Real estate: Foreigners told that 2021 is a Golden Year for investment in condos

webfact

I think the best thing to do is wait until this coming Winter is over, and see just how many

people are actually travelling internationally.  My guess is that there will a lot less travelling than the TAT or Thai government

is presently forecasting.  Those that do travel will be very cautious, and if Thailand still won't let a regular foreigner

buy and own their own house,, the situation will be not change much from the past.  If Thailand will not drop the 90 day reporting nonsense

and improving their visa requirement, the situation will not improve either. The fact is that Thailand has to change if they want

a better future which includes foreign expats. I certainly do not plan to stay any longer in Thailand until there are a lot

of improvements in a lot of areas. Guess I will be an occasional tourist for a few more years.

Geezer

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

I have come up against this many times, there are thousands of homes like this, the owners would rather leave them empty than reduce the rent, I always say they have to much money. 

Many of them are Chinese Thai with established business in the area. 

What surprises me from your post is that they are still holding out for stupid rents during the pandemic. 

They are probably doing quite well from the rents they collect from Thais at markets, and the shops they own. 

I think that save face and stuborness has been bread into Thai by the Chinese. 

That bizarre issue of face again. You are likely correct. A shame when face gets in the way of good business sense.

The pathological insistence on maintaining face, is perhaps the single most significant weakness most Thai people have, in my opinion.

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. Nothing, less than zero. Strangers count for nothing, when it comes to what they think about you. They are just strangers, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, a man or woman is made a far lesser person.

I consider the practice of face to be the polar opposite of the practice of Buddhism, which teaches the need for introspection, contemplation, owning up to a problem, and taking responsibility for issues, problems and tragedies that you create in life.

Edited by spidermike007

37 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The pathological insistence on maintaining face, is perhaps the single most significant weakness most Thai people have, in my opinion.

Absolutely agree. I wonder also how much the country of Thailand has been held back from prosperity over the years due to this face issue.