Would you ever seriously think about moving to Cambodia or Laos?

WineOh

Not often this question is sensibly asked and less so sensibly answered.

I am not tied to Thailand but I have never lived in Cambodia or Vietnam and haven't even been to Laos.

I have no desire for malls, no need for golf, eating local is fine though I do like spicy and I am content without 5* luxury. Medical is an issue but insurance and a couple of Plan Bs cover most of that.

Sadly, I cannot roll back the clock to the Thailand I fell in love with. The people have changed and the landscape pillaged for profit. I see that happening everywhere and nowhere is immune.

I study this argument with interest as I want to go to these places for a month or two but as I still have business in Europe then I am constrained by the amount of time I can get away in one trip and that is what, more than anything, makes me return to Thailand as I can relax on day one.

With so little time, were I to make plans say to go to Cambodia, then if I didn't want to stay there, I would have lost so much of my precious holiday getting back to Thailand and if I stayed there, then I would probably regret not going to Thailand - oh for days past when you could border hop at will ????

Yet I am aware that I could see myself asking the same question in 5 years time and regretting not going.

However, as I move toward retirement, I do want a real relationship again. That seems to preclude Laos but not Cambodia and presumably not the Philippines, which is also on the "spend a month or two there" list.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I didn't find PP or SR like that, food was good, many restaurant choices, I was paying between $1-$2 for breakfast in a restaurant, and $5-$10 for an evening meal. I never eat street food so I don't care how good or bad it is.

here is the photo of the breakfast menu from a  classy restaurant I used to visit (March 2020) .......

The pancakes, Tuna rolls, and omelette/bacon/beans all good served with a pot of tea (3/4 cups) for an extra $1. 

P_20190119_080753 (1).jpg

P_20190119_081624.jpg

My pal just moved from PP to Kampot, says it's very nice, restaurants and bars cheap with good quality food, no air pollution, but not many people around.

Looks nice mate.

Get fed in there then off to find some skirt in the early evening..

sounds like a plan! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KOZMO said:

I was here in Thailand in the good old days. Spent two years at Ubon and one year at Udorn. This was in the 70's.

I was in the US Air Force and loved Thailand, no smog, no problems with rip off's because Thailand was run by the Military

and to keep getting all the American money, they along with the Thai Police made sure we were not bothered. Pattaya was pristine. only one hotel, the Pattaya Palace. the rest were guest houses. The bars were small and super friendly. The water was actually blue in color. The girls were fantastic and many times they would just want you to pay for there breakfast after a long night of fun! Chaing Mai was so beautiful. from the top of Wat doi se tep, all you saw was Chaing Mai university. the rest was all green scenery. The ladies beauty shops turned into girls for sale at night. I loved that Thailand!!! When the first prime minister took office in 75, we had to leave Thailand, he was a communist !!! I was lucky to get to Clark AB, Philippines.

Eventhough i could speak thai, it was great to have all the people speak english.  the ladies were so beautiful. Many of my friends married there housegirls. The maids were very young and beautiful. Many Americans got rid of there Thai wives or American wives to marry these women. The price to live downtown was so cheap and the food was even cheaper. I spent 9 years total in the Philippines. Both my sons were born there also. I did not marry in Thailand but met my wife in America. I could not believe she was Thai. She was 5 ft. 5 in. and had a 36-26-38 body, spoke perfect english and i could not believe she was Thai. she loved the philippines too and we would visit Thailand and slowly see it turn into a <deleted> hole. While the Philippines cleaned up Manila and tore down all the slum areas, Thailand built many hotels but left the slums in Bangkok. you get to see them all around Bangkok. was in Bangkok last year and got caught in the lockdown. No improvement except more pollution and rip offs. I am back in Florida and the only choice if i wanted to stay would be the Philippines.

nice one mate.

Thailand sure aint the place it once was.

Oh to be here in the 70's! 

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd move to Cambodia if my kids weren't Thai.

It's a great place, beer is 50c a glass, cocktails $1, and loads of really good Indian restaurants @ $5/meal. Cannabis also very easy to access at $10/bag.

I like Siam Reap and Phnom Penh, would have no problem living in either city.

Easy retirement VISA as well at $300/year for the over 50s with minimal paperwork.

Laos no, no local women allowed in your room, and the secret police follow you around to check.

No local women.

Take them from another city.

"What would it take for you to make the move over the border?"

naught. Neither to communist Laos, Vietnam, nor to  unstable Khmer, Birma, Phillies nor to Muslim Malaysia, Indonesia

• Like 1