Getting Non-Immigrant O Visa

Hi
Because of COVID-19 situation I had to return to UK on the 23rd of March 2020 and my then Non-Immigrant O retirement Visa expired on the 2nd of January 2021.
I now need to obtain a new Non-Immigrant O Visa assuming it may be possible for me to return to Thailand in October or November 2021.
I have looked through the embassy website but I’m not sure which visa is appropriate.
I’m not married to a Thai,have noThai children,have a Thai Bank account with more than 800,000 baht balance and appropriate travel & health insurance. 
It’s been many years since I did this so would appreciate it if anyone could advise me which basic Visa I need to obtain from London Thai embassy to enable me to convert it to a Non-immigrant O Visa when I am able to return to Thailand.
I look forward to advice from anyone who has done this in the last year or so

Thanks in advance 

You have all the options covered. 

You can obtain no O (retirement) in UK.

You could even enter Thailand visa exempt and obtain non O at immigration in Thailand. Especially as you already have the 800k in Thai bank.

You could also obtain non O (marriage). Less and much easier financials but more paperwork etc.

You have full options.

Personally I would enter visa exempt and obtain non o retirement then obtain 12 month extension. How long do you wish to stay in Thailand.

OP your font size needs to be reduced.

Edited by DrJack54

You could apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon retirement at the London embassy. At this time you would need the 40k/400k health insurance to get a certificate of entry.

You could also enter visa exempt and then apply for 90 day non-o visa entry at immigration. And then apply for a one year extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry. 

A visa exempt entry only requires the $100,000 covid 19 insurance valid for 45 days.

There is good chance the requirements will be different in October or November.

You can get a single entry non-O from London based on retirement.  requirements from the website are;

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

You could also enter on a single entry tourist visa or a visa exempt entry and convert to a non-O based upon applying for an extension of stay (retirement) at immigration in Thailand.

I'll have a first hand answer for you in a couple of months. Returning from the US in 2 weeks.

Retirement extension expired Jan 3 and I have 800K+ in the bank for more than 2 years. Also will have new 1 year lease but still at same address.

I'll come in visa exempt which is 45 days now. As soon as I get out of quarantine I'll get the 90 day non-O, then 60 days later get my annual extension at CW. Did this about 4 or 5 years ago and it wasn't that bad and hopefully won't be any worse this time.

1 hour ago, JerseytoBKK said:

I'll have a first hand answer for you in a couple of months. Returning from the US in 2 weeks.

Retirement extension expired Jan 3 and I have 800K+ in the bank for more than 2 years. Also will have new 1 year lease but still at same address.

I'll come in visa exempt which is 45 days now. As soon as I get out of quarantine I'll get the 90 day non-O, then 60 days later get my annual extension at CW. Did this about 4 or 5 years ago and it wasn't that bad and hopefully won't be any worse this time.

In general, your plans are fine. However, one little warning: the rules state that, for the conversion from tourist entry to Non Immigrant visa, you must have proof that the money in the bank came from abroad. If you do not still have the transaction certificate confirming the overseas transfer a couple of years ago, your application can be refused. Many senior officials will accept proof that the money has been in the account for some time in place of the proof the money came from abroad, but be aware that this could be an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

In general, your plans are fine. However, one little warning: the rules state that, for the conversion from tourist entry to Non Immigrant visa, you must have proof that the money in the bank came from abroad. If you do not still have the transaction certificate confirming the overseas transfer a couple of years ago, your application can be refused. Many senior officials will accept proof that the money has been in the account for some time in place of the proof the money came from abroad, but be aware that this could be an issue.

I originally brought the money over and deposited into a foreign currency account and still have all the paperwork, but It's good that you made others aware of that important point.

• Like 1