Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

19 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

How does the applicant know if they passed or failed the moi interview? Is there some sort of point system or does the panel just vote? 

Point Based system
Total 100 Point
you need to acquire minimum 50 Point to get eligibility for Thai Nationality.

2 minutes ago, david143 said:

Point Based system
Total 100 Point
you need to acquire minimum 50 Point to get eligibility for Thai Nationality.

Does moi use the same system as SB to score points? and when would moi let you know you acquired the 50 points 

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

Does moi use the same system as SB to score points? and when would moi let you know you acquired the 50 points 

As far as I am aware it does not. To qualify, you must meet the minimum points requirement, which is 50. Otherwise SB will not even forward your application to the MOI. However, when passing on your documents (at least in the past when I applied) no mention is even made to your score. Also, I do not believe that the MOI interviewers run through each of the points categories when they interview. They certainly did not in my case. In the second interview I had with them (long story), they were barely able to get a word in edgeways. I believe that the interview is intended to get a better sense of you as a person and to make sure there are no red flags to granting you citizenship.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

As far as I am aware it does not. To qualify, you must meet the minimum points requirement, which is 50. Otherwise SB will not even forward your application to the MOI. However, when passing on your documents (at least in the past when I applied) no mention is even made to your score. Also, I do not believe that the MOI interviewers run through each of the points categories when they interview. They certainly did not in my case. In the second interview I had with them (long story), they were barely able to get a word in edgeways. I believe that the interview is intended to get a better sense of you as a person and to make sure there are no red flags to granting you citizenship.    

In the MOI interview (I got mine few months ago) they introduced applicants to the panel on the microphone by telling a number of facts that included monthly salary and how many points were scored in the application process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

In the MOI interview (I got mine few months ago) they introduced applicants to the panel on the microphone by telling a number of facts that included monthly salary and how many points were scored in the application process.

Same as me. 53.

5 hours ago, yankee99 said:

No, they have a different point system.

Basically, a formality if you are polite and aren't wearing a Chang wife beater.

1 hour ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Obviously things must have changed since my interview. When I entered the room with my son, I was simply asked to introduce myself. I proceeded to do the same and continued for what seemed to be an hour but was probably 4 or 5 minutes. I recall only being asked one question during the whole interview. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Obviously things must have changed since my interview. When I entered the room with my son, I was simply asked to introduce myself. I proceeded to do the same and continued for what seemed to be an hour but was probably 4 or 5 minutes. I recall only being asked one question during the whole interview. 

They give the information, place of work, salary, number of points, before you enter the room.

21 hours ago, Medinitas said:

in Spanish?

Everything has to be translated into Thai, of course, so it doesn't matter what the original language is. I had documents from 2 different languages and handed in the Thai translations along with the original documents. Just ask whoever is handling your case at SB if the forms have to be certified. In my case, I was told that they did not. 

On 12/11/2019 at 11:49 PM, Neeranam said:

Congratulations!

So you mean that your name was on the royal Gazette you had to wait 2 weeks to get the papers from SB?

I was able to get the documents from SB within 8 days , as for the Khet they gave me an appointment within 3 days , i guess honestly speaking we live in a country where knowing people can help speed up things if possible which in this case did help a bit???? however i got my ID, updated tabien ban and my passport all with me within 2 and half weeks of having my name in the RG

4 minutes ago, Tylor said:

I was able to get the documents from SB within 8 days , as for the Khet they gave me an appointment within 3 days , i guess honestly speaking we live in a country where knowing people can help speed up things if possible which in this case did help a bit???? however i got my ID, updated tabien ban and my passport all with me within 2 and half weeks of having my name in the RG

As I live outside Bangkok, I might move the house book to my hometown. 

Did you have to visit the khet to make an appointment, or just call?

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

As I live outside Bangkok, I might move the house book to my hometown. 

Did you have to visit the khet to make an appointment, or just call?

You would have to visit the Khet with all the documents in hand in order to make an appointment. They will make a copy of all the documents on that day.

• Thanks 1

Good to see that things seem to be getting faster than slower. 

I have a question regarding the Oath.

I was told that it would be about 6 months+ after the MOI interview. However, I plan to be abroad for 6 weeks around that time. Who contacts you regarding the Oath, the MOI or the SB.

Also how long did your oath take after the MOI interview.

1 hour ago, Tylor said:

You would have to visit the Khet with all the documents in hand in order to make an appointment. They will make a copy of all the documents on that day.

Do you have to take the documents directly to the Khet of your Tabian Baan, or can you choose a different Khet or even Province?  Meaning for someone who moved their Tabian Baan to Bangkok for the purpose of applying at SB in Bangkok, can they go directly to their "real" Khet with the paperwork provided by SB, or do they need to go to the Khet that there house registration shows first, and then move their registration to their "real" Khet?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khongaeng said:

Do you have to take the documents directly to the Khet of your Tabian Baan, or can you choose a different Khet or even Province?  Meaning for someone who moved their Tabian Baan to Bangkok for the purpose of applying at SB in Bangkok, can they go directly to their "real" Khet with the paperwork provided by SB, or do they need to go to the Khet that there house registration shows first, and then move their registration to their "real" Khet?

I was told that you cannot. You have to go to khet listed in your yellow book and be transfered to the blue at the same address...then afterwards, you can go to your real khet and have yourself transfered from blue of old khet to new khet. That's what I was told had to be done and is what I did. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I was told that it would be about 6 months+ after the MOI interview. However, I plan to be abroad for 6 weeks around that time. Who contacts you regarding the Oath, the MOI or the SB.

SB contacted me, but it was about 10 months after MOI. Line message from the officer handling my case.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, echrist said:

I was told that you cannot. You have to go to khet listed in your yellow book and be transfered to the blue at the same address...then afterwards, you can go to your real khet and have yourself transfered from blue of old khet to new khet. That's what I was told had to be done and is what I did. 

Interesting, thanks. Did the khet tell you this?

Did you get moved to the blue book and get the ID the same day?

On 11/28/2019 at 2:45 PM, onthemoon said:

Well noted. So it is not a serious offence.

I just received a letter from the Department of the Interior (I've already picked up my naturalisation certificate) telling me that I should complete the process within 60 days.  I am taking that to mean complete everything, including returning the old books.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

MOI send verification of citizenship to the khet listed on your yellow book...so if you show up at a different khet, they will have no verification and unable to process your ID. Perhaps others have found a way around this, but I was told this was the process. It took 2 visits to get my ID. First day I was transferred to the blue book and told to come back about 3 days later. I think the guy in charge of the ID section was out of town and the others were afraid to proceed without his verification. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, echrist said:

MOI send verification of citizenship to the khet listed on your yellow book...so if you show up at a different khet, they will have no verification and unable to process your ID. Perhaps others have found a way around this, but I was told this was the process. It took 2 visits to get my ID. First day I was transferred to the blue book and told to come back about 3 days later. I think the guy in charge of the ID section was out of town and the others were afraid to proceed without his verification. 

Thanks, very helpful. 

I assume I don't need to take my wife with me but just the house master. 

Taking.my wife would be inconvenient, but a few days trip to Bangkok is ok for me.

On 12/14/2019 at 11:44 AM, Neeranam said:

Thanks, very helpful. 

I assume I don't need to take my wife with me but just the house master. 

Taking.my wife would be inconvenient, but a few days trip to Bangkok is ok for me.

I was told to bring a witness.  A friend of mine was told to bring two (different khet). If your khet works like most, their own staff can act as witnesses for a small fee.  But who knows, by the time you get yours, they may well have changed the rules.

On 12/13/2019 at 5:18 PM, Neeranam said:

6 months.  SB calls you.  Oath at the SB office.  I delayed my oath a couple of weeks as I was overseas, no problem for them.  The down side of keeping them waiting is that you keep everyone in your 'batch' waiting.  They need to complete the batch of people to move on to the next stage.

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2019 at 8:29 AM, Neeranam said:

I can confirm that you would need to visit the Khet where your registered in the yellow book and then transfer to the blue book of that khet once your thai, after thats done you can move yourself to any other district without any issues.

• Like 1

An important point to mention would be is after you become a naturalized Thai, the ID number assigned to you will usually start with 8 unlike most other Thai's who were born here , i was told this number is for naturalized people and people who were not born here. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 10:21 AM, david143 said:

Case Submitted on 22 March 2018
Case Forwarded to MOI 10 august 2018
Interview MOI 17 Dec 2019
any one else on 17 because in the list of names i am seeing french nationals too.

Good for you and good luck. Ironically I chose today to go and visit the DOPA office in Lamlukka to follow up on my application (sent to MOI early Dec 2018), and also to see how easy it is to get there etc. There were some comic moments when they kept trying to usher me into the interview waiting room, me explaining that I'd be delighted to be interviewed today but that wasn't why I was there. It's very easy to get to despite the distance from central BKK. Took me 40 minutes to do the 40 km from Phrakhanong. Masses of car parking space too. A friendly official took my details and said she'd ring me with an update ... 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Medinitas said:

Hi all,

I am trying to find out if I am qualified to apply to Thai citizenship and if I can reach 50 points. In relation to my studies I have GCSE. Would I get any points with this? 5? 3? or none?

Thank you.

3. Have you taken any other courses, such as foundation courses or City & Guilds courses, etc.? If you have, they may knock you up to 5.