Retirement visa: renewing from your home country every year rather than in Thailand

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I think in your case they made an error.

It clearly states on the website, single entry TV only.

You have two chances that borders will re-open in order for you to make use of that Visa, Bob Hope and No Hope. If you intend to stay longer than 90 days you would have been better with the STV.

I think you don't know what you're talking about.

30 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If you intend to stay longer than 90 days you would have been better with the STV.

Thai Immigration and MFA have already started with phasing out the STV.

• STV's applied for are only valid until 30 September 2021;
  • When entering Thailand after 3 July 2021, you won't be able to extend your STV anymore:
  • When on an STV (or extension of it) that expires before 30 September 2021, you can only apply for an extension before the date of 30 September 2021.

As we are already April, you cannot get the full 9 months out of an STV anymore.

And it would be crazy to apply for an STV when you enter Thailand after 3 July, as it would be limited to 3 months only with no option to extend. 

So well possible that - in view of the above - MFA recently 'revived' the METV, although the CoE requirements do not yet mention that option.

STV regulations for extension dd March 2021.jpg

15 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Thai Immigration and MFA have already started with phasing out the STV.

• STV's applied for are only valid until 30 September 2021;
  • When entering Thailand after 3 July 2021, you won't be able to extend your STV anymore:
  • When on an STV (or extension of it) that expires before 30 September 2021, you can only apply for an extension before the date of 30 September 2021.

As we are already April, you cannot get the full 9 months out of an STV anymore.

And it would be crazy to apply for an STV when you enter Thailand after 3 July, as it would be limited to 3 months only with no option to extend. 

So well possible that - in view of the above - MFA recently 'revived' the METV, although the CoE requirements do not yet mention that option.

STV regulations for extension dd March 2021.jpg

I had the option to apply for this as well.

16 hours ago, onebir said:

Ah that's not too bad... Thanks (again) for giving the affordable insurance options some publicity!

With a bit of luck the Covid insurance requirement will be relaxed soon too (if only for the vaxxed).

I don't think the covid ins will ever be completely stopped, it is too much of a money earner for the insurance companies, and of course the "government" will get it's share.

The fact that there is a need for the foreign tourists to come back, mainly for the sake of employment for the Thai people, will not matter a jot to this unelected "PM".

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You hold the option to apply for a 60 day Covid extension, not a 90 day extension from an STV.

0r exit the Kingdom and come back with a fresh 6O day entry stamp with my 

'multiple entry tourist visa' ???? 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Bob4u said:

I think you don't know what you're talking about.

Quoting from the Thai Embassy website:

» Visa and Certificate of Entry procedures for Non-Thai nationals wishing to enter Thailand for Tourism purposes (thaiembdc.org)

1) Tourist visa exemption scheme

2) Tourist visa (single entry only)

3) Special Tourist Visa (STV)

Be interested to know what you paid for the Visa.

3 hours ago, darrenr said:

Hi everyone thanks for your replies. Yes I am trying to avoid the extension of stay as don’t want to keep money in a Thai bank account and have to renew the extension of stay at a Thai immigration.

just though I could get the retirement visa in Australia ( only need to show Australian bank statements ), then go to Thailand for 6months ( obviously 90 day reporting ), then return to Australia to work for 6 months , by that time,I would need  to submit a brand new application in Australia  for retirement before going back to Thailand 

basically I am always applying for a NEW retirement visa application every year in Australia and don’t have to deal with Thai immigration such as you would if you were applying for an extension. Probably more expensive , but less hassle and no requirement to show money in a Thai bank account.

If you really need to return to Australia it's the OA that's easier. That's what I'm going to do from the USA.

There's also a $200 fee each time in the USA to be aware of, and a fit to fly medical appointment, don't know if that applies to you.

Seems like you just change one hassle for another. Pick your poison.

30 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Quoting from the Thai Embassy website:

» Visa and Certificate of Entry procedures for Non-Thai nationals wishing to enter Thailand for Tourism purposes (thaiembdc.org)

1) Tourist visa exemption scheme

2) Tourist visa (single entry only)

3) Special Tourist Visa (STV)

Be interested to know what you paid for the Visa.

Proof is in the pudding.

IMG_7153.jpg

4 hours ago, Bob4u said:

Things may change in 90 days.

Be positive and good things happen.

Hi Bob,

You are obviously betting on relaxed border entries in approx 2-3 months allowing you to do a border-run with your METV and get another 2 months permission to stay.  But I would be highly surprised if border restrictions would be loosened by then, so unfortunately you might be in for some trouble later on.

Spilled milk at this moment, but a better option for you would have been a VisaExempt entry or applying for the 60-day SETV, as both of these can be extended for 30 days and after that you could make use of 60-day covid extensions to extend your stay (as it is expected that those 60-day covid extensions will only be stopped when borders are open again).

But there is a real risk now that you will not be allowed to apply for a 60-day covid extension, as your METV is valid for 6 months....

Let's hope for you that with the phasing-out of the STV, that Thai Immigration would allow 60-day METV extensions in-country (or allow 60-day covid-extensions for non-expired METV) after you used up your 30-day extension at the end of your 2-month permission to stay. 

On 4/10/2021 at 10:19 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Correct, but when they start again i would do that rather than a retirement visa ext and the faffing around it just for 6 months

Bad idea to be honest as Thai immigration HATES METV. Yes it will be re-indroduced, but he will most probably gets problems after his 3rd one. Thai immigration will suggest him to apply for the “right visa”, he may get grilled if he enters through the wrong airports and even potentially denied entry in the worst case.

Believe me, after 9 !!! METV before Covid, I could write a book about it incl problems/ loopholes etc.????

Edited by SpanishExpat

14 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

Bad idea to be honest as Thai immigration HATES METV. Yes it will be re-indroduced, but he will most probably gets problems after his 3rd one. Thai immigration will suggest him to apply for the “right visa”, he may get grilled if he enters through the wrong airports and even potentially denied entry in the worst case.

Believe me, after 9 !!! METV before Covid, I could write a book about it incl problems/ loopholes etc.????

Yeah maybe the 9 consecutive ones didn't help your situation.

I've used them before and gotten up to 9 months in Thailand each time w/o any issues.

The situation is very different now, we can all agree but this option is there for people applying for a single entry.

12 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Bob,

You are obviously betting on relaxed border entries in approx 2-3 months allowing you to do a border-run with your METV and get another 2 months permission to stay.  But I would be highly surprised if border restrictions would be loosened by then, so unfortunately you might be in for some trouble later on.

Spilled milk at this moment, but a better option for you would have been a VisaExempt entry or applying for the 60-day SETV, as both of these can be extended for 30 days and after that you could make use of 60-day covid extensions to extend your stay (as it is expected that those 60-day covid extensions will only be stopped when borders are open again).

But there is a real risk now that you will not be allowed to apply for a 60-day covid extension, as your METV is valid for 6 months....

Let's hope for you that with the phasing-out of the STV, that Thai Immigration would allow 60-day METV extensions in-country (or allow 60-day covid-extensions for non-expired METV) after you used up your 30-day extension at the end of your 2-month permission to stay. 

OK, thanks for worrying.

2 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

i did many METVs also no problems, but i hear they were stopping people but with 6 months here 6 months Oz should be fine. I was doing almost a year on METVs 

8 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

Do you vet the officer before you just get in line like a sheep?

There's a lot you can tell about someone by observing them for even a minute.

Some people think it's stupid, but it actually works pretty good anywhere in life when you get good at it.

If there's only one line it does not work.

Some people even pick the officer or situation that has a problem. Must be an unconscious thing.

Edited by DerbyDan