Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/20/2019 at 8:44 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for it at any passport office.

The only problem you might have is if the office is not familiar with a newly naturalized person applying for a passport.

thanks for your reply. i was told that i would have to go to CW for the first one, but did manage to apply for it at the local office yesterday successfully 

Anyone know the process for canceling a Thai visa after gaining Thai citizenship? Do I simply show up at CW and inform them I would like to cancel my visa? Anyone have any idea on what would happen if I never canceled the visa? Would it show me as overstaying my visa? 

Haha I get that all the time as well, welcome to Thailand, you speak good Thai, how many days are you holiday here,  one of my favorite ones is when I speak to people in thai and they reply back in English even though my Thai is pretty good and understandable, just today I went to Starbucks and gave my order in fluent thai and then the guy asks me in english what my name was lol I replied back in thai telling him my name, then he says oh which country is your home , I replied back In thai saying well technically I’m from here hhaha considering in the 34 years of my existence I have spent 20 or so years here and I have been approved for Thai CitIzenship as well , he was having a hard time understanding that concept ????

4 hours ago, danielcondo said:

Haha I get that all the time as well, welcome to Thailand, you speak good Thai, how many days are you holiday here,  one of my favorite ones is when I speak to people in thai and they reply back in English even though my Thai is pretty good and understandable, just today I went to Starbucks and gave my order in fluent thai and then the guy asks me in english what my name was lol I replied back in thai telling him my name, then he says oh which country is your home , I replied back In thai saying well technically I’m from here hhaha considering in the 34 years of my existence I have spent 20 or so years here and I have been approved for Thai CitIzenship as well , he was having a hard time understanding that concept ????

Same experience in Starbucks so i just spell my name in thai then the English usually stops ????????

got a quick question for everyone, came across a lady today who was married to a Thai citizen and has a child who is Thai by birth, after a few years of marriage they got divorced and since then she has been on a visa based off her child , she was told by someone in the ministry that if she acquired a work permit and retains it for 3 years paying her taxes while remaining on her same visa based of her child, she can apply for Thai citizenship directly after 3 years ?  

Honestly speaking it sounds like maybe someone was trying to hustle her and maybe extort some money claiming they can help get her citizenship because in my understanding thats not possible from what i have read before.

Any details would be much appreciated.

On 9/3/2019 at 2:46 PM, yankee99 said:

when sb asked my wife about my religious beliefs atheist was not a option. 

I am not religious but I told them I was a Christian because that's what was filled in on my application form. Mrs Arkady chimed in immediately and told them I wanted to do the Buddhist oath and I said that was fine with me. It comprised of a lot of long words which I didn't fully understand and some of them were quite difficult to repeat after the officer as he went rather fast. It didn't make any difference to me what religion the oath was based on.  I was over the moon to have got to that stage and have the privilege of making the oath.

If someone feels strongly about being an atheistic, they should probably take the Buddhist oath, since they don't believe in any god as such.  It is more of a belief set than a religion.  If they can't accept even that, then by all means withdraw the application on principle. 

The Christian oath, by the way, makes no reference to Jesus. Just God (พระเจ้า). It is pretty generically monotheistic. I am an atheist myself, but it was the simplest of the choices, and what do I really care at the end of the day?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Has anyone got citizenship wile being on a dependent extension?

It would be a extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai. There is no extension done by immigration that is called a dependent extension (same for visas issued by a embassy).

I cannot see having one will affect your application since you are still married to a Thai.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 10:01 PM, echrist said:

Anyone have any idea on what would happen if I never canceled the visa? Would it show me as overstaying my visa? 

I can't  think of any sitiation when you would have to show your original passport in Thailand, apart from to airlines. Best to cancel it, I guess, as there may be a fine if ever caught.

New List posted on the RG today but seems like this one is for the wives , strangely the last list posted in August was for wives as well, strangely the usual sequence that ive noticed is the Men's list is posted before the womens list each time they are published, there's a gap of around 1 week between them, however this time its different as the women's list has been published first

On 11/2/2019 at 3:14 PM, Neeranam said:

I can't  think of any sitiation when you would have to show your original passport in Thailand, apart from to airlines. Best to cancel it, I guess, as there may be a fine if ever caught.

My friend just got her Thai citizenship and decided to let go her Indian passport.  She need to travel to India to settle her property and paperwork and return her passport to the authority in Delhi.

The question: can she go out from Thailand using her Indian passport and return back to Thailand using her Thai passport.  She won’t have her Indian Passport anymore by then.  Thank you for your kind advice.

8 hours ago, Andre168 said:

The question: can she go out from Thailand using her Indian passport and return back to Thailand using her Thai passport.

Yes she can.

But not sure about leaving India without a passport showing a entry to there in her Thai passport.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

When becoming a Thai citizen, do you cancel your Social Security insurance? Can you join the 30 baht health scheme?

yes, naturalized Thais qualify for it. Just need your Thai ID and house registration book to apply. 

Archived