Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

12 minutes ago, danielcondo said:

Don't see the problem here ? you can pick any religion you want, and if you didn't pick any religion then you can just swear allegiance to His Majesty the King and promise to be a law abiding citizen. 

when sb asked my wife about my religious beliefs atheist was not a option. 

7 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

So don't become a Thai citizen then - the choice is yours.  Thailand is a conservative country. They wouldn't be interested in anti-religious liberals trying to make a politically correct lefty atheist point anyway.  And you wouldn't make a good Thai citizen for the same reason. 

I'm Church of England. I don't know a single member who actually believes in God

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I'm Church of England. I don't know a single member who actually believes in God

The church of England isn't religious anymore, that's why. Churches and cathedrals are now merely retail outlets and museums - Norwich cathedral, for example, just installed a helter skelter in its thousand year-old knave - that embarrassment of an archbishop Welby was put there by his marxist Blairite paymasters to manage the decline. 

Edited by dbrenn
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dbrenn said:

They wouldn't be interested in anti-religious liberals trying to make a politically correct lefty atheist point anyway.

And you wouldn't make a good Thai citizen for the same reason. As a would-be citizen, you'd be expected to embrace the place for what it is, and respect its venerated institutions. They're certainly not interested in lefty foreigner atheists banging on about western science being the answer to all of life's most fundamental questions.

Happily I'll stay not one, you seem to have assimilated  well.

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2007 at 10:33 PM, dbrenn said:

May 2007 - Got the paperwork and certificate from the Police HQ to

take to the disctrict office to get my ID card. Now I must return my

work permit, alien residence certificate and certificate of residence

to respective authorities as these are no longer needed. Now I can

apply for a passport

I got already the documents from police HQ today, they informed me that I need to go to district office to apply for Thai ID.  Once the ID has been issued, I need to go to Immigration office (I assume Cheang Wattana since I am residing in Bangkok and that’s where I renew my residence visa) and I need to surrender my Residence “White Book” and Allien Red book.

Anyone can advise me what kind of letter or document that I need to get from Immigration office in order to apply for Thai Passport at Ministry of Foreign Affair?  Thank you.

Seems like a few irrelevant posts by people who haven't applied for Thai citizenship. I'm a lapsed catholic & I put my hand on the bible & repeated the words. I don't speak much Thai so struggled. A translation would be nice in line with the no need to speak Thai regulation. It was a key moment & felt important.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 11:14 PM, Andre168 said:

I got already the documents from police HQ today, they informed me that I need to go to district office to apply for Thai ID.  Once the ID has been issued, I need to go to Immigration office (I assume Cheang Wattana since I am residing in Bangkok and that’s where I renew my residence visa) and I need to surrender my Residence “White Book” and Allien Red book.

Anyone can advise me what kind of letter or document that I need to get from Immigration office in order to apply for Thai Passport at Ministry of Foreign Affair?  Thank you.

I was told at SB that I would need to take the citizenship certification document, Thai ID, House Registration book, and certified copy of RG (which SB provides along with citizenship certification document) when I apply for a Thai passport. They told me to cancel my visa after attaining the passport. 

On 9/3/2019 at 1:29 PM, Neeranam said:

Makes me wonder why mine is taking so long. I was told in november 2017 that there were 300 ahead of me in the process. 

I just called the MOI, and all they could tell me was "soon". At least there doesn't seem to be problem,  unless he didn't like being hassled ( ie having to look for file) and put me to the bottom of the pile.

How many here phoned or went to the MoI to check on the progress? 

Do you think it helped or hindered your application?

A watched pot never boils.  Patience my friend, this is not a race.

On 9/3/2019 at 2:46 PM, yankee99 said:

when sb asked my wife about my religious beliefs atheist was not a option. 

When it comes to taking the oath, there are only three options.  Buddhist, Christian or Islam - to take the oath that is.  You do not need to state a religion on your ID card though.  Work the system, if you have got this far, you should know how to do this.

On 9/3/2019 at 11:14 PM, Andre168 said:

Technically, the Thai ID Card is all you need although as you should know by now, just take all documents you can lay your hands on, just in case.

Edited by bkk_bwana

I just noticed that someone I know is among those in the latest list. I asked him how long it took him: 6 years. For me, papers went to MOI end of last year. It took me 4 years to get PR (a colleague who applied some years later got approved in 10 months). It would be nice to know when MOI interview will be if only because I travel regularly. Hopefully within next 6-12 months but life goes on, y'all know what I mean. 

On 9/9/2019 at 8:46 AM, BKKBike09 said:

I just noticed that someone I know is among those in the latest list. I asked him how long it took him: 6 years. For me, papers went to MOI end of last year. It took me 4 years to get PR (a colleague who applied some years later got approved in 10 months). It would be nice to know when MOI interview will be if only because I travel regularly. Hopefully within next 6-12 months but life goes on, y'all know what I mean. 

I had to miss the MOI interview because of travel. They just put me into the next month's interview.  Nothing complicated.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

I had to miss the MOI interview because of travel. They just put me into the next month's interview.  Nothing complicated.

Thank you, this comment is extremely helpful.  When you asked them to be put in the next month's interview schedule, did they tell you the date of the next interviews.  Or did you have to wait until the typical 2-3 days before the interview date for another call.

Also when you asked for a slot a month later, did they give you a hard time, or were they happy to accommodate.  My travel schedule is crazy and I will probably have to do the same thing as you.

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

When becoming a citizen, what benefits do you get regarding the 30 baht scheme?

Would it be worth me continuing to pay the 432 baht a month insurance?

Also, will I  be entitled to the 500 baht a month when I am 60?

You will qualify for the 30 Baht scheme. However, in my case, I am going to continue paying social security after I retire as it gives slightly broader coverage than the 30 Baht scheme.

If you stay in the social security for health care, you are not entitled to the pension. That money will remain in your pot. However, if you leave SS, you have the choice of a one off lump sum payment or the monthly pension. 

In other words, you have the same entitlements as any other Thai who is paying in to the scheme.

• Thanks 1

Step closer today, yellow book and a pink id card at last.

Few questions for anyone with prior experience on these matters.

1) Points for salary, read conflicting information on calculation.
Assuming last calendar year was on one rate, part way through this year increased.

Can I base on currently monthly rate? Or this year average? Or last year tax report average?

2) Had an immigration official mention that if cases are equal, service towards Thailand (eg. volunteering/charity work) push cases along faster.

Not entirely sure if this referred to citizenship or PR, already got some under the belt but curious whether this fits past applications or not.

3) Points for time on yellow book, seen mention that some have got the max 5 points (without PR) for less than 5 years on yellowbook.

Any experience, if so, how long were you on?

On 9/7/2019 at 9:50 PM, NewlyMintedThai said:

You need to take your original passport, too, to show your place of birth.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Do you have to go to Chaeng Wattana when applying for your first Thai passport or can you apply at any of the passport offices in Bangkok? Anybody know? Thanks in advance!!

Step closer today, yellow book and a pink id card at last.

Few questions for anyone with prior experience on these matters.

1) Points for salary, read conflicting information on calculation.
Assuming last calendar year was on one rate, part way through this year increased.
Can I base on currently monthly rate? Or this year average? Or last year tax report average?

2) Had an immigration official mention that if cases are equal, service towards Thailand (eg. volunteering/charity work) push cases along faster.
Not entirely sure if this referred to citizenship or PR, already got some under the belt but curious whether this fits past applications or not.

3) Points for time on yellow book, seen mention that some have got the max 5 points (without PR) for less than 5 years on yellowbook.
Any experience, if so, how long were you on?

1) latest annual tax paid divided by 12 was the reference in my application

2) no idea, but I feel whoever you are there should be a 2 year incompressible processing time on the current 3-4 years average timeline

3) From what I read in this forum, I think no recent applicant on yellow book was given the 5 points

31 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

3) From what I read in this forum, I think no recent applicant on yellow book was given the 5 points

I received 5 points for my book which i had for 5 years. fwiw my sb contact asked another colleague to cfm these points 

10 hours ago, echrist said:

Do you have to go to Chaeng Wattana when applying for your first Thai passport or can you apply at any of the passport offices in Bangkok? Anybody know? Thanks in advance!!

You can apply for it at any passport office.

The only problem you might have is if the office is not familiar with a newly naturalized person applying for a passport.

• Thanks 1