Would you ever seriously think about moving to Cambodia or Laos?

WineOh

On 3/24/2021 at 7:16 AM, simon43 said:

After returning to Thailand, after working in Myanmar for about 5 years, I found the Thailand that I remembered when I first moved there in 2002, had changed too much for me to consider living there in my retirement.  I therefore relocated to live in Luang Prabang, a town where I briefly worked as the Headmaster of the international school, about 8 years ago.

The fact that it is a communist country actually seemed a bonus.  Here is a town where the kids go out and pick up litter from the streets each week, and the local adults do the same.  Unlike Thailand, the various authorities (police, immigration etc) don't have the slightest interest in sticking themselves into my life.  I don't have to do 90-day reports, nor inform anyone of my whereabouts and trips, nor even visit an immigration office to get my annual business visa, work permit and ID card.

(I guess things would be different if I were a Hmong activist etc, but without the slightest interest in politics or religion, I enjoy living here).  Sure, Laos is completely under the thumb of China, but again, none of this affects me in a negative way.

I'm not a sex monger, but 'compony' is readily available if one is discrete.  Don't sh*t in your own house of course, so use a hotel (I've done this many times).  Secret police?  Look, I have more radio transmitters and strange antennas than Goonhilly Down, but the police and authorities never bother me - well I've never had a visit so far ????

The food is excellent, with daily French baguettes, Lao coffee and local dishes.

Some people tell me that living in Laos is expensive.  I rent an old Lao house - 3 bedrooms,  just 100 metres from the Mekong river.  It has a beautiful garden and I pay under 11,000 baht a month, plus 100 baht for water and about 3,000 baht for electricity.  I find food cheap!

Crime?  Nothing affects me.  No pilfering or anything.  I learnt many years ago that security fences/cameras/dogs etc attract criminals.  All I have are the rusty metal bars on my windows.  Besides, I have little to steal.

My local bank account (with a Franco-Belgian bank) gives me 6 - 8% annual interest...

I guess the only downside are the lack of decent health/hospital facilities.  It's important to have expat/medivac insurance and to stay healthy!!

Forgot to add that my online teaching job needs fast internet.  I have 50 MB/sec fibre connections into my house from both LaoTel and Unitel, plus 4G mobile data as a backup.  I rarely have a connection problem.

Well presented, Simon - 

Appears that you've put some in their place.

Flame poet and responses removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Laos hands down. Not a contest.

I used LP as my bolt hole back in the early aughts (noughties), when living in CM. It is definitely not a problem finding women if you are living there. Still it would be LP not Vientiane. Some CW's lived in Vientiane for a year, ok, but they moved on. Living in Portugal today. 

Cambodia, I could live there but I wonder if I would ever like it. For me, that decision is as easy as their street food. Full stop right there.

I would head to Indonesia before Laos or Cambodia.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, polpott said:

Sorry to bore other posters but I was asked.

Sat waiting for a train at KL station. Talking to a young couple and as soon as I told them that I was English they turned away and blanked me.

On arriving at the rail station in JB, went to the information desk and asked directions to the city centre. Gave me a convoluted set of instructions and walked miles without success. After asking several people I ended up at my start point and it turned out that "City Centre" was the name of the shopping mall through a set of double doors from the information desk.

Went to the bus depot in Georgetown. Asked the young guy in the ticket office which was the bus to Batu Ferrhingi. Never looked up from his newspaper and pointed in the general direction of several buses. Asked again only to get the same response

I could go on. Found the native Malays to be ignorant, unhelpful and generally unpleasant, Chinese Malays absolutely the opposite, lovely people.

I've stayed in several moslem countries, never found one where I warmed to the locals.

Worked and travelled in many Islamic countries, some of them being real sh*te holes.  Found the locals to be friendly.  Many were poor by western standards, but always offered a coffee and an smile.  

Travelled Malaysia's tourists areas several times, and have been to KL many times.  Never a problem.  

Personally, I found the Chinese Malaysians extremely attractive.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Worked and travelled in many Islamic countries, some of them being real sh*te holes.  Found the locals to be friendly.  Many were poor by western standards, but always offered a coffee and an smile.  

Travelled Malaysia's tourists areas several times, and have been to KL many times.  Never a problem.  

Strange how in every thread and every subject you manage to disagree with everyone else and have more experience than them. Habitual troll or what? Half of my extended family are moslem and I've lived with the locals in one. I know what I'm talking about.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

Strange how in every thread and every subject you manage to disagree with everyone else and have more experience than them. Habitual troll or what? Half of my extended family are moslem and I've lived with the locals in one. I know what I'm talking about.

Strange how I say I have had positive experiences with Muslems in Islamic countries, including Malaysia, yet you say I disagree with you, and everyone else, for that matter, and then claim you have more experience than me, after accusing me of claiming I have more experience than others.

I make no apology that I am NOT a Thai apologist, but you are way off mark with this post.

Actually, more like a personal attack, yet you call me troll.  Strange.  

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Strange how I say I have had positive experiences with Muslems in Islamic countries, including Malaysia, yet you say I disagree with you, and everyone else, for that matter, and then claim you have more experience than me, after accusing me of claiming I have more experience than others.

I make no apology that I am NOT a Thai apologist, but you are way off mark with this post.

Actually, more like a personal attack, yet you call me troll.  Strange.  

You take away the Muslim folk during my drinking time and then you have taken away most disagreements. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Absolutely. I remember walking around a quiet, fairly well off neighborhood in Riyadh where there was a little park for the kids to play. Just chatting with my wife and a Saudi guy practically ran out of his house to offer me tea and cake. 

Wonder if a Saudi guy wearing thobe would get a British guy do the same in a nice part of London?

????????????????

Somehow. I think not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

Absolutely. I remember walking around a quiet, fairly well off neighborhood in Riyadh where there was a little park for the kids to play. Just chatting with my wife and a Saudi guy practically ran out of his house to offer me tea and cake. 

Wonder if a Saudi guy wearing thobe would get a British guy do the same in a nice part of London?

????????????????

Somehow. I think not.

What have you ever been offered by a Thai guy, not including a lady boy?  ????

Edited by Leaver

1 hour ago, polpott said:

Sorry to bore other posters but I was asked.

Sat waiting for a train at KL station. Talking to a young couple and as soon as I told them that I was English they turned away and blanked me.

On arriving at the rail station in JB, went to the information desk and asked directions to the city centre. Gave me a convoluted set of instructions and walked miles without success. After asking several people I ended up at my start point and it turned out that "City Centre" was the name of the shopping mall through a set of double doors from the information desk.

Went to the bus depot in Georgetown. Asked the young guy in the ticket office which was the bus to Batu Ferrhingi. Never looked up from his newspaper and pointed in the general direction of several buses. Asked again only to get the same response

I could go on. Found the native Malays to be ignorant, unhelpful and generally unpleasant, Chinese Malays absolutely the opposite, lovely people.

I've stayed in several moslem countries, never found one where I warmed to the locals.

I have had my share of tossed on there and even here in south Thailand by them. My point now is to avoid all of them and let them only deal with themselves their own kind if it is possible for me for where I am at. 20 years ago I was actually poisoned in the food by.... 

• Like 1