difficult times for Asian Women abroad

lodstewart

Yes it's not the 90s is it ?

https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/02/18/covid-blackface-tv-chinas-racism-problem-runs-deep

Now should we mention the Uyghirs or is that distasteful to you. See I live in a world  where healthy debate is welcomed calling anything I said in my above post as inherently racist is preposterous.  Stating that it is not only white people who are racist is a fact not inherently racist. 

Besides giving me platitudes and telling me to do better show me some solid verifiable facts to prove me wrong. 

And so because you were a racist society in the 90's has no bearing on the discussion cos everything is all better now? According to who.

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed

Well, it's strange that my wife probably experienced more racism within Thailand than she has ever experienced in the US.

She's clearly Lao, and a dreadful experience of internal Thai racism was years ago, when her and her sister were shopping for a wedding dress in a fairly upscale store in Bangkok.

The stupid white skinned shop girl, insisted on inspecting my wife's hands to ensure she wasn't a farmer!

She switched from Lao to Thai, I weighed in on Thai and Lao, couldn't believe it.

My wife may well look Lao, but she grew up in the US, US college educated, yet this maybe high school educated shop girl decided because of the color of my wife's skin color made her somewhat inferior is typical of the internal racism of Thailand.

Now I'm in no way saying that racism doesn't happen in the US or the West in general, but for us at least my wife has never once experienced a racist event in the US.

• Thanks 2

On 3/27/2021 at 6:57 AM, starky said:

Nothing new about racism. It's also not just perpetrated by white people. Think Chinese aren't racist? How about hi-so Thais compared to those raised in Isaan any racism there? Vietnamese?  Pick your race. Any ancient cultures racist to anyone at all? Or pretty much just white people responsible for all this racism in your opinion? 

Whataboutery ... it doesn't undermine Starky's argument one whit. It still stands whatever the others do or did.

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well, it's strange that my wife probably experienced more racism within Thailand than she has ever experienced in the US.

She's clearly Lao, and a dreadful experience of internal Thai racism was years ago, when her and her sister were shopping for a wedding dress in a fairly upscale store in Bangkok.

The stupid white skinned shop girl, insisted on inspecting my wife's hands to ensure she wasn't a farmer!

She switched from Lao to Thai, I weighed in on Thai and Lao, couldn't believe it.

My wife may well look Lao, but she grew up in the US, US college educated, yet this maybe high school educated shop girl decided because of the color of my wife's skin color made her somewhat inferior is typical of the internal racism of Thailand.

Now I'm in no way saying that racism doesn't happen in the US or the West in general, but for us at least my wife has never once experienced a racist event in the US.

That’s not real racism...

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Oh silly me, pseudo racism then I guess.

Much better than full fledged racism!

No it’s Asian privilege. Whenever someone has to throw in “educated” is showing off ones privilege. Your wife was never a victim and it wasn’t real racism. 

Stop equating the subjugation of blacks in the US to some rando conversation of skin color on hands. 

Blacks are heavily victimized and over policed in the US. THATS. REAL. RACISM. 

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So you think Asians can be racist against other Asians?  That doesn't make sense.  This is part of the problem, people using the term racism for every injustice or discrimination.  It really dilutes the true meaning.   

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

So you think Asians can be racist against other Asians?  That doesn't make sense.  This is part of the problem, people using the term racism for every injustice or discrimination.  It really dilutes the true meaning.   

So, assuming you are English, apologies if you aren't. By your definition of racism, this means that it probably was racist to discriminate against black, but not Irish? 

...and we'll forget the dogs! 

Just curious

No Irish.jpg