Chances of getting a jab in the US?

25 minutes ago, Bob4u said:

CVS and other large chains are now offering walking COVID shots.

Wake up Thailand 

The US totally blew their initial CV19 response.  But!  Are doing great with the vaccines.  Let's hope these jabs work with the new variants.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

You simply don't know the difference between a verb and a noun.

From your source: "British, informal : an injection of something (such as medicine) into your body with a needle."

Per forum rules:

3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

59 minutes ago, lumpinipark said:

You don't have to wait until June. Covid vaccines are widely available right now in the USA and nobody gives a flying <deleted> about whether or not you are a tourist or living there illegally. 

Yeah, seems things changed recently.  I tried last week and was denied.  This week, I can get a shot tomorrow!

So both me and Mrs G had both shots over a month ago at a State central vaccination center.

But now it's opened up to anyone over the age of 16, and as we went shopping yesterday in Safeway they now say they are open to walk in vaccinations.

This is such a fluid situation it's hard to know what the rules, or availability are from State to State

2 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Don't they ask for ID?

Yes they ask for ID as they must record who it is given to and prepare a card for each person. They also schedule you for the second shot at that time.

You should be able to use your passport or DL.

23 minutes ago, Gracas said:

Yes they ask for ID as they must record who it is given to and prepare a card for each person. They also schedule you for the second shot at that time.

You should be able to use your passport or DL.

Pretty sure any ID will do.

I used my DL, Mrs G used her military ID since she works on the local AFB and had it done there

But we both got the same CDC vaccination card.

For the second shot all we needed to show was the CDC card

Edited by GinBoy2

I got a shot in Virginia in Phase 1, as I'm 67 and at risk. I get my second shot of Pfizer today.

Virginia will move to Phase 2 on April 18. Everyone, 16 and older, who lives or works in Virginia will be eligible to get the COVID-19 vaccine at that time. Some communities will make the transition into Phase 2 sooner and will begin inviting members of the general public from the pre-registration list to appointments beginning April 4.

This page has links to the state web sites with eligibility requirements:  https://www.walgreens.com/images/adaptive/findcare/covid19/Vaccine_State_Specific_Eligibility_Criteria.pdf

Saw this in a news blurb:  Florida, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, and Arizona have all vaccinated non-residents.  And this:  Proof of Virginia residency is not required to receive a COVID vaccine from VA Dept. of Health.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, taxout said:

On January 21 Florida started imposing a residency requirement. So far as I can tell they haven't eliminated it yet.

Still in place AFAIK, except there is an allowance for snowbirds, 31 consecutive days in FL, with various forms of proof allowed. 

• Like 1

Walmart plans to make its vaccination records linkable with the Commonpass digital vaccination passport.

Now you may or may not be comfortable with Commonpass or with Walmart holding your medical records, but digital vaccination passports likely are the future, especially for those who travel. Even if not formally required they'll probably make border crossings a lot easier than waving a flimsy CDC card.

So if you do head back to the states at least bear in mind whether your vaccination record will linkable.

So this may well be State to State dependent.

But even though the shot itself is free you may well  be asked for insurance information.

This is a script that the providers ask, but as part of the CARES act it's not required to get the shot.

So just be prepared for that question and push back

On 4/7/2021 at 2:45 AM, taxout said:

On January 21 Florida started imposing a residency requirement. So far as I can tell they haven't eliminated it yet.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/local/state/2021/01/21/rivkees-issues-residency-requirement-covid-vaccine/6663139002/

Unfortunately I don't have the link but I recently read in the Washington Post that even in states without residency requirements, in practice actual vaccination sites such as pharmacies were rejecting people without state driver's licenses. I assume many expats no longer have a valid state driver's license. Using a U.S. passport wasn't mentioned.

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Unfortunately I don't have the link but I recently read in the Washington Post that even in states without residency requirements, in practice actual vaccination sites such as pharmacies were rejecting people without state driver's licenses. I assume many expats no longer have a valid state driver's license. Using a U.S. passport wasn't mentioned.

This is gonna be another of those State dependent things.

My wife got hers though the military, and she didn't have to show her military ID, I'm assuming because she was already on the base.

I got mine through the local vaccination center. I'd already registered online, so just gave them the Q code nobody asked me for my DL or anything!

Edited by GinBoy2

Chance of getting the J&J vaccine approach zero, for now.

FDA calls for pause of Johnson & Johnson vaccine

CNBC’s Meg Tirrell reports on the FDA’s call to pause distribution of the Johnson & Johnson covid vaccine after six women suffered rare blood clots.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/04/13/fda-calls-for-pause-of-johnson-johnson-vaccine-blood-clot.html

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I recently read in the Washington Post that even in states without residency requirements, in practice actual vaccination sites such as pharmacies were rejecting people without state driver's licenses.

Any ID requirements are listed on the state's vaccine pages. In the caes where I looked, ~ 3, it was quite clear. A DL was one option, but not the only one. In one state you need to sign an afadavit stating that you live, work or go to school in that state, in addition to having something with you name on it (basically).

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So this may well be State to State dependent.

But even though the shot itself is free you may well  be asked for insurance information.

This is a script that the providers ask, but as part of the CARES act it's not required to get the shot.

So just be prepared for that question and push back

California it is free , on the paperwork it asks if you have insurance , if not thats OK and it goes to the next page .......

but that can change at anytime....

The rule is the same across the States: no charge to the patient but if the patient has insurance, including Medicare, the patient is supposed to provide the insurance number so the insuror can be charged; otherwise the Feds pay. (The charge is for administering the injection not for the vaccine itself, which the Feds always pay for.)

• Like 2
On 3/22/2021 at 3:48 AM, bkk6060 said:

I suppose you are expecting it for free?

I think it is totally unethical due to the incompetence of your home country to fly to another country and take a jab out of the arm of a person who actually lives there.

Ignorant statement. His "incompetent" country is actually ahead of the US, having already given at least one shot to half the population.

Also worth noting that the roughly two hundred thousand US citizens living in the UK receive entirely free healthcare, not just free vaccinations.

Anyone flying into the US will have contributed more, in airport taxes alone, than the $100 combined cost of the two shots (both the vaccine cost and the cost of administering them). Add in all the other expenses involved in a trip to the US, including hotels and other services that support jobs, and any visitor will have more than paid his way.

As for taking "a jab out of the arm of a person who actually lives there", by June/July every American who wants to vaccinated will be. By that stage the government will be campaigning intensely to persuade the hesitant. The fact that people are flying in to get vaccinated will actually be a concrete example that getting vaccinated is desirable. That may persuade some Americans, perhaps people he meets during his stay, to go ahead and get it themselves.

You are seeing a problem where, in reality, there is none.

Edited by Poet
  • Sad 1