Five people killed after house collapses in Bangkok

Jonathan Fairfield

Screenshot 2021-04-03 at 18.37.29.png

Five people have died after a house collapsed in Bangkok on Saturday.

Fire crews and rescue workers were called to the property in Thawi Watthana at 6am following reports of a building on fire.

As firefighters were working to extinguish the blaze, other rescue workers went inside the property to try and rescue residents. It was during the rescue that the building collapsed.  

Daily News reported that five people had been killed, four of whom were rescue workers and one was the owner of the house, while seven others were injured.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration said the rescue workers were all volunteers from the Poh Tek Tung Foundation.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-03

• Sad 21
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Considering a lot of the fire fighter vehicles they use look straight out of a WW2 London Blitz movie I think the fire fighters in Thailand need a lot of respect

Just so happens, we had a small fire on the ground floor of a mid-rise closed hotel on our soi earlier this week in the early morning hours.

By the time I got outside to look, the BMA must have had 15 plus apparatus lined up single file down a long stretch of our soi. Ambulances, support vehicles, etc etc... all reasonably modern.

But only one of them was a traditional pumping fire engine type truck, and it wasn't a tall ladder truck, meaning not sure what they would have done if the fire had been on a high floor instead of on the ground floor.

Our soi in central BKK is relatively narrow (basically wide enough for one lane of thru traffic with cars parked on one side or the other of the street). So once all the fire/rescue equipment had arrived, not sure how any additional units would have been able to get to the hotel past the street blockade of equipment.

Fortunately, it was a relatively small fire of an unoccupied building with no injuries. But that's just because the hotel is closed due to COVID and a lack of business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Proper title - 4 fire rescue personnel killed in house fire....

Yes, even perfect.  And I would have immediately known what the story was actually about, rather than thinking another poorly built structure had collapsed and this time killed a family. 

Edited by oobar
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I haven't clicked this link, nor will I, but why on earth would you want to post a video of the moment five people died?

Your call. Maybe you wish to cover your eyes and not look at the photo in original post. It shows a building in which 5 people died.

The link goes to this: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=505054040659066

You're not going to watch it anyway. Original link was how WorkPoint News (Channel 23) shared their video on their official website. Obviously it does not show people being crushed. But it does show smoking building, a few people standing in front of it, who all run away from it when it starts falling, but it also shows where the building gave way and collapsed, and the speed of collapse shows why the 5 people died. They really stood no chance of getting out. They were probably killed instantly...

Thai news say that building had illegally added floors on the top. That would explain a lot. This video is something that would likely be used in lawsuit against those involved in adding floors illegally.

Another sad day for firefighters and rescuers. But maybe also a reminder to them of what can happen in a second, and worth sharing.

6 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I haven't clicked this link, nor will I, but why on earth would you want to post a video of the moment five people died?

I feel the same way whenever I see similar videos posted online, as if the prefaced warnings of graphic video somehow makes them OK. I have no interest in tragic videos of lives being lost. I've seen plenty in theaters. And I don't mean the movie/play kind.

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Considering a lot of the fire fighter vehicles they use look straight out of a WW2 London Blitz movie I think the fire fighters in Thailand need a lot of respect

Indeed they do... shame the government place more importance on having parked Aircraft carriers & submarines.

Not using the budget more wisely and saving peoples lives.

On 4/3/2021 at 6:40 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Five people have died after a house collapsed in Bangkok on Saturday.

Watched footage of this on the news Sunday... poor building building design played a large part in the structure failing..

While I agree heat has a contributing factor the single corner pillar with a wide lintel and little support for the upper floors meant this was an accident waiting to happen.

Architects must take into consideration risks, and not just build for as cheap as possible, by saving on materials.

12 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

So possibly people view it and learn lessons... building mistakes costs lives...

If one life in the future is saved then it's worth watching what/why/when it happened.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

So possibly people view it and learn lessons... building mistakes costs lives...

If one life in the future is saved then it's worth watching what/why/when it happened.

Yeah, so he was posting it for all the Thai structural engineers on the forum, got it.

On 4/4/2021 at 2:58 PM, davemos said:

My mate whos a fire fighter in Sydney nsw visited a station in Soi 26.He was surprised tha a lot of their equipment was better /newer than  Sydney 

I was a fire fighter previously. A lot of rural and suburban areas have very old and limited equipment. Our trucks were so old that the water systems needed to be manually primed..