Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

On 6/23/2017 at 10:52 AM, Arkady said:

Probably anywhere between 2 and 12 months would be a realistic answer but the current government, unlike many of its predecessors, doesn't like unreasonable delays.  The process for posting orders in the Royal Gazette is a bit hard to fathom.  Usually they are gazetted about a month after the date the order is signed but sometimes it takes a couple of months or more.  I have seen a citizenship announcement that was published a full five months after it was signed.

Thanks for this response some time ago. I saw the recent batch of RTG postings. Unfortunately, I was not on the list notwithstanding the fact I did my MOI interview prior to that of one of the prior posters who mentioned he/she has been published in the recent RTG batch. Question: could my publication come simply any time now? I guess what is a bit unnerving is the thought that the RTG or MOI or whoever has to cooperate in order for the publication to occur takes the attitude that: "we have done our publication for this quarter/semester/year" and simply lets the the file sit somewhere with no activity. Any insight into how the RTG publication works would be very enlightening and much appreciated (by anyone with any insight).   

• Like 1

I don't think the Gazette has a mind of its own in this regard. It simply prints whatever is signed off on and forwarded for publication by the Prime Minister's office. Sometimes the announcement is one or two names (like in my case), or a handful of names; other times, like last week, it's a long list of names. Don't get discouraged; it could come any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Last time I went to Bkk to submit my docs, I was a couple short.

The SB said that I or my wife could go back and get the docs checked. My wife later spoke to them and they said she could go down and apply by herself, i.e make the application. This seems odd to me but she's going down this week to try. She's adamant that she submits them then I make an appointment with the head of SB.

So fingers crossed, they'll accept them, all 6 years of tax receipts, as one was a month late. 

Has anyone heard of a Thai wife being able to make the application for the husband?

I expect she's got something wrong :)

2 minutes ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

I don't think the Gazette has a mind of its own in this regard. It simply prints whatever is signed off on and forwarded for publication by the Prime Minister's office. Sometimes the announcement is one or two names (like in my case), or a handful of names; other times, like last week, it's a long list of names. Don't get discouraged; it could come any time.

Thanks for the insight, I was unaware that sometimes a couple names are posted. That puts things in better perspective.

Frankly this is the only part of the overall process that is rather frustratingly opaque (at least to me). The officer I have been dealing with at SB gave me the impression that post-oath they send everything directly over to the RTG, but it sounds like it goes to the PM's office and thereafter goes to RTG, am I correct in my understanding there? I had thought that the PM's office had already done their thing with the case and that occurred prior to His Majesty's endorsement. I often find that by understanding the "why" behind institutional protocols it makes it easier to cope with seeming delay. 

I appreciate your encouragement, but having been here a rather long time and having dealt with the government frequently, I am not overly discouraged. I am just looking to understand the mechanism better. 

• Like 2

It's my understanding that the RTG is under the PM's office, and that announcements have to be signed off on by the PM or a deputy PM in order to be published. My own announcement was signed off on by the loathsome Suthep, so I guess he was good for something.

• Like 1

It's my understanding that the RTG is under the PM's office, and that announcements have to be signed off on by the PM or a deputy PM in order to be published. My own announcement was signed off on by the loathsome Suthep, so I guess he was good for something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Last time I went to Bkk to submit my docs, I was a couple short.

The SB said that I or my wife could go back and get the docs checked. My wife later spoke to them and they said she could go down and apply by herself, i.e make the application. This seems odd to me but she's going down this week to try. She's adamant that she submits them then I make an appointment with the head of SB.

So fingers crossed, they'll accept them, all 6 years of tax receipts, as one was a month late. 

Has anyone heard of a Thai wife being able to make the application for the husband?

I expect she's got something wrong :)

It was a little confusing for me a couple of months ago right before I signed my application at SB.  They told me that anyone could bring the documents (I was missing a couple documents too when I attempted my first time).  However, they will call you to schedule an interview at which time you must be present (and your wife if you are applying based on marriage to a Thai).  In my case they also told me that I needed to bring witnesses with me at the appointed time, but there seems to be some leeway on this point. 

I think in this case, they are telling you that your wife can bring the remaining documents, but they will call you back a later time to actually make the application and interview.  For me it was approximately 2 weeks between having all the paperwork in order and actually interviewing, thumb printing, and application signing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khongaeng said:

It was a little confusing for me a couple of months ago right before I signed my application at SB.  They told me that anyone could bring the documents (I was missing a couple documents too when I attempted my first time).  However, they will call you to schedule an interview at which time you must be present (and your wife if you are applying based on marriage to a Thai).  In my case they also told me that I needed to bring witnesses with me at the appointed time, but there seems to be some leeway on this point. 

I think in this case, they are telling you that your wife can bring the remaining documents, but they will call you back a later time to actually make the application and interview.  For me it was approximately 2 weeks between having all the paperwork in order and actually interviewing, thumb printing, and application signing.  

Thanks, that's what I am expecting. Well, hopefully.

On 16 Сентябрь 2017 г. at 6:02 PM, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps in the next batch.

Yeah...I may only keep my fingers crossed.

The only thing I am confused now. How the *** someone who applied years AFTER me - get their apps and Thai IDs already confirmed and issied? Right in this thread I can see several persons with the citizenship confirmed in 3...4 years, however for me it is almost 7 and not yet. This is driving me mad, as by logic I must be done with this all years ago. :(

Is there any real queue (as far as westerners understand that), or some kind of ranfom picking of the applications??

Well they showed an example to us the last ime we were there and the example's wife had smaller photos -  they told her 1.5 ". Now they say 2". My bank letter is out of date now, so I need another. Also the letter from my work is out of date. Also, I have to translate a my donations to the Rotary club over many years. They could have told me that the last time.

However, don't have to go back, just send them by post.

2 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

My bank letter is out of date now, so I need another. Also the letter from my work is out of date.

May I ask who told you that and how old are your documents? On my side I prepared my documents in March-April plus some rework in May-June, but I was only asked to come to sign the application in early September. Which means most of my documents are now 5-6 months old and nobody at SB told me there's a problem with that. 

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey
typo, content
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

May I ask who told you that and how old are your documents? On my side I prepared my documents in March-April plus some rework in May-June, but I was only asked to come to sign the application in early September. Which means most of my documents are now 5-6 months old and nobody at SB told me there's a problem with that. 

I'll have to check with my wife as she presented them. They are about 3 months max old. Someone at the SB told her. 

1 hour ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I'll have to check with my wife as she presented them. They are about 3 months max old. Someone at the SB told her. 

I think my documents were all less than 3 months old when my set was first complete, so perhaps this is all that matters? anyway, I'll make sure everything is ok at my next visit to SB.

I had the big meeting in BOPA, Lumluka this year. Tried calling BOPA for an update last week they mentioned by next month they will publish in RG (I am not sure though!).

I planned to have a break for 3-4 months by quitting my present job. Will this gap in work permit will impact the thai citizenship once its published in RG? 

Any advice or thoughts appreciated :)

Have you done the oath yet as it's not published in the RG until after the oath? No one has checked my work permit since the NIA/Special Branch stage. My name was published in the RG this month and I made sure I always had a work permit throughout the process. I think in theory you should continue to work just in case someone checks. For the sake of a few months or even a year its probably worthwhile remaining in your current job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sathuluv said:

I had the big meeting in BOPA, Lumluka this year. Tried calling BOPA for an update last week they mentioned by next month they will publish in RG (I am not sure though!).

I planned to have a break for 3-4 months by quitting my present job. Will this gap in work permit will impact the thai citizenship once its published in RG? 

Any advice or thoughts appreciated :)

I agree with Big Guns that it's not worth the risk.  Although it is rare to have your documents checked again after the MoI interview, it can happen.  Examples could be, if someone reviewing your file before or after the internal big committee raises a query about something. I know of at least one case where this has happened.  Another situation could be, if there is a change of interior minister and the new knocks everyone back for re-checking.  This happened during Thaksin's premiership when Purachai was made interior minister.  A friend who got caught up in this told me it delayed his application by three years.    

• Like 1

I remember reading on these forums that after being married for 3 years one was able apply for thai citizenship with no need for getting permanent residency first, is that true? And then how long does this citizenship application process currently last for those who have been married 3+ years?

Asking for someone else :smile:

(isn't there a post somewhere on this forum where you can get info on all the current visa options?)

7 minutes ago, Asernume said:

I remember reading on these forums that after being married for 3 years one was able apply for thai citizenship with no need for getting permanent residency first, is that true? And then how long does this citizenship application process currently last for those who have been married 3+ years?

Asking for someone else :smile:

(isn't there a post somewhere on this forum where you can get info on all the current visa options?)

That's true as long as you have 3 years tax returns and qualify with enough points.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Asernume said:

Is that link from 2004 still right on everything? : https://www.phuketgazette.net/issues-answers/asked/thai-citizenship-procedure

No it is not correct. Things have changed plus some of the info was incorrect then.

This is the most recent list of requirements. Guidelines and documents required for application for Thai citizenship by naturalization

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No it is not correct. Things have changed plus some of the info was incorrect then.

This is the most recent list of requirements. Guidelines and documents required for application for Thai citizenship by naturalization

So that means it is now a requirement to renounce your previous nationality? No more dual nationality allowed?

edit : do you have a link to appendix A?

Edited by Asernume

When I was applying the SB officer showed me a naturalisation certificate on her desk for a Korean guy, just to let me see what I would get eventually.  When she looked more closely at the file, she noticed that the poor guy had applied 11 years earlier and quickly added that such a long wait was very unusual.  The current government has forced the pace of the process under its "Good guys in, bad guys out policy".   Three years which was virtually unheard of before the coup is now not unusual. When and if there is a reversion to a political government, expect things to slide back to the disgraceful state there were in before the coup when applications dropped into a black hole at the MoI for years without trace.  My own pre-coup wait was five years, which was considered quite fast at that point.

Anyone interested and already qualified is advised to apply without delay.