Would you ever seriously think about moving to Cambodia or Laos?

WineOh

Just now, CharlieH said:

I have yet to visit Vietnam but have read good reports and it looks very nice.

If things went pear shaped I would definitely explore it further.

My mate moved 7 months ago to VN. He works for MAKRO. He just loves everything. Invited me over (once Covid allows).

• Like 2

Up to you if cheap beer, apartment cost and uneducated girls are your deciding factor to move.

Personally I am quite happy here. I keep wanting to move back to Canada but I just can't quit. My wife and I own a condo, but are renting another place close to her work. The place is very close to Ekkamai BTS, super modern 35sqm condo that comes with better than hotel furniture and my god Japanese toilet. Do you know the pleasures of taking a dump on a warm seat every morning? Can I get that comfort in Laos and Cambodia for $550 a month including wifi? At gateway ekkamai there is this Amazing Isaan gal that makes one of the best pizzas in Bangkok. 5 bucks for a medium. 

GRAB. So many choices for so cheap. I am a cheap charlie so I use coupons and promos. My god, it's practically free and they give you promos. 

MALLS

One thing Farang mug does not realize is that the bigger the city the cheaper the prices. Thailand has a lot of manufacturing and I can get a lot of good things for next to nothing. Yes, cheaper in the west, the problem is most people don't know where to look. Even brand names that people say it's a ripoff. There is a reason Chinese used to come here on big shopping trips, They know their stuff.

If you think the price of beer and 100 chitty apartment and uneducated hoz should be a   deciding factor then by all means shoo

BTW, I wouldn't live in Thailand 40 years ago. Not for me. I actually noticed the longer I live here the less scams there are. I came here as a backpacker in 2003 and the difference is huge.

• Like 2

I really don't want to live under a communist or an oppressive authoritarian government but the reality is politically ideal place is slim pickings at best in this part of the world. If the straws are keep getting filed on the back of the Thai camel, it would definitely force me to look elsewhere. Sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, WineOh said:

Ok, thanks for the input!

For those who say a firm NO, what is it that is keeping you here?

What do you love about Thailand?

I stay in Thailand, and particularly in Pattaya

for the girls (Large choice and relatively cheap) 

also to be near the sea, with a hot weather, a good infrastructure

a cheap cost of life in a fun and vibrant city were the reasons why i have chosen to live here.

However a lot of things have changed year after year

a catastrophic xchange rate evolution (The euro has lost near 40% in 10 years vs the baht) an increase in the cost of life (The rent and street food are still cheap, but a lot of others things are up) the sea and air pollution worse year after year and now the covid crisis destroying the city, taking out all of the fun (Imo we are in for a very long and hard time since the highest Thai authorities and elites have always wanted to change Thailand's international reputation, getting rid of all the visible sex trade, and it's now or never for them)

As i want to be near the sea Laos isn't an option, and infrastructure in Cambodgia isn't great plus the air pollution is the same in most of these countries.

Also i don't drink beer so i don't really care about the cost of it lol

Then my plan B is Mexico

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

As i want to be near the sea Laos isn't an option, and infrastructure in Cambodgia isn't great plus the air pollution is the same in most of these countries.

Not true, Cambodia air is totally clear compared to Thailand.

I couldn't believe how clean it was the first time I left the smog of Chiang Mai for the clear air of Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.

• Like 2

Right now I would rather be in Thailand than most places. I was here during the VN war in 1967 on a r&r fron VN and yes the place and people were great. But time goes on and there are a lot more people in Thailand now then in 1967. The government is not making a lot of money from taxation as most Thais hate paying taxes so that leaves the infrastructure and hospitals in need of help. Everything changes as time moves on and you just have to change with them or no matter where you live you will not be happy.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 11:44 AM, WineOh said:

they (Cambodia) have everything that Thailand has just cheaper.

Thank you for your favorable comments but with respect not electricity!  My monthly electric bill here in Siem Reap is far more expensive than the one in Thailand. Cambodia buys electricity from Thailand. My Thai bill was around 800 baht (about 27$) per month, including one air-conditioning unit and the usual appliances, but here in Cambodia, with virtually the same appliances but with 2 air-conditioning units, it is around 100$ per month.  Favorably, mains water to my apartment is not metered and I get an unlimited supply for a flat rate of 5$ (150 baht) per month, payable to my landlord.

• Sad 1

What would it take for you to make the move over the border? 

I'd move if Phnom Penh was as developed Bangkok.   In other words I wouldn't. 

Why move to somewhere *less* developed?  

• Like 1

Cambodia .............. they have everything that Thailand has just cheaper

Thank you for your favorable comments but with respect, not electricity. My monthly metered bill in Thailand was around 800 baht (27$) per month for the usual electrical appliances and one air-conditioning unit. Here in Siem Reap I pay around 100$ ( 3,000 baht) metered for virtually the same appliances and 2 air-conditioning units. Cambodia buys electricity from Thailand. However, favorably, mains water to my apartment is not metered and I get an unlimited supply for just 5$ (150 baht) per month paid to my landlord. 

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

...Cambodia buys electricity from Thailand....

[/quote]

Laos has a distinct advantage, in that its many hydro dams provide cheap electricity for the country, and exported to china and Thailand.  One downside is of course, the problems that damming the Mekong and other rivers can cause, such as to fish migration.

anyone factoring in cost of electricity in their moving decision should stay at home.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

anyone factoring in cost of electricity in their moving decision should stay at home.

It's about running the air-conditioning 24/7.If I was going to move to the tropics it's something I would want to know about.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

Not a factor for me - I use no air-con, my house is cool enough (in the shade of trees etc).

• Thanks 2