Yellow Book Accepted Bang Lamung DLT?

Banana7

For changing license plates on a car from Bangkok to Chonburi province, will the Bang Lamung (Pattaya) Department of Land Transportation (DLT) accept a yellow house book as proof of address? If they don't, will the Sriracha or Chonburi city DLT accept the yellow book? Or is my only alternative to a certificate of residence from immigration>

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, jackdd said:

There is no need to change the license plates, save yourself the time

I thought the vehicle had to be registered in the province of residence?

Also, when the annual tax is due, does it have to be paid the province of the license plate?

Finally, if the vehicle is sold, doesn't the paper work have to be done in the province of the license plate?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

There is no need to change the license plates, save yourself the time

If @Banana7 wants the cars blue book to show their name  and doesn't want to go to Bangkok

or doesn't have a Bangkok  "residence"  ( or whatever province the license plate is currently showing)

then the number plate will have to be changed  because they (DLT) insist that the car is "moved" to the new province of your  "residence" before they will change the name in the book.

There have been reports on this forum that Chonburi DLT will not except yellow books..you have to goto Chonburi DLT to change the plates they will not do it at Sriracha or the Pattaya DLT.

Getting a "residence certificate" from Pattaya immigration is rather painless, 300 baht and ready in about an hour or less.

( just check they don't make any mistakes  with your name ,address or passport number I had 3 on my last one !!! )

Paying the yearly road tax and insurance can be done anywhere no mater what province the car is registered in so if the car's blue book  is already in @Banana7name then yes there is no need to change the number plates.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I used yellow book to put ownership into my name at Chonburi. That was a couple of years ago so may have changed.

They insisted on CoR for my 2nd 5 year DL in August, YB had been ok previously.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johng said:

If @Banana7 wants the cars blue book to show their name  and doesn't want to go to Bangkok

or doesn't have a Bangkok  "residence"  ( or whatever province the license plate is currently showing)

then the number plate will have to be changed  because they (DLT) insist that the car is "moved" to the new province of your  "residence" before they will change the name in the book.

There have been reports on this forum that Chonburi DLT will not except yellow books..you have to goto Chonburi DLT to change the plates they will not do it at Sriracha or the Pattaya DLT.

Getting a "residence certificate" from Pattaya immigration is rather painless, 300 baht and ready in about an hour or less.

( just check they don't make any mistakes  with your name ,address or passport number I had 3 on my last one !!! )

Paying the yearly road tax and insurance can be done anywhere no mater what province the car is registered in so if the car's blue book  is already in @Banana7name then yes there is no need to change the number plates.

The vehicle now has Bangkok plates. The Bangkok car dealer, from whom the vehicle was purchased, said he would arrange to register the car in my name, meaning my name in the blue book, in Bangkok. I did provide a COR, with my Pattaya address, to the dealer.

Based on the preceding posts, it seems I don't have to change the plates to Chonburi. I can pay the annual tax at any DLT office. When and if I choose to sell, the transfer will have to be done in Bangkok as long as it still has Bangkok plates.

Is this correct?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I thought the vehicle had to be registered in the province of residence?

Also, when the annual tax is due, does it have to be paid the province of the license plate?

Finally, if the vehicle is sold, doesn't the paper work have to be done in the province of the license plate?

live in Rayong, have had Bangkok plates for five years, no problem paying the tax here, but if it gets sold will have to be done in Bangkok

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I can pay the annual tax at any DLT office.

If the car is less than 7 years old (less than 5 years old in case of a motorbike) you can also pay it at 7/11. But you need a Thai with Thai ID card to do this (can be any Thai person), for a foreigner alone it's not possible, because the clerk has to put an ID card in the card reader.

46 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

When and if I choose to sell, the transfer will have to be done in Bangkok as long as it still has Bangkok plates.

No, the transfer can be done at any DLT.

But if the transfer is done at another DLT than where the car is registered it is a two step process, the buyer has to make two trips to the DLT.

Edited by jackdd
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If the car is less than 7 years old (less than 5 years old in case of a motorbike) you can also pay it at 7/11. But you need a Thai with Thai ID card to do this (can be any Thai person), for a foreigner alone it's not possible, because the clerk has to put an ID card in the card reader.

No, the transfer can be done at any DLT.

But if the transfer is done at another DLT than where the car is registered it is a two step process, the buyer has to make two trips to the DLT.

When doing the transfer at a DLT other than vehicle's registered province, what is done on the 1st visit and what happens on the second visit?

1 minute ago, Banana7 said:

When doing the transfer at a DLT other than vehicle's registered province, what is done on the 1st visit and what happens on the second visit?

The DLT where you do it has to request certain documents from the DLT where the car is registered which come by mail, which takes a few days.

So on the first visit you (the buyer of the vehicle) initiate the transfer, then they tell you to come back after a few days, and then on the second visit you complete the transfer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Based on the preceding posts, it seems I don't have to change the plates to Chonburi.

Correct.

I can pay the annual tax at any DLT office

you can pay at the DLT or any of the vehicle testing centers, apparently you can also pay at 7/11 .

When and if I choose to sell, the transfer will have to be done in Bangkok as long as it still has Bangkok plates.

when/if you sell just give the new owner the "necessary" paperwork  and let them do the transfer themself.

For the new owner if they are not Bangkok resident then it will be a 2 step process

because they will have to  go  back and get new number plates from their local DLT.

Remember that as a foreigner when selling the DLT will want to see a copy of your passport and visa page a complication can arise if you as the owner are not in Thailand when the new owner tries to transfer ownership you will need to send them a signed copy of your exit from Thailand stamp in your passport.

"necessary documents"   Vehicle_Transfer_2.zip

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2021 at 5:56 PM, Banana7 said:

The vehicle now has Bangkok plates. The Bangkok car dealer, from whom the vehicle was purchased, said he would arrange to register the car in my name, meaning my name in the blue book, in Bangkok. I did provide a COR, with my Pattaya address, to the dealer.

It will be interesting to see if the dealer can do this, DLT have been insisting on the vehicle being registered in the same province as the registered owner for quite sometime now, especially if the owner is not Thai.

17 hours ago, Mattd said:

It will be interesting to see if the dealer can do this, DLT have been insisting on the vehicle being registered in the same province as the registered owner for quite sometime now, especially if the owner is not Thai.

If Thai I believe they are not strict... most still have their address per their origins in Nakhon Nowhere, Issan, despite having been in Banglamung many years. I also thought this was no longer necessary for anybody.