Chances of getting a jab in the US?

Does anyone know what the chances would be of getting a jab in the States (as a non-US citizen) after they have been through their own population, so maybe around June / July? I have no idea who to contact about this - would it just be any hospital over there?

I am a UK passport holder but not keen on going back to the UK as I would have to wait 3 months between shots and might be prevented from leaving again.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Are you in Thailand?

If waiting until June or July is OK for you, I think there is an excellent chance you'll be able to pay for a vaccine at a private hospital here (with a wide choice of vaccines).

As far as the U.S., it depends on the state, their state policies, and their supply and demand situation. I recently heard of a state there that is open to all that want it. I think in general even undocumented migrants are eligible for vaccines in the U.S., but the idea of vaccine tourism isn't really on the public radar.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Are you in Thailand?

If waiting until June or July is OK for you, I think there is an excellent chance you'll be able to pay for a vaccine at a private hospital here (with a wide choice of vaccines).

Yeah, I'm in Thailand and can stay as long as they keep granting covid extensions. My guess is that will be until June/July at least, but I wasn't really expecting vaccinations to be available here for a while after that, mainly because Europe is so far behind and has so much already on order. Flying to the US is sort of a plan B that I'd like to have ready in case they suddenly stop the covid extensions, although I do have other reasons for going once the situation has died down over there. I assumed you'd need some sort of invite that would require you to be registered somewhere. Otherwise I don't see how they can roll it out by age.

2 minutes ago, Badger18 said:

Yeah, I'm in Thailand and can stay as long as they keep granting covid extensions. My guess is that will be until June/July at least, but I wasn't really expecting vaccinations to be available here for a while after that, mainly because Europe is so far behind and has so much already on order. Flying to the US is sort of a plan B that I'd like to have ready in case they suddenly stop the covid extensions, although I do have other reasons for going once the situation has died down over there. I assumed you'd need some sort of invite that would require you to be registered somewhere. Otherwise I don't see how they can roll it out by age.

By June or July in the U.S. it will likely be open to all in most of the nation and they will be begging people to come in to take it. As far as the timeline here for the private hospital you pay track, we don't know yet, but if you're willing to take Sinovac or Sputnik, the European supply is irrelevant. But even in an open to all situation in the U.S., I wouldn't necessarily expect them to have a policy about international tourists. Migrants are living there. So the bottom line is at this point I think it would be hard to know for sure about your chances there in June or July. If you're serious I would wait until it's open to all there, and then try to contact some people.

• Like 2

First of all it will depend on which state you are in. All states Have different requirements.  I read, in Colorado they don't require proof of residency But I   think by June/ July they wont be able to give it away. It is estimated that  by the end of may. everyone who wants to be vaccinated , will be. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Seems to be ample vaccines available here in the States.  Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J.  I see signs all over the place with availabilities.

It depends on the locality. Like many places like L.A. are still very hard to get it.

J and J is an interesting choice because it's only one shot. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

First of all it will depend on which state you are in. All states Have different requirements.  I read, in Colorado they don't require proof of residency But I   think by June/ July they wont be able to give it away. It is estimated that  by the end of may. everyone who wants to be vaccinated , will be. 

Yeah I think so too but I still think they won't be expecting international tourists. It might be better to claim you're an undocumented migrant (half joking). 

BTW, I have no idea about the current policies in the U.S. on incoming international tourists, quarantines, etc.

Edited by Jingthing
15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It depends on the locality. Like many places like L.A. are still very hard to get it.

J and J is an interesting choice because it's only one shot. 

Up here in the Northwest at least there are plenty.  Most everyone I know is already vaccinated regardless of age.  All my coworkers are vaccinated.  Everyone has taken either Pfizer, Moderna, or the J&J vaccine.  No one has had any side effects that I know of other than some minor body aches with the Moderna.  

I would expect the US vaccination drive will be close to finishing by June.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah I think so too but I still think they won't be expecting international tourists. It might be better to claim you're an undocumented migrant (half joking). 

BTW, I have no idea about the current policies in the U.S. on incoming international tourists, quarantines, etc.

Yea , I don't know what the incoming restrictions are in the US also, but that's a good point, the Op should look into also.

LOL about the undocumented migrant joke. Told the wife that she should go to the border and pretend to not speak English. She said " I want to go to Thailand , I don't want to go to jail"  LOL. 

1 hour ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Seems to be ample vaccines available here in the States.  Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J.  I see signs all over the place with availabilities.

Not sure what state your in but you must meet the approved category for a vaccine and every state has no surplus of vaccines available. It been a problem provding enough to meet the need. Things will change in the future but now I doubt there is surplus anywhere 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dan O said:

Not sure what state your in but you must meet the approved category for a vaccine and every state has no surplus of vaccines available. It been a problem provding enough to meet the need. Things will change in the future but now I doubt there is surplus anywhere 

Maybe or maybe not. 

Both my American Daughter and Thai son live in Denver, 32 and 25. They both got a call to go get a shot in Colorado Spring yesterday, since it appears idiots in that city didn't want the vaccine!

Hour and a half drive seemed well worth it for the two of them to get it so early.

I'll be a very happy Father when my other daughter in San Diego can get it

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

As far as the timeline here for the private hospital you pay track, we don't know yet, but if you're willing to take Sinovac or Sputnik, the European supply is irrelevant.

Surely the AstraZeneca option will be available also by then since the Thai's will be making it? The published Thai roadmap shows this also.

https://www.thailand-business-news.com/health/83393-astrazeneca-approves-thailands-vaccine-factory.html

• Haha 2

Availability is less of an issue these days.

Most places have at least a basic residency requirement. A U.K. Passport probably won't cut it.

Maybe in a few months that requirement may be lifted?

In my home state vaccinations are widely available, and as of 19 April will be open for everyone. The ID requirements re:

1.) Government-issued ID (so a passport wourld be acceptable, but no citizenship test)

2.) Attestation, signed, indicating that you live, work or study in the state.

Then you have to factor in the two-shot schedule, which might require a 2 - 4 week stay.

Unless you have some issue I'd just wait to get a vaccination here, for a fee, at a provate hospital towards Oct-Dec.

53 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

1.) Government-issued ID (so a passport wourld be acceptable, but no citizenship test)

Just for clarification, this is a U.S. or State government issued ID, which includes a U.S. passport.

"No citizenship test" means that there is no test to see of you are a citizen or valid Green Card holder. It is possible to get a government issued ID without being a citizen. Vacinating everyone is a goal, but I imagine some locales will invoke their own rules, re: non-citizens.

These are only for one State, every state has different rules so check first.

Note that as of October 1, 2021 U.S. citizens will need a RealID-compliant ID to travel by air domestically. A U.S. passport is RealID-compliant. All others should probably sort this out for themselves - no clue how they are impacted or if a foreign passport is acceptable.

• Confused 1

I suppose you are expecting it for free?

I think it is totally unethical due to the incompetence of your home country to fly to another country and take a jab out of the arm of a person who actually lives there.

Edited by bkk6060
3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

take a jab out of the arm of a person who actually lives there.

Does this position apply after everyone in the U.S. (who wants one) has had a shot, and there is a huge stockpile?

And what about me? I am a U.S. citizen but I do not "actually live there"? Would it be "ethical" for me to slide in and get a vaccination? I would have no issue paying full price for my vaccination.

I am not down with jumping the queue, but the virus is a global phenomenon, so the more people who are vaccinated the better, right?

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So the bottom line is at this point I think it would be hard to know for sure about your chances there in June or July.

Thanks, pretty much what I thought really but good to get confirmation.  It's hard to plan anything just at the moment so I'll just have to hope they keep on with the covid extensions.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Unless you have some issue I'd just wait to get a vaccination here, for a fee, at a provate hospital towards Oct-Dec.

Yeah, plan A is to get it here but I'm not sure I'll be able to stay that long. My best guess is that the Western vaccines will come onstream around Aug/Sep but it may well be a drip feed for a few months. The covid extensions have to stop at some point. There may be a window but I think it's going to be tight. Just have to keep an eye on what's happening the US.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I suppose you are expecting it for free?

I think it is totally unethical due to the incompetence of your home country to fly to another country and take a jab out of the arm of a person who actually lives there.

Nah.

He's talking about going later when most likely the supply will be much greater than the demand and health authorities will be trying very hard to persuade vaccine hesitancy types to get it. 

• Like 1

Read an article on Yahoo News last night that listed the states that are open to all age groups..Forget the exact number as I slept after reading..At least 13 though. Not quoting but I believe May 1 is target date for all age groups nation wide..

In many places, one can be vaccinated in a big US pharmacy!

My worry is returning home, here.

We can hope for vaccines in private supply in June or July but there are plenty of middle-class Thais who will be first in line. My bet is that demand will outstrip supply for quite a while.

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Does this position apply after everyone in the U.S. (who wants one) has had a shot, and there is a huge stockpile?

And what about me? I am a U.S. citizen but I do not "actually live there"? Would it be "ethical" for me to slide in and get a vaccination? I would have no issue paying full price for my vaccination.

I am not down with jumping the queue, but the virus is a global phenomenon, so the more people who are vaccinated the better, right?

Now Moderna trials are checking on vaccinating children as young as 6 months, so some of the the vaccine supply may be taken up by children after May. On the other hand, the capacity to produce vaccine is growing a lot, and further vaccines are coming on stream, so there should be more available to share with foreigners.

12 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

In many places, one can be vaccinated in a big US pharmacy!

My worry is returning home, here.

We can hope for vaccines in private supply in June or July but there are plenty of middle-class Thais who will be first in line. My bet is that demand will outstrip supply for quite a while.

Impossible to predict right now, but probably, with some cash, you can get to the front of the line.  Just a guess.  We should know more in about a month....or so...LOL

Guest Harm Hendrik Reitsma
On 3/21/2021 at 10:06 PM, Badger18 said:

I think you can not easily fly to the US in the first place, think about your situation, are you in real hazard from covid-19 around your place of stay, what risk do you have? Is it worth to go abroad or even to take a jab? There is no real danger if not in crowded places. So maybe rethink your situation. 

Be save.

20 hours ago, Badger18 said:

so I'll just have to hope they keep on with the covid extensions.

I don't see these going away anytime soon. Certainly not before the end of the year, and they would announce such a thing at least 60 days in advance.

19 minutes ago, Harm Hendrik Reitsma said:

I think you can not easily fly to the US in the first place

Not sure what you mean here? Very easy to fly to the U.S. 

Personally I am considering it - not so much for the vaccine, but to see family and friends. The biggest issues are: scheduling a second shot, and returning to Thailand.

As far as I can tell, in my state, the second shot appointment is 21 days for Pfizer and 28 days for Moderna. Coordinating the second shot and the return to Thailand could be challenging.

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I don't see these going away anytime soon. Certainly not before the end of the year, and they would announce such a thing at least 60 days in advance.

Not sure what you mean here? Very easy to fly to the U.S. 

Personally I am considering it - not so much for the vaccine, but to see family and friends. The biggest issues are: scheduling a second shot, and returning to Thailand.

As far as I can tell, in my state, the second shot appointment is 21 days for Pfizer and 28 days for Moderna. Coordinating the second shot and the return to Thailand could be challenging.

Seems to be a third wave brewing.  Several new variants are at play.  And the population is letting their guard down.

Not sure I'd want to be in the US over the next few months??????  My friends there say they buy their groceries online and have them put into their trunk when they get there.  Banks are mainly drive up now.  Bars and restaurants open and close.  Seems scary???