Chances of getting a jab in the US?

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

So as an update to this thread, here are the States not requiring residency.

This sort of story is OK for an overview, but still better to check with the State's website. By this I mean, I wouldn't make travel plans based solely on this NBC map. 

And I'm not certain if "residency" applies to a particular state, or the U.S.?

As of yesterday all adults are eligible for vaccines regardles of age. How this gets implemented might vary by state.

The Johnson & Jonhson vaccine may get re-authorized soon, maybe by Friday as Dr. Fauci speculated yesterday.

The U.S. State Department is said to be about to redefine 80% of the countries as Level 4 Do Not Travel - this applies to U.S. citizens traveling from the U.S. of course, and may just be a recommendation. No clue where Thailand might fit on that list, or if it will impact citizens returning?

EzXHpUwVkAU6FVu.jpg

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

New York and Connecticut both still requiring proof of residency in the state.

Seems to be opening up very quickly.  Museums are now offering jabs.  If you get one there, you can get free passes to come back later!  Great marketing strategy for the anti-vaxx'ers.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/21/989400620/nycs-latest-vaccination-site-american-museum-of-natural-history

7 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Seems to be opening up very quickly.  Museums are now offering jabs.  If you get one there, you can get free passes to come back later!  Great marketing strategy for the anti-vaxx'ers.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/21/989400620/nycs-latest-vaccination-site-american-museum-of-natural-history

Still requires proof of state residency. (and the Museaum thing sounds like a one-off event).

In fact some sites (i.e. the city hospitals and affiliated clinic) require nto only proof of sate but proof of city residency.

Also all sites still require advanced appointment that must be made online and you have to first wade through "eligibility screening". That said, there is vastly more availability than was the case earlier in the year.

I will be in NYC but the only ID I have with a US address is a Connecticut drivers license. I plan to try to talk my way into a vaccine in NYC first (make appointment then just show up with only passport as ID) and if that fails make a special rip to Ct just for it...busy scanning Ct vaccination sites for one within walking distance of a train station.

• Like 1

Just now, Sheryl said:

Still requires proof of state residency.

In at least some states it's now possible to find sites that are open to all and don't ask for proof of residence or ID. What I don't know is whether they give you any form of certificate. It seems a bit difficult if they haven't seen any ID. With a certificate I'd be able to avoid quarantine in Europe, so it makes quite a big difference. Does anyone have any info on this?

6 minutes ago, Badger18 said:

In at least some states it's now possible to find sites that are open to all and don't ask for proof of residence or ID. What I don't know is whether they give you any form of certificate. It seems a bit difficult if they haven't seen any ID. With a certificate I'd be able to avoid quarantine in Europe, so it makes quite a big difference. Does anyone have any info on this?

Everywhere will give a certificate. And I think they will all require ID but in some states there is no residency requirement (so passport ID would be fine). However this is a minority of states and none of them where I will be.  Map is shown here https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/map-these-states-are-opening-vaccinations-people-out-state-n1264523

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, how241 said:

I can't imagine anyone wanting a jab so bad that they would fly from Thailand to the USA.  Even if the tickets were free, traveling on 2-3 planes and passing thru several airports might carry it's own covid-19 risks. 

We're serious considering going back to the US for a jab. But as you point out. There are risks. Not to mention the costs!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

We're serious considering going back to the US for a jab. But as you point out. There are risks. Not to mention the costs!

I was also considering it but 24 hours of traveling, or more, just keeps putting me off.  I used to travel back to visit the US  regularly but my last visit was in 2014.  Even without the virus considerations, the physical toll is just too high. I can't see anyone doing this journey Unless you also had business or family to take care of. 

• Thanks 1

They don't hand you a certificate! Just that cheesy-looking CDC appointment card.

However in some states you may be able to download a copy of your official record from the state's immunization registry.

And Walmart and probably others will let you link your shot record with digital "passports" like Commonpass.

So carefully research this when picking a vaccination site.

It's an enormous hassle and expense to get the vaccine in the U.S. But particularly if you're over 60, do you have much of a choice?

8 minutes ago, taxout said:

They don't hand you a certificate! Just that cheesy-looking CDC appointment card.

Yeah I found that online. Not sure whether the EU would accept it as proof of vaccination for their "green pass" system. That'll just be a try it and see.

It's not easy to weigh up whether it's worth the cost / hassle / risk of travelling. If you picked up the virus on the flight that would be a pretty clear fail, and you can't rule it out. You also don't know how things will develop here or when your vaccine of choice will be available locally, so it's guesswork really.

26 minutes ago, taxout said:

after a year of fretting about Covid I myself have had it

Funnily enough the only time I really fret about it is on a plane. Don't know if you've flown much during the pandemic but in my experience compliance levels are pretty low, especially around masks.

By the way, if you're on Medicare, it seems they'll see a Baltimore address for you when they do the paperwork for your shot. I'm guessing that particular computer system doesn't handle foreign addresses, so Medicare gives everyone overseas the SSA home office address.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, how241 said:

I can't imagine anyone wanting a jab so bad that they would fly from Thailand to the USA.  Even if the tickets were free, traveling on 2-3 planes and passing thru several airports might carry it's own covid-19 risks. 

Plus you have to factor in the 3 - 4 weeks (assuming you can't get the J&J) for two doses, then another two weeks before you can return to Thailand (for less than 14 days quarantine), then all the paperwork/insurance. Probably 8+ weeks all in.

• Like 2

Everything I have read online says that California does not check residency or immigration status to get a COVID vaccine.  But I just checked the San Diego County vaccine portal, and it states that you have to show proof that you either live or work in the county.

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs/community_epidemiology/dc/2019-nCoV/vaccines/COVID-19-VaxEvents.html

I don't want to fly my wife and I all the way over there just to be turned away.   And then have to do two weeks quarantine in Bangkok when we get back to Thailand.

☹️

The Governor of Alaska announced a week ago that any person arriving in the state will given a free vaccination. The first jab will be given at the airport upon arrival. The only condition is that you have to stay in state for 2 weeks.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

I don't want to fly my wife and I all the way over there just to be turned away.   And then have to do two weeks quarantine in Bangkok when we get back to Thailand.

Obviously you won't be turned away.

Your wife has what sort of travel documents - I confess to knowing nothing about these.

Maybe that document (visa? green card?) will suffice in some locations?

You'll have to do some research on your own.

I'll admit to being a bit conflicted about allowing foreigners, not already in the country legally or illegally, jetting into the U.S. for a free vaccine. Maybe spouses/family of U.S. citizens should be allowed? Maybe if they pay for it?

18 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Everything I have read online says that California does not check residency or immigration status to get a COVID vaccine.  But I just checked the San Diego County vaccine portal, and it states that you have to show proof that you either live or work in the county.

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs/community_epidemiology/dc/2019-nCoV/vaccines/COVID-19-VaxEvents.html

☹️

I live in San Diego and received my shots (Moderna) at a pharmacy near my home. They did not ask for confirmation of my residency. Maybe the San Diego County sites, publicly funded, require proof of residency, but the private/pharmacy sites do not? Check with CVS, Ralphs, or Vons websites, all with pharmacies in San Diego as to whether they are giving shots without proof or residency.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, californiabeachboy said:

I live in San Diego and received my shots (Moderna) at a pharmacy near my home. They did not ask for confirmation of my residency.

Just had a conversation with my wife.

If by July 1st there isn't a clear and definite path to each of us getting a vaccine in Thailand (either govt. or pay), we're getting on a plane and flying to Los Angeles.  We're then going to rent a car and stop at every CVS, Vons and Walgreens all the way to San Diego until one gives us vaccines.

Edited by up-country_sinclair

Just to confirm that if you're vaccinated in Nevada you will be able to download the "Official Record" of your vaccination from the state's WebIz platform.

You need your name and mobile number as the vaccinator entered it into the system, so make sure everything is correct.

Doesn't include middle name, though, which could be an issue. And it says "PFR" for Pfizer.

• Like 1

CVS announces walk-in coronavirus vaccinations at pharmacies across US

CVS Health announced on Wednesday that its pharmacy locations across the U.S. will begin accepting walk-in COVID-19 appointments.

Additionally, CVS pharmacies will now allow same-day scheduling, including appointments that are made as soon as one hour in advance.

“We continue to orchestrate an all-out effort to vaccinate the nation against COVID-19,” CVS Health President and CEO Karen S. Lynch said in a statement to The Hill.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/551982-cvs-announces-walk-in-covid-19-vaccinations-at-pharmacies-across-us

• 4 weeks later...

Tweet from Ron Klain WHCoS

1. Text your Zip code to 438829 to get a location
2. The shot is free & no appointment is needed
3. 24-hours vax on Friday nights in June
4. Free Uber/Lyft rides to/from vax
5. Free child care while getting the shot