Marriage extension and Passport ?

OK I'll try keep this short.

My Friend with Thai wife and family here has been stuck in UK because of C19, he has had both injections.

He phoned me and asked do I know if it's correct that if he comes back to Thailand in September,  his Non 'O' visa which he got in Vietnam has run out so he will come in on a 30 day tourist visa.

He said he has been told, on a 30 day tourist entry new rules because of C19 he can go Thai immigration and get his marriage visa done.

I have no idea does anyone know what he has to do to stay longer than 30 days.

Yes he can do as you outlined. The visa exempt is 45 days currently.

He will obtain a non O marriage at immigration. The non o has financial requirements. One option is to have 400k baht in his Thai bank account on the day he applies. That gives him 90 day stamp. He will then obtain an extension 12 month, having the 400k in the bank for 2 months. After the under consideration period he can use the money in the account as he wishes.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

He could apply for a single entry non-o visa at the embassy online. Requirements are near the end of this page on the embassy website. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

He will need a onward ticket for a visa exempt entry that is not required for the non-o visa.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes he can do as you outlined. The visa exempt is 45 days currently.

He will obtain a non O marriage at immigration. The non o has financial requirements. One option is to have 400k baht in his Thai bank account on the day he applies. That gives him 90 day stamp. He will then obtain an extension 12 month, having the 400k in the bank for 2 months. 

Many thanks so he has been informed correctly and he has the money required.

I can help him with the truck load of papers he needs for marriage extension as I do that extension myself and we use the same immigration office.

I will covey the good news to him he is missing his family and before C19 was 6 months UK  and 6 moths Thailand.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He could apply for a single entry non-o visa at the embassy online. Requirements are near the end of this page on the embassy website. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

He will need a onward ticket for a visa exempt entry that is not required for the non-o visa.

OK thanks Joe I will let him know of this option to.

I take it he can still just arrive Thailand with his return ticket, go immigration and get his marriage extension sorted out without going on-line.

Edited by Kwasaki
confirmation

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

OK thanks Joe I will let him know of this option to.

Just note that ubonjoe mentioned requirement of ONWARD ticket. Does not need to be return ticket. Any ticked out of Thailand will do.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just note that ubonjoe mentioned requirement of ONWARD ticket. Does not need to be return ticket. Any ticked out of Thailand will do.

Thanks again I just wanted to confirm he can just come into Thailand in Sept, go immigration and sort marriage extension out. 

29 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I take it he can still just arrive Thailand with his return ticket, go immigration and get his marriage extension sorted out without going on-line.

If he gets a non-o visa he will not a need ticket out of the country (return or onward).

If gets the non-o visa he can apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 days of his entry.

If he enters visa exempt it will be a 2 step process to get the non-o visa and then the one year extension at immigration. The visa will be 2000 baht and the extension 1900 baht. He will have to show financial proof for both of them but for the visa the 400k baht will only need to be in the bank on the day he applies.

Nothing done at immigration is done online.

He will will have apply online for his certificate of entry and have that before he enters the country with or without a visa.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If he enters visa exempt it will be a 2 step process to get the non-o visa and then the one year extension at immigration.

Thanks please bear with me he is not computer friendly and don't want to explain to him anything wrong.

As I understood when people come Thailand they get their passport stamped for 30 days that's all I remember.

So when you say " If he enters visa exempt" is that the same these days.

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Some people say...."30 day visa on arrival"

That sort of thing. It's not a visa. It's a visa exempt entry. Normally 30 days.

Currently 45 days

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks please bear with me he is not computer friendly and don't want to explain to him anything wrong.

As I understood when people come Thailand they get their passport stamped for 30 days that's all I remember.

A visa exempt entry is 45 days at this time that will be stamped in his passport. He can then apply for a 30 day extension if needs more time. 

Then he would apply for a 90 day non-o visa entry at immigration that is required to apply for the one year extension based upon marriage. Requirement for the visa are here. https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/06-edit_NON-O.pdf

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If he enters visa exempt it will be a 2 step process to get the non-o visa and then the one year extension at immigration. The visa will be 2000 baht and the extension 1900 baht. He will have to show financial proof for both of them but for the visa the 400k baht will only need to be in the bank on the day he applies.

He says he doesn't mind 2 step process he has money in place, will he need any kind of insurance.?

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

He says he doesn't mind 2 step process he has money in place, will he need any kind of insurance.?

Only the $100,000 covid 19 insurance required to apply for a certificate of entry at the embassy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1