Would you ever seriously think about moving to Cambodia or Laos?

WineOh

16 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Brit - Thailand is a boring country imo, look around everyone is bored, there is no urgency or energy anywhere, it's just everyone plodding around with long faces. No sense of community, neighbours un-friendly, just each to his own. Who has your back here if something went wrong? I'm talking about Thai's too. Do Thai's even have true friends? I don't think so. I have nothing to do here that excites me, it's just go for a beer and eat. if it wasn't for the 'girls' who would be here?? The UK has way way more to offer (in normal times) but of course it also depends where you live, and yes it is expensive, very cold at times, and then you have the PC malarky, chavs hanging around, big brother etc etc. You could pop out for some milk in the UK and not make it home. I don't know the answer but there should be more to life here imo. 

Must b where u live. Where I am it's a great community, people are way happier than in my home country, and I have been here for 15yrs with my Farang wife, so no need for "girls".

We sail, paddleboard, kayak, big-bike tour, hike, volunteer for community projects, garden, have many D.I.Y. projects, bike rebuild projects, manage our business back home, and drink beer and eat very well (Mrs. Mikebike is an excellent cook and baker).

So sorry for you my friend.

• Like 2

The question I have is are you planning to move there because everything is better than Thailand or just because it is cheaper. Why should anyone move to another country just because they are the same as what Thailand was 20 years ago? I will never move to Cambodia because of cheaper bear or food. I had been there twice and in fact I didn't like it the second time. All the things you mentioned are cheaper than Thailand I found them even more expensive as lots of Korean, Chinese coming there. And to me honest I didn't see anything so wonderful that worth leaving Thailand for it. On the other hand if I leave Thailand for any other country I will rather choose Vietnam or Philippines and may be Indonesia or Malaysia. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2021 at 9:29 PM, simon43 said:

Well, it seems very few would consider moving to live in Laos.  I'm genuinely interested to know why.  Please tell. 

I can only relate to living in Luang Prabang.  I would not want to live in Vientiane - it has changed for the worse since I used to visit a decade or so ago. Other rural locations in the country are indeed, too 'rural' for my liking.  But LP works great for me ????

It's high on my list, If I could resist the urge to go to a Country  where I could live by the sea...

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

Must b where u live. Where I am it's a great community, people are way happier than in my home country, and I have been here for 15yrs with my Farang wife, so no need for "girls".

We sail, paddleboard, kayak, big-bike tour, hike, volunteer for community projects, garden, have many D.I.Y. projects, bike rebuild projects, manage our business back home, and drink beer and eat very well (Mrs. Mikebike is an excellent cook and baker).

So sorry for you my friend.

LOL. Hike? Haha. I think you need to save the sympathy for yourself with that life.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

waiting for beer o'clock isn't a great long term plan, it seems to be a slow death. Personally doing stuff outside is fun for many, including golf, cycling groups, whatever. One thing that stuck in my mind when I went to PP was the loser alcoholics bar flies that looked ill, dressed terrible and were on the conveyor belt to death, living the dream

Tbh I only drink twice, max 3x a week, and that is only a few bottles? As for cycling groups? Dear lord, I suppose it's one way of coming out of the closet. As for golf, who wants to chase after a small white ball in this heat for 4 hours and only end up in the 19th hole after anyway. All you have done is just proved my point that there is nowt to do here.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Tbh I only drink twice, max 3x a week, and that is only a few bottles? As for cycling groups? Dear lord, I suppose it's one way of coming out of the closet. As for golf, who wants to chase after a small white ball in this heat for 4 hours and only end up in the 19th hole after anyway. All you have done is just proved my point that there is nowt to do here.

the thing is, if all you are doing is drinking and chasing skirt, you will go stir crazy eventually. Maybe get an employee girlfriend and drag her around all day but that's not great

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

the thing is, if all you are doing is drinking and chasing skirt, you will go stir crazy eventually. Maybe get an employee girlfriend and drag her around all day but that's not great

Drag her around where, there's no where to go and it's too hot anyway. But don't know where you get that idea from fella, maybe you didn't read my posts properly. I'm married with kids, I suppose you are too busy with your cycle groups and hiking to start a family lol. Enjoy it.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

I'm married with kids, I suppose you are too busy with your cycle groups and hiking to start a family lol

Our kids are grown. Moved here in our 40s and we do love hiking the local waterfalls, which are numerous, and quite refreshing when we want a different perspective to our beachfront bungalow. 

Lovin' life!!

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 12:58 PM, KOZMO said:

I was here in Thailand in the good old days. Spent two years at Ubon and one year at Udorn. This was in the 70's.

I was in the US Air Force and loved Thailand, no smog, no problems with rip off's because Thailand was run by the Military

and to keep getting all the American money, they along with the Thai Police made sure we were not bothered. Pattaya was pristine. only one hotel, the Pattaya Palace. the rest were guest houses. The bars were small and super friendly. The water was actually blue in color. The girls were fantastic and many times they would just want you to pay for there breakfast after a long night of fun! Chaing Mai was so beautiful. from the top of Wat doi se tep, all you saw was Chaing Mai university. the rest was all green scenery. The ladies beauty shops turned into girls for sale at night. I loved that Thailand!!! When the first prime minister took office in 75, we had to leave Thailand, he was a communist !!! I was lucky to get to Clark AB, Philippines.

Eventhough i could speak thai, it was great to have all the people speak english.  the ladies were so beautiful. Many of my friends married there housegirls. The maids were very young and beautiful. Many Americans got rid of there Thai wives or American wives to marry these women. The price to live downtown was so cheap and the food was even cheaper. I spent 9 years total in the Philippines. Both my sons were born there also. I did not marry in Thailand but met my wife in America. I could not believe she was Thai. She was 5 ft. 5 in. and had a 36-26-38 body, spoke perfect english and i could not believe she was Thai. she loved the philippines too and we would visit Thailand and slowly see it turn into a <deleted> hole. While the Philippines cleaned up Manila and tore down all the slum areas, Thailand built many hotels but left the slums in Bangkok. you get to see them all around Bangkok. was in Bangkok last year and got caught in the lockdown. No improvement except more pollution and rip offs. I am back in Florida and the only choice if i wanted to stay would be the Philippines.

So Laos or Cambodia?

On 3/25/2021 at 12:58 PM, KOZMO said:

I was here in Thailand in the good old days. Spent two years at Ubon and one year at Udorn. This was in the 70's.

I was in the US Air Force and loved Thailand, no smog, no problems with rip off's because Thailand was run by the Military

and to keep getting all the American money, they along with the Thai Police made sure we were not bothered. Pattaya was pristine. only one hotel, the Pattaya Palace. the rest were guest houses. The bars were small and super friendly. The water was actually blue in color. The girls were fantastic and many times they would just want you to pay for there breakfast after a long night of fun! Chaing Mai was so beautiful. from the top of Wat doi se tep, all you saw was Chaing Mai university. the rest was all green scenery. The ladies beauty shops turned into girls for sale at night. I loved that Thailand!!! When the first prime minister took office in 75, we had to leave Thailand, he was a communist !!! I was lucky to get to Clark AB, Philippines.

Eventhough i could speak thai, it was great to have all the people speak english.  the ladies were so beautiful. Many of my friends married there housegirls. The maids were very young and beautiful. Many Americans got rid of there Thai wives or American wives to marry these women. The price to live downtown was so cheap and the food was even cheaper. I spent 9 years total in the Philippines. Both my sons were born there also. I did not marry in Thailand but met my wife in America. I could not believe she was Thai. She was 5 ft. 5 in. and had a 36-26-38 body, spoke perfect english and i could not believe she was Thai. she loved the philippines too and we would visit Thailand and slowly see it turn into a <deleted> hole. While the Philippines cleaned up Manila and tore down all the slum areas, Thailand built many hotels but left the slums in Bangkok. you get to see them all around Bangkok. was in Bangkok last year and got caught in the lockdown. No improvement except more pollution and rip offs. I am back in Florida and the only choice if i wanted to stay would be the Philippines.

So Laos or Cambodia?

• Haha 1

There is no "another" Thailand mate. There is Thailand 40 years ago and Thailand now. Nothing else will ever be Thailand or resemble it. If your goal, which it seems to be is cheap wine and cheap women then you may find somewhere else. Good luck.

As others have mentioned Vietnam or the Phillos maybe considerable options but they pale in comparison. I don't know who in their right mind would choose to live in Cambodia or Laos but hey fill your boots.

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

Coming from Canada I can honestly say we have never complained about the heat. Love it.

I don't have a problem with the heat either.  Yesterday was 38 degrees and I'm on top of the hill messing about with my massive erection (antenna erection for my radio transmitter I mean...)

When I lived in Naypyitaw a few years ago, cycling was difficult in the hot season because the city is in the dry zone ==> 45 degrees.  That was hot work, but still fun to keep fit ????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

You're a star-belly sneech, you **** like a leech
You want everyone to act like you
Kiss *** while you ***** so you can get rich
But your boss gets richer off you
Well, you'll work harder with a gun in your back
For a bowl of rice a day
Slave for soldiers till you starve
Then your head is skewered on a stake

Now you can go where people are one
Now you can go where they get things done
What you need, my son
What you need, my son

Is a holiday in Cambodia
Where people dress in black
A holiday in Cambodia
Where you'll kiss *** or crack

Dead Kennedys?

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 7:16 PM, starky said:

As others have mentioned Vietnam or the Phillos maybe considerable options but they pale in comparison.

In what ways do they pale in comparison?  How long have you spent in The Philippines and Vietnam?  

OP, from your post I think your main issue is that Thailand is not a poor country anymore. Well, it is not going to get any better, so enjoy the rude while you can. The next generations may need to choose between Sub-Saharan Africa or the trailer back home. I bet Vietnam will be way more developed in 10-15 years, and there would be some new visa restrictions imposed.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Absolutely never. most, but not all, guys I know that moved from Thailand to there were skint, alcoholic, drug addict, sex addict, or a combination of pre-mentioned. 

And which country made them that way?  ????

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

I bet Vietnam will be way more developed in 10-15 years, and there would be some new visa restrictions imposed.

That would make Vietnam a good option for the next 10 to 15 years then.  Right?   ????

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with expats seeking nations that are in "sweet spot" at the current time in offering what the expats are looking for in terms of cost of living, acceptable level of development, opportunities, visas, etc. In fact it's very smart. 

Let's face it, at this stage, Thailand is a well worn mainstream "name brand" expat option. As with many consumer choices, those often don't add up to the best deals. To channel the Nomad Capitalist, go where you're treated best.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 9:29 AM, BritManToo said:

I didn't find PP or SR like that, food was good, many restaurant choices, I was paying between $1-$2 for breakfast in a restaurant, and $5-$10 for an evening meal. I never eat street food so I don't care how good or bad it is.

here is the photo of the breakfast menu from a  classy restaurant I used to visit (March 2020) .......

The pancakes, Tuna rolls, and omelette/bacon/beans all good served with a pot of tea (3/4 cups) for an extra $1. 

My pal just moved from PP to Kampot, says it's very nice, restaurants and bars cheap with good quality food, no air pollution, but not many people around.

Fair enough. Personally, I didn't move to Asia to eat western food everyday at 300 baht a meal. Cambodia, or specifically Phnom Penh, is ok for a short break where you don't mind paying holiday prices for your food etc. Living there long term, in my experience, is expensive and begins to grind you down. Phnom Penh doesn't even have one public park to exercise and get way from the very dirty, oppressive city and its incessant traffic.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The riverside promenade/running track is perfect, I walked along every morning and evening.

P_20190411_100424 (2).jpg

Hey..what happened to the chinese cuties! ????  I did note helmets on the two on the mbike :)....still scanning for the 7-11!...no vendors setting up to block the walkway?