneca UK production plants supplying the UK first before exporting to any other countries

As stated she doesn't want AstraZeneca UK production sites to ship vaccine to the EU

23 minutes ago, david555 said:

Careful with tabloids it's just a collage of pictures and quotes, not real information. 

It's just the best way for selling paper. 

Wether its the reality of the economic consequences of Brexit or the idea that the UK being out of the EU changed something to vaccine procurement..

tabloids are masquerading the situation 

The Sun, Daily Mail, Daily Express and Daily Telegraph barely cover the EU trade fiascos, says Dr Andrew Jones, part of an Exeter University team monitoring Brexit media stories since the referendum. Currently, Jones says, those papers’ main Brexit story is Britain’s triumph over the EU on vaccines. That trope always omits the fact the UK could have purchased the same volume while in the EU, but it has become the Brexiters’ clinching case.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/16/brexit-deal-bad-evidence-trade

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

EU first or we blockade the AstraZeneca vaccine, says Ursula von der Leyen

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-first-or-we-blockade-the-vaccine-says-von-der-leyen-lh05xxwpt

Does this  mean she doesn't have an issue with AstraZeneca UK production plants supplying the UK first before exporting to any other countries

As stated she doesn't want AstraZeneca UK production sites to ship vaccine to the EU

i just bring you the news ,..... not going further in on your questions or topic , just face it what goes happen .......????

Edited by david555

1 minute ago, Hi from France said:

Careful with tabloids it's just a collage of pictures and quotes, not real information. 

It's just the best way for selling paper. 

Wether its the reality of the economic consequences of Brexit or the idea that the UK being out of the EU changed something to vaccine procurement..

tabloids are masquerading the situation 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/16/brexit-deal-bad-evidence-trade

i know you don't like them ???? , but they just bring what they catch up , whiteout asking first politic  leader from their color for approval , as the 2 other newspapers ( both from different politics )  do , many times they bring same news whit a day delay ....

13 minutes ago, david555 said:

i know you don't like them ???? , but they just bring what they catch up

I know you know I know...

still just try to read reputable source first. The guardian is incredibly good and free (though it dedicates less paper to the Sussexes :)

For example we complain about the AZ vaccine being inferior to the German/Pfizer vaccine, but we forget some Chinese vaccines is probably ... much worst

145062-1616279683-3707.png

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/20/chinas-first-local-covid-case-since-february-had-been-vaccinated-state-media

1 hour ago, david555 said:

By JOHN VARGA

more...

I think that quote from VDL is from Wednesday or so. With the situation developing quite fast, I don't think we should put much value on it now.

16 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

I know you know I know...

still just try to read reputable source first. The guardian is incredibly good and free (though it dedicates less paper to the Sussexes ????

For example we complain about the AZ vaccine being inferior to the German/Pfizer vaccine, but we forget some Chinese vaccines is probably ... much worst

145062-1616279683-3707.png

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/20/chinas-first-local-covid-case-since-february-had-been-vaccinated-state-media

i read the guardian too..., i do not discriminate on news,  even The  telegraph  and use their articles as i can bypass the paywall , as i have send you a pm a week ago a full financial article about trillions of money could be  transferred  to Amsterdam if no solution  for the city from the E.U. , it is still in your PM box ????

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I think that quote from VDL is from Wednesday or so. With the situation developing quite fast, I don't think we should put much value on it now.

seems she repeated it already ....

6 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

European leaders don't want to give it to their citizens, but at the same time they're screaming that the company isn't delivering the doses they said they could. France and Germany are the biggest culprits. Some of these countries are actually sitting on mountains of AstraZeneca doses - France has only used a QUARTER of it's doses.

There are rational motives behind this situation:

- vaccination centres have been priorily used  for people aged  75 year  and +, who have been vaccinated only with the Pfizer jab. Now this capacity is starting to be available for other categories

- AZ is also being distributed by Practitioners and Pharmacies, and it has been a bit long to organise

- due to reduced and somehow uncertain supply, it is necessary to store jabs for the second dose (unlike UK, it's 3 weeks after the first one) for both vaccine brands. From what I understand, UK is starting to be confronted with the same problem as there is a large number of people who will need their second jab.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, candide said:

There are rational motives behind this situation:

- vaccination centres have been priorily used  for people aged  75 year  and +, who have been vaccinated only with the Pfizer jab. Now this capacity is starting to be available for other categories

- AZ is also being distributed by Practitioners and Pharmacies, and it has been a bit long to organise

- due to reduced and somehow uncertain supply, it is necessary to store jabs for the second dose (unlike UK, it's 3 weeks after the first one) for both vaccine brands. From what I understand, UK is starting to be confronted with the same problem as there is a large number of people who will need their second jab.

Exactly .....a different dosage application timeframe ....,

Boris spread the interval time to give more people a jab ...., so he could show  politic way another magic achievement as his Christmas deal  , and now this longer in-between period risk to become too long as already stretchered  out far longer than the normally prescribed/advised timeframe .

As now risk of supply could be looming 

Edited by david555