Would you ever seriously think about moving to Cambodia or Laos?

WineOh

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

The actual answer from this expat is yes. I am not moving back to the USA as this road here in SE Asia is more fun.

Much more fun than the UK. I need to go back for 3 months in a months time. Really dreading it.

• Like 2

I like Cambodia but medical care is big problem. You will have to go all the way to PP for a good hospital or Thailand. Roads are bad.  I went to hospital last time near Kampot. I was an international teaching hospital. It was terrible. The doctors were 20 years old and pretended to understand English.  I meet a lady who live at the border, Ko Kong, that would work because you could easily get to Trat for hospital or dental.

The other problem is season smog.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, polpott said:

Much more fun than the UK. I need to go back for 3 months in a months time. Really dreading it.

Until freedom of travel is approved back and forth, I am not doing anything. And yes I do international business sometimes. Seriously polpott, you aren't going anywhere yet. Funny thing is I could not wait to get back here every time and I would kiss the floor when back to my home in CM. AT SV airport, tickled and smiling like a Chesire cat. Home. 

Edited by holy cow cm

11 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

It is a so different world than other Indo places. Used to be Hong Kong as well until the poo poo from mother came to hit their fan. 

I have had some crazy nights out in Jakata.  Mostly on the company's card at the time.  You would never think you were in an Islamic country, and the women were attractive, and very available.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I have had some crazy nights out in Jakata.  Mostly on the company's card at the time.  You would never think you were in an Islamic country, and the women were attractive, and very available.  

Same for china . Somethings are greatly overlooked when on chaperoned business having the countries person take care. Now as American I would not touch China, but I fully agree with you on the odd fun that in other countries can be had. 

3 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Alcoholic drinks in Malaysia are very expensive. And there very few options. But even the worst Malaysian beer is nicer than Leo.  

but, it escapes me why farang refuse to drink Tiger, which is within 2% pricewise at the big box stores and many 711..brewed by Thai Asia Pacific, which also makes a decent Heineken.  

I did hear about the Duty Free island in MY, and that was interesting, but we had duty free booze in Arizona and smoke was about 1/20th of MY, but I never inhaled.

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

What happened to Philippines and Vietnam? Shouldn't that be on the list too?

I wont comment on the Phils because I dont like the Catholic Church, but yeah, Vietnam was the talk of the town a few years ago...still waiting to see some photos of spicy food and hot chicks.....but apparently, VN didnt want to become a trashpacker magnet and tightened the screws.  

• Haha 2

On 3/25/2021 at 9:29 AM, BritManToo said:

I didn't find PP or SR like that, food was good, many restaurant choices, I was paying between $1-$2 for breakfast in a restaurant, and $5-$10 for an evening meal. I never eat street food so I don't care how good or bad it is.

here is the photo of the breakfast menu from a  classy restaurant I used to visit (March 2020) .......

The pancakes, Tuna rolls, and omelette/bacon/beans all good served with a pot of tea (3/4 cups) for an extra $1. 

P_20190119_080753 (1).jpg

P_20190119_081624.jpg

My pal just moved from PP to Kampot, says it's very nice, restaurants and bars cheap with good quality food, no air pollution, but not many people around.

How come the menu is in USD?

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Leaver said:

They are on a lot of people's list, and on the list of future expats as well.  

I understand the Philippines being on people's list but considering how Vietnam got super unfriendly on visas even before Covid I think VN will be mostly for working expats and I don’t mean digital nomads 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I understand the Philippines being on people's list but considering how Vietnam got super unfriendly on visas even before Covid I think VN will be mostly for working expats and I don’t mean digital nomads 

5 year multiple entry marriage visas in Vietnam for around $50USD.

No money needed in a bank, no bank letters, no seasoning, no photos of you and your wife in the bedroom,. no hand drawn map of where you live, no photocopies upon photocopies, no international bank code for transfers etc etc etc etc, and yes, expats are doing sham marriages there for the marriage visa, and the authorities don't care.  

The writing is on the wall for Thailand.  Compete, or lose. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

Every Cambodian I know here (of mid-late working age) in the US has said they will never retire in Cambodia for a myriad of different reasons.   Reasons I have heard were Cambodia is corrupt, polluted, overly hot, lacking infrastructure, poor medical, and now overrun with Chinese.  However, I have heard many Vietnamese say they would go back and retire in their home country when they reach retirement age. 

Personally, I have been all over Vietnam (Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An, Saigon, Da Nang, Nha Trang, and Da Lat) and I did enjoy it quite a bit, I can see why they like their country.  The biggest issue I had was general navigation due to a lack of English spoken amongst the older generation, although the youth seemed to have a better handle on it and were excited to practice with foreigners.  The food in Vietnam was equally wonderful and the people/service stood head and shoulders above Thailand. 

That said, all things considered, I still prefer the overall comfort level of Thailand as of present.  As my wife is Thai, if we leave the US at some point, it will most likely be to Thailand but we still have a long road ahead of us in which many things could change in any of these countries.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Leaver said:

No money needed in a bank, no bank letters, no seasoning, no photos of you and your wife in the bedroom,. no hand drawn map of where you live, no photocopies upon photocopies, no international bank code for transfers etc etc etc etc, and yes, expats are doing sham marriages there for the marriage visa, and the authorities don't care.  

OK, marriage too. 

My focus is on retirement and more casual very long term visa run situations like the Philippines had before Covid and presumably will eventually be restored.

To add, I find the idea of entering into a sham marriage for a visa to be a really horrible idea, regardless of the country. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Burma Bill said:

But for how long? Quote:-

De-dollarisation is ultimate goal of the Royal Government 

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50830306/de-dollarisation-is-ultimate-goal-of-the-royal-government-2/ (26th March 2021)

I have no idea. A better question might be the pros and cons for expats of living in dollarized countries. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

So it is a marriage visa or nowt then.? Pity. 

On 3/24/2021 at 12:56 AM, BritManToo said:

I'd move to Cambodia if my kids weren't Thai.

It's a great place, beer is 50c a glass, cocktails $1, and loads of really good Indian restaurants @ $5/meal. Cannabis also very easy to access at $10/bag.

I like Siam Reap and Phnom Penh, would have no problem living in either city.

Easy retirement VISA as well at $300/year for the over 50s with minimal paperwork.

Laos no, no local women allowed in your room, and the secret police follow you around to check.

Reminds me of my trips to Vientiane Laos for my thai visa runs and walking around..psst..smoke smoke--lady boom boom...."No thanks"...walk 15 ft...hey..smoke smoke lady boom boom....."thanks, no".....repeat......And I dated a laos gal and she would take me to dark noodle shops to eat, etc..I asked why and she admitted that she didnt want to be seen by locals with me as they would think she was a hooker......I appreciated her honesty but not being thought of as a sex tourist...and that was that..

I should def check out Camb as ive never been there, just been lazy as I know my way and routines in LOS....may need to buy BM a pint and pick his brain at T-bar

If i go back to laos I will feel like James Bond knowing the "secret police" are about.... I will have one fruit shake, shaken..not stirred(wink)  ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Seriously polpott, you aren't going anywhere yet.

Seriously I am. Have my flight booked. Going back for the birth of my first grandchild, get my Covid shots and get some urgent medical treatment that I wouldn't trust to a Thai doctor. As soon as I've had my 2nd Covid shot, I'll be on the next plane back home to Thailand.

On 3/24/2021 at 11:37 PM, BritManToo said:

I've been there 5 times in the past 2 years (free VISA waiver for Brits, air fare around 1kbht each way direct from CM).

Saigon x3, Da Nang x1, Hanoi x1 and only seen a fraction of the sights I would like to visit.

You'd need a really long holiday to see it all.

IMG_20190704_164656.jpg

Im assuming all these gals were with you  ????

On 3/25/2021 at 7:43 AM, shoupy said:

In my opinion, it was paradise on earth in 1972.  You could walk out of the Thermae at closing time and get mobbed by 50 girls who wanted you to take them home.  Gave an average guy a feeling of what it must be like to be a rock star.

Just take a walk down Loy kroh .....tons of chubby isaan girls will lub u long time!  dont forget your pepper spray.. ????

• Haha 1