Thailand’s leading virologist 'scary assessment' of new COVID wave

webfact

4 hours ago, rabas said:

Seems the Thai medical establishment is pushing back hard against the government, as they should.

Yes indeed, especially as the Minister for Health is a construction engineer with no formal University medical training!!

Sino-Thai Engineering & Construction Public Company Limited.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I also think its political suicide to cancel songkran. 

They keep shooting themselves in the foot, this time it's going to be in the head. No way people will roll over for this irresponsible, no, criminal, move.

Edited by unblocktheplanet
spelling

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This may be one of the first ‘announcements’ this Dr has made which I find completely agreeable - his points are all valid. 

The only outstanding question regarding the more contagious variants of SARS-CoV-2 is do more patients present more serious symptoms ?... i.e. do the variants result in more sever Covid-19, greater long term impact, higher fatality rates (per case) ?

Its more deadly.

15 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that with ten times more virus about, ten times less restriction then things would be 100 times worse.

Coupled with the new variant he said that this wave would be 170 times worse than last year. 

Sounds a bit simplistic, but I guess this is how the common people will understand the severity of the issue, and the actual impact (given exponential growth) probably would look even more grim than the number 170.