Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

11 hours ago, JayLeno said:

Guys. Should I wait for the 3 years timeframe (just got married) or can I introduce my request asap? I see the entire process takes at least 5 years 

Yes, But go ahead and get the yellow book process started.  I've heard that it could take as long as a year (mine took 6 months). If you have a baby sometime in the next 3 years then as soon as your baby is born you can apply (I highly recommend not rushing having children for the sole purpose of applying for Thai citizenship, though 😉)

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, qualtrough said:

Immigrations fees/laws/requirements can change. You could wake up one day to find out that your retirement or marriage visa costs twice what it did the other day.

Or that a significant additional requirement has been imposed on it - as in the case of mandatory health insurance which was abruptly slapped on non-OA visa holders past and present a few years ago.

Edited by OJAS

On 9/6/2024 at 12:03 AM, khongaeng said:

Yes, But go ahead and get the yellow book process started.  I've heard that it could take as long as a year (mine took 6 months). If you have a baby sometime in the next 3 years then as soon as your baby is born you can apply (I highly recommend not rushing having children for the sole purpose of applying for Thai citizenship, though 😉)

The yellow book process is extremely fast an easy provided you have an owner of a property who will let you register at their address.

The most painful part is taking your passport to your embassy to get a certified copy and then taking it for an official and certified Thai translation. The certified Thai translation can be done using an online service and they will mail you the originals in 3 working days. Very painless now.

Once the documents are submitted at the District office the yellow book and pink ID card are done immediately.

My whole process took just a few days to complete.

Edited by Marcati
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 5:45 PM, GarryP said:

The pink card must be relatively new as I never had one when I applied.  

I don't think you need a pink card to apply.  Some going back a year or so offered copies of his pink card and they refused to take it.  As far as a I know it it something that district offices are obliged to issue under the Civil Registration Act but there is no law saying foreigners have to have one.

On 9/1/2024 at 10:14 AM, saakura said:

Thank you and yes, the news is correct. On 29th Aug, I got a call from SB asking if I still remember having applied for citizenship and if I could attend the MOI committee meeting the next morning. He further asked me if I was still working at the same job and staying in the same residence. An official invitation was sent by email (attached here) asking to carry original PR, WP, Thabien Baan and PP.

Upon reaching next morning, they only asked for a copy of my WP and tax submissions for 2023 (which I did not have and explained that it was not mentioned in the letter. They accepted to receive it by email but no mention of it was made again and I did not ask). The interview itself lasted about 7 minutes with very general banter about work, family, hobbies, food etc. Thank you for all the support and I will update any further developments.

51049.jpg

Excellent news that they have resumed interviews at long last. 

The bad news is they are asking for tax returns and WPs at the meeting. That will sink people who have ceased working before the interview.  That has always been a significant risk.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

Excellent news that they have resumed interviews at long last. 

The bad news is they are asking for tax returns and WPs at the meeting. That will sink people who have ceased working before the interview.  That has always been a significant risk.

They asked for the WP, but we don't know what would happen if you say you have retired in the meantime. After all, the process is taking very long. Is there a regulation stating that you have to have a WP during the whole process, including oath and finally picking up the result? Or until when? I would hope the regulation - when scrutinised - should say that you have to have one at time of application.

13 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Yes its a regulation, its mentioned in the Nationality that the Candidate "must have an occupation"

Summary here -

Under a 2008 amendment, males married to Thai females are now exempted from the requirement to have permanent residence and knowledge of Thai but not from the requirement to have an occupation in Thailand. In order to qualify for the exemption, men with Thai wives must have been legally married for 3 years (1 year if they have a child together).

In addition to the qualifications specified in the Act, current ministerial guidelines require the following. You must show evidence that you have a job in Thailand paying a salary of at least 80,000 baht a month (40,000 if married to a Thai) along with tax receipts going back 3 complete calendar years. You need to present a valid work permit and originals or copies of expired work permits, if you have changed jobs within the period. You should be in a house registration book (blue TR14, if a permanent resident, otherwise a yellow TR13). 

I have no doubt about that, I'd be interested to see the original, so I can check whether this applies at time of application or through the whole process until citizenship is granted.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

if it takes 10 years to be granted citizenship and I lose my job in the meanwhile my application goes up in smoke? bummer

To find that out is why I am trying to find the original wording in Thai, not a summary in English.

I do not have the original Thai language text, so I am unable to oblige you in that regard.  The cynic in me can't help but suspect that whatever it does say in Thai it is likely to be ambiguous leaving much to interpretation.  I may be pleasantly surprised on this occasion, but I will reserve judgement.

2 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

if it takes 10 years to be granted citizenship and I lose my job in the meanwhile my application goes up in smoke? bummer

it can be a lot quicker than 10 years to be granted citizenship 

On 9/11/2024 at 8:46 PM, qualtrough said:

I am mystified at the people who apparently live here long term and for whatever reason can't find  any benefit to obtaining citizenship. I suspect it is due to  either lack of imagination, sour grapes, or a combination of the two.

I think for many if not most it's the problem that you would have to surrender your current citizenship as dual citizenship is not permitted in a vast amount of countries unless obtained by birth.

There are practical benefits, but they are limited depending on your financial situation. As is, people who have very little money it's rather useless because buying property is probably not in the cards. If you have a lot of money then you get most of what you want anyway unless you insist on having property in your name.

Some people I know did it for fun as a pet project.

On 9/17/2024 at 5:15 PM, onthemoon said:

They asked for the WP, but we don't know what would happen if you say you have retired in the meantime. After all, the process is taking very long. Is there a regulation stating that you have to have a WP during the whole process, including oath and finally picking up the result? Or until when? I would hope the regulation - when scrutinised - should say that you have to have one at time of application.

If you go to the interview and tell them, or they somehow find out, that you have retired since you applied, that will be the end of your citizenship application.  It would also be the end, if they found out you had been unemployed for a bit, since you applied, and were back in work but with a gap in your WP. I know this for a fact because I had the experience of sitting down at the MOI with the head of the nationality section as she thumbed through my old and new WPs to check there was no gap. When she had finished, she said, "I am so glad that was all in order, Khun Arkady, because, if I had found a discrepancy, I would have regretfully had to reject your application."

The problem is that the Act requires you to have an occupation and they interpret this as an ongoing requirement until your approval is published in the RG.  However, there are unlikely to be checks after the interview, Even at the oath swearing SB has not historically been strict on WPs, although they do ask for copies and maybe the original.   In that kind of situation best to say the WP is with your HR dept because the are changing the name of the company (actually happened to me) or something.

The reason SB give for the strictness over remaining in employment is because the requirement for an occupation is in the Nationality Act. Yes the length of time you have to wait for an interview these days makes it seem unfair but this is Thailand and it looks like they are getting stricter in enforcing this than in the past. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, onthemoon said:

I have no doubt about that, I'd be interested to see the original, so I can check whether this applies at time of application or through the whole process until citizenship is granted.

When I was applying SB showed me a Korean guy's naturalisation certificate that was about to be presented and I asked how it took.  She had a quick look in the file and said "11 years" with some embarrassment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arkady said:

In that kind of situation best to say the WP is with your HR dept because they are changing the name of the company (actually happened to me) or something.

Do some people still have paper booklets for WP? I have only a digital WP on my mobile since (I think) 2017!

PS: Sorry, I am only quoting a few lines from the original post.

2 hours ago, Arkady said:

The problem is that the Act requires you to have an occupation and they interpret this as an ongoing requirement until your approval is published in the RG

@onthemoon wants the real Thai nationality act in Thai language

10 hours ago, Arkady said:

If you go to the interview and tell them, or they somehow find out, that you have retired since you applied, that will be the end of your citizenship application.  It would also be the end, if they found out you had been unemployed for a bit, since you applied, and were back in work but with a gap in your WP. I know this for a fact because I had the experience of sitting down at the MOI with the head of the nationality section as she thumbed through my old and new WPs to check there was no gap. When she had finished, she said, "I am so glad that was all in order, Khun Arkady, because, if I had found a discrepancy, I would have regretfully had to reject your application."

The problem is that the Act requires you to have an occupation and they interpret this as an ongoing requirement until your approval is published in the RG.  However, there are unlikely to be checks after the interview, Even at the oath swearing SB has not historically been strict on WPs, although they do ask for copies and maybe the original.   In that kind of situation best to say the WP is with your HR dept because the are changing the name of the company (actually happened to me) or something.

The reason SB give for the strictness over remaining in employment is because the requirement for an occupation is in the Nationality Act. Yes the length of time you have to wait for an interview these days makes it seem unfair but this is Thailand and it looks like they are getting stricter in enforcing this than in the past. 

Oh, I see. Thanks for sharing your experience.

8 hours ago, DrJoy said:

@onthemoon wants the real Thai nationality act in Thai language

It would be great to read it, as I have seen that the practice of government officials is often their interpretation and not what the law actually says. I hope I won't need to insist (I still have a few years until retirement), but I would like to know what the legal situation is.

8 hours ago, saakura said:

Do some people still have paper booklets for WP? I have only a digital WP on my mobile since (I think) 2017!

PS: Sorry, I am only quoting a few lines from the original post.

I have a book, never had a digital WP. I'm old-fashioned enough to prefer the book. 😉