Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Have any foreign men been granted Thai citizenship this year? There have been a number of foreign women who have been given Thai citizenship this year. The latest news I got from my lawyer is that she expects my name to be in the Royal Gazette in October (I did the oath in May).

2 hours ago, Big Guns said:

Have any foreign men been granted Thai citizenship this year? There have been a number of foreign women who have been given Thai citizenship this year. The latest news I got from my lawyer is that she expects my name to be in the Royal Gazette in October (I did the oath in May).

No males announced in the RG so far this year, as far as I can see but a reasonable batch of women with Thai husbands approved under Section 9 (about 80 at a rough glance).  Last year it looked like about 170 people were approved for naturalisation under Section 10, which included a sizeable batch in December.  The naturalisation approvals are mainly males but include some women who usually apply along with their husbands or fathers.  

I would guess your lawyer is right and a new batch of Section 10 announcements should be coming soon.  Fingers crossed.

If members want to search for citizenship announcements, go into the RG website search page http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/RKJ/announce/search.jsp.  Paste ได้สัญชาติไทย (obtained Thai nationality) into the top search field.  Click on the command above that that says เริ่มการค้นหา ( start search) above that.  Go to the last page of announcements which should be the most the recent ones.  Most of the announcements will be what you are looking for but there will also be some announcements of large batches of stateless persons getting citizenship, recognisable from the fact that most already have Thai names and have addresses in border provinces, such as Tak, Trat and Ranong.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Arkady said:

No males announced in the RG so far this year, as far as I can see but a reasonable batch of women with Thai husbands approved under Section 9 (about 80 at a rough glance).  Last year it looked like about 170 people were approved for naturalisation under Section 10, which included a sizeable batch in December.  The naturalisation approvals are mainly males but include some women who usually apply along with their husbands or fathers.  

I would guess your lawyer is right and a new batch of Section 10 announcements should be coming soon.  Fingers crossed.

If members want to search for citizenship announcements, go into the RG website search page http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/RKJ/announce/search.jsp.  Paste ได้สัญชาติไทย (obtained Thai nationality) into the top search field.  Click on the command above that that says เริ่มการค้นหา ( start search) above that.  Go to the last page of announcements which should be the most the recent ones.  Most of the announcements will be what you are looking for but there will also be some announcements of large batches of stateless persons getting citizenship, recognisable from the fact that most already have Thai names and have addresses in border provinces, such as Tak, Trat and Ranong.

Are you sure it's possible for foreign women to apply along with their foreign husbands for citizenship? Last time I checked with SB, they informed that only minor childs of a citizenship applicant can apply together with the applicant. The wife is not eligible to apply together with the applicant. Once the applicant gets thai citizenship, then the wife can apply on the basis of having a thai husband.

1 hour ago, sas_cars said:

Are you sure it's possible for foreign women to apply along with their foreign husbands for citizenship? Last time I checked with SB, they informed that only minor childs of a citizenship applicant can apply together with the applicant. The wife is not eligible to apply together with the applicant. Once the applicant gets thai citizenship, then the wife can apply on the basis of having a thai husband.

As far as I know that is correct.  There are definitely husbands and wives who apply together (there was one such Chinese couple in my interview batch at the MoI) but they must both be working and have PR. The wife could wait and apply later on the basis of her husband but I suppose some are happy to go through it all together and get it over with. I have seen several announcements in the RG of people who were obviously husband and wife, rather than father and daughter, going by the "Nang" title, rather than "Nangsao".   A lot of the Asian applicants are also running their own businesses which makes it easier to maintain work permits.   Oddly enough I can't  ever recall seeing an announcement of a woman getting Thai nationality on her own merits without applying at the same time as her husband.  I suppose there must be cases though.  I did know a single Swiss lady who was born in Thailand (before 1971) and spent two years claiming her Thai nationality as a birthright, overcoming all the obstacles that were thrown in her path.     

As far as I know that is correct.  There are definitely husbands and wives who apply together (there was one such Chinese couple in my interview batch at the MoI) but they must both be working and have PR. The wife could wait and apply later on the basis of her husband but I suppose some are happy to go through it all together and get it over with. I have seen several announcements in the RG of people who were obviously husband and wife, rather than father and daughter, going by the "Nang" title, rather than "Nangsao".   A lot of the Asian applicants are also running their own businesses which makes it easier to maintain work permits.   Oddly enough I can't  ever recall seeing an announcement of a woman getting Thai nationality on her own merits without applying at the same time as her husband.  I suppose there must be cases though.  I did know a single Swiss lady who was born in Thailand (before 1971) and spent two years claiming her Thai nationality as a birthright, overcoming all the obstacles that were thrown in her path.     

Yeah if they both work and have PR, in such case can apply together. But if the wife is a dependent on husband applicant, then can't apply together.

18 hours ago, Arkady said:

Thanks for the link to the Royal Gazette, much appreciated. So, once we have taken the oath, we need to check every day whether our name is mentioned?

11 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Thanks for the link to the Royal Gazette, much appreciated. So, once we have taken the oath, we need to check every day whether our name is mentioned?

Normally takes at least 2 or 3 months after the oath.  If you have a good relationship with your case officer at SB, he or she will give you a heads up when the announcement is published.  I was checking the RG about once a week and spotted mine a couple of days before SB called.  

12 hours ago, Arkady said:

Normally takes at least 2 or 3 months after the oath.  If you have a good relationship with your case officer at SB, he or she will give you a heads up when the announcement is published.  I was checking the RG about once a week and spotted mine a couple of days before SB called.  

Well noted, thanks.

I'm trying to get my qualifications translated.

The reply from one of the ones recommended by the US Embassy 

Because this certificate is from abroad.   It can not be certified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand.   Whether it is public school or private school, those case must be schools in Thailand.

In order to be able to, those documents are needed to be certified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs in your country.   Then get approved by Thai embassy in your country.   When the documents are approved by Thai embassy in your country, then surely it can be approved by Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand.

This seems wrong to me. How did other translate their certificates, degrees?

My understanding was you need the diploma translated and stamped by the translation company. You also need a affidavit from the us embassy stating you completed your education. I thought it was the affidavit that needed translation and the moi stamp.

I could be wrong as my thai is not great

Edited by yankee99
  • Like 1

On my side, I had my university degree translated to Thai language (by a translator which is accredited by my embassy) then I brought the copy with the translation to my embassy, they had a look at my original and legalized the signature of the translator. The next day I brought the two-page document to the legalization division in Chaeng Wattana where they legalized the signature coming from my embassy.

10 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

On my side, I had my university degree translated to Thai language (by a translator which is accredited by my embassy) then I brought the copy with the translation to my embassy, they had a look at my original and legalized the signature of the translator. The next day I brought the two-page document to the legalization division in Chaeng Wattana where they legalized the signature coming from my embassy.

Interesting, thanks. The UK embassy do this. 

Not sure what I'll do. one officer at the SB said to go to the embasy and another one said just go to a translation shop. One translation shop said they can't do it, while another one said they can take it to the MOFA, which now I don't believe.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Not sure what I'll do. one officer at the SB said to go to the embasy and another one said just go to a translation shop. One translation shop said they can't do it, while another one said they can take it to the MOFA, which now I don't believe.

US doesn't appear to offer that service.

"

• Authentication of Vital Records, Academic, Commercial or Other Credentials Issued in the U.S.
    U.S. Consular officers are not empowered to authenticate public documents issued in the United States. Such documents include vital records (birth, marriage, death, and divorce), as well as academic, commercial, or other credentials. Consular officers do not have access to the records of the issuing office or the seal of the custodian of these records.
    For more information on Authentication of Documents, Apostilles, or Copies of Birth, Death, Marriage, or Divorce Records, please consult the Department of State Travel site.
  • Certification of True Copies of Documents
    We often get requests to certify true copies of educational transcripts or diplomas, bank statements, court documents, or other such official records. Unfortunately, our offices cannot ordinarily provide certified true copies of documents. Such requests should usually be addressed to the office which issued the document in question. For example, certified true copies of academic records should be requested from the registrar of the institution that originally issued them"

On 11/08/2017 at 2:58 PM, skyaslimit said:

I just downloaded the RD app. from Google Play which allows you to pay taxes online,you need to register to-be able to use it, I registered myself but it's asking for a laser ID? Any ideas?

Laser ID are the numbers printed on the back of your ID card. 

2 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Sorry, I meant to say UK Embassy DOESN"T do this.

3 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Sorry, I meant to say UK Embassy DOESN"T do this.

I think very few Western embassies will legalise anything to do with educational certificates these days.  There are too many fake ones around and no way for them to know which are which.  Legalising the signature of the translator sounds pointless but, if an  embassy will do this, you are lucky.  

Sounds like SB has taken from tips from Immigration lately as to how to make things more difficult.  I think I only needed the certified translation of educational certificates without any notarisation or legalisation when I applied for citizenship (and PR).  Immigration has been asking for this sort of thing from PR applicants for some time now.  In many cases the only way to get it done has been to get your qualification certified by the issuing institution, then have that notarised by a Thai embassy in that country, as an embassy legalisation is a prerequisite for getting a translation legalised by the MoFA and Thai embassies are apparently willing to do it for a fee.  I know people who have come up against this when they have a time constraint to get PR applications in.  The other one that causes problems with PR is criminal record from home country, not to mention DNA testing of children.  When I applied for PR none of this was required.

SB doesn't sound quite as clear cut and as helpful as it used to be.  Perhaps there have been some personnel changes there for the worse. 

• Like 1

When I applied, I translated my certificates myself then took the translations down to a translators office and had them affix their official stamp after confirming the translation was accurate. Saved a bit of money. No authentication required by either embassy or Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Seems things are getting harder.  

• Like 1

The Brit embassy has a list of things they are allowed to certify copies of, including things like passports and birth certificates.  They once certified copies of the memorandum and articles of a British Virgin Islands company for me but refused to legalise my signature on a document to do with a lease to be filed with the UK Land Office.  They said Land Office documents had been removed from the list of things they were allowed to do which surprised me, since it is a British government department. 

I have given up going there to try to get things certified or legalised, since being turned down for the Land Office document, unless embassy certification is an absolute requirement.  Thai lawyers can now do notarisation according to Lawyers Association of Thailand rules, which is acceptable for most non-government things, even though there is no public notary law in Thailand.  Most are also a lot cheaper than embassies and can send things by messenger.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

could someone suggest me what is the expected (usual) timeline to get the things moving after the interview @MOI?

Had the interview back to this February, and yet it seems that nothing moving since then. Any calls to MOI end up with "You have passed and the documents are still in processing, call back next month"....it takes them half a year already. No one is able to give any estimations up there!!

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, thunder18 said:

Hi,

could someone suggest me what is the expected (usual) timeline to get the things moving after the interview @MOI?

Had the interview back to this February, and yet it seems that nothing moving since then. Any calls to MOI end up with "You have passed and the documents are still in processing, call back next month"....it takes them half a year already. No one is able to give any estimations up there!!

Thanks.

Sometimes a friendly visit to MOI helps. I just went there to chat. Everyone was very nice. I recieved mine about a month later. 

You should dress and speak nicely though. More flies with honey. 

Thanks.

What is the exact roadmap and APPROX timeline for the process after the interview? Wait my name to be printed in RG (how long usually it is taking for this step?), then SB call me for oath (in how long after ptinting), then aphur....? I am completely lacking of this info. Yes I did asked MOI for this however their own explanations fail to meet their deadlines. As per them - I shall already be given thai ID, as their "it is now fast - and longest process will take not more than 6 monts after interview"...yeah, right...and no one giving any actiual info.

As per them at the moment (called just today) - "the Minister is signing your app, pls call back later". Later and later, all the time is same answer. It is my 7th year since I applied! :sorry:

18 minutes ago, thunder18 said:

Thanks.

What is the exact roadmap and APPROX timeline for the process after the interview? Wait my name to be printed in RG (how long usually it is taking for this step?), then SB call me for oath (in how long after ptinting), then aphur....? I am completely lacking of this info. Yes I did asked MOI for this however their own explanations fail to meet their deadlines. As per them - I shall already be given thai ID, as their "it is now fast - and longest process will take not more than 6 monts after interview"...yeah, right...and no one giving any actiual info.

As per them at the moment (called just today) - "the Minister is signing your app, pls call back later". Later and later, all the time is same answer. It is my 7th year since I applied! :sorry:

You know as hard as it is. It's really important to stay relaxed and calm. If you have been applied since 7 years, then you know the Thai way well. Calm kiss arse, I understand I am in sloths village, gets results. 

Stressed when am I going to get it, what's going on, I can't stand it anymore, encourages super sloth status to your application. 

If you can't speak Thai well, then take a nice speaking translater and enquire again in person. 

In my opinion, as soon as they hang up the phone, they have forgotten about you. 

But you must be a living breathing walking example of  calmness and respect. Or you will most certainly wait another 7 years. 

Repeat after me. 

Calm, I am calm, I am not fighting, I am listening. Yes sir, no sir. I am respectful and I do not make trouble. 

Calm. 

You feel like this ???

You act like this ☺????

• Like 2

Sloths village...yeah...:saai:

It is no problem to wait - however it is really hard to wait for unknown time. It can be news coming tomorrow, after tomorrow...or next 7 years (....or never). That is really pissing me off.

Just curious if they have any fixed timelines to process such things (just like in many other countries)? It is all govt services zone and there is the official fee paid - and there shall be some rules for them to process the applications....seems not. It will be done when it will be done© TIT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thunder18 said:

Thanks.

What is the exact roadmap and APPROX timeline for the process after the interview? Wait my name to be printed in RG (how long usually it is taking for this step?), then SB call me for oath (in how long after ptinting), then aphur....? I am completely lacking of this info. Yes I did asked MOI for this however their own explanations fail to meet their deadlines.

A couple of pages back in this thread, several members of the January 2016 batch wrote about their timelines.

Anyways, here's my timeline. MOI Interview to MOI approval took 1 year 5 months. After that it took 2 months to get approval of H.M. The King. 2 months later I did the Oath of Allegiance. Almost 4 months later my name was published in the Royal Gazette. 3 weeks later I picked up my Naturalisation Certificate. Obtained my Thai ID at the 1st of March 2016.

• Like 1