Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

On 9/3/2021 at 4:28 PM, Lacrimas said:

Thanks that's a good idea. I have to hire two Thais though, right?

This is what I did. It worked out perfectly in the end.  Only 2 Thais are required if you are married to a Thai, otherwise 4 are required, wife (shareholder) can't be one of them.  Minimum Thai salary is 9,000 baht per month.  Your salary must be minimum 40,000.  They both have to be registered with social fund.  Since you are a shareholder, you will not need to be registered for social fund. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, khongaeng said:

On paper there was no Gap because the WP was still "Valid" and BOI didn't stamp anything into my WP when I left the company.  But, if I remember correctly there was a 4 or 5 month Gap between working at my previous company and working at my new company before I got a new work permit.  I even had to "renew" my visa after leaving my previous company because BOI cancelled my reentry and gave me 10 days to apply for an extension, but when I renewed my visa, immigration stamped that I was continuing my previous visa (Non-O due to Thai wife), so I don't really understand why there weren't any issues.  I honestly was surprised when Special Branch accepted my application and when there were no issues afterwards.  They seemed to be only interested in my total income for that year and they divided it by 12.  Even with the 4 months without salary, I was still well over the threshold to get the required points.  Arkady has added some excellent insights into the requirement of continuity of a WP prior to and after applying.  In my case, I'm not sure if I was lucky that they didn't notice the break in a WP, or if the most important part is the paying of taxes at the required threshold, or if I made it through just because on paper it looked like I had continuity of WP, but no one cared to check the annotation on my passport pages.  It is all still a mystery to me.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I dont think its luck. MOI is very strict about the paperwork.

Ministerial guidelines mention` He should have a regular occupation`

They have not mentioned explicitly that gaps in WP is a ground for rejection.

Encouraging information for the future candidates.

What was your timeline, from start to finish?

38 minutes ago, Arkady said:

The requirement for a regular occupation is in the Nationality Act at 10.3 which is what makes it sacrosanct.  I don't think they will normally allow gaps in WPs, if they are aware of them.  I was summoned by the head of the nationality section at the MoI to bring my old and current WPs, having chnanged jobs within the 3 year period, because SB hadn't bothered to include a copy of the old one with my file.  She thumbed through every page of both books in front of me telling me that she was specifically looking for gaps between the two WPs.  When she was finished she said that's good I glad it was all in order because I would have to reject you, if it wasn't.

In Thailand you are at the whim of the officer you are talking to (Hua naa jai dee maak)

They checked your WP but for khongaeng they didnt bother 4 months of gap.

Likewise, some one in this thread posted his horrific experience about getting his yellow book corrected.

For me, I went to khet chatuchak with only my original PP and Thai translation of it. I was out in 2 hours with my 1st shiny YB + Pink card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

In Thailand you are at the whim of the officer you are talking to (Hua naa jai dee maak)

They checked your WP but for khongaeng they didnt bother 4 months of gap.

Likewise, some one in this thread posted his horrific experience about getting his yellow book corrected.

For me, I went to khet chatuchak with only my original PP and Thai translation of it. I was out in 2 hours with my 1st shiny YB + Pink card.

My application was missing the first WP which was nearly 2 years of the 3 year qualifying period because my SB case officer refused to take the copy from me, saying they only wanted the current one.  This sounded very wrong to me and I urged her to take it but she wouldn't and there was nothing I could do. So it wasn't a big surprise when I got the call from the MoI section head 3.5 years later saying it was missing and telling me to report to the office the same day with old WP in hand, although it was a surprise that she called in person.  As a result of my case officer's stubborn incompetence, my WPs probably got more scrutiny than they otherwise would have.  Anyway, I am of the view that WP gaps will still be grounds for rejection, if they are noticed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arkady said:

My application was missing the first WP which was nearly 2 years of the 3 year qualifying period because my SB case officer refused to take the copy from me, saying they only wanted the current one.  This sounded very wrong to me and I urged her to take it but she wouldn't and there was nothing I could do. So it wasn't a big surprise when I got the call from the MoI section head 3.5 years later saying it was missing and telling me to report to the office the same day with old WP in hand, although it was a surprise that she called in person.  As a result of my case officer's stubborn incompetence, my WPs probably got more scrutiny than they otherwise would have.  Anyway, I am of the view that WP gaps will still be grounds for rejection, if they are noticed.

You're a deserving man indeed.

1 minute ago, david143 said:

that's all i can say bunch of ting tongs,
I got my Date for ID card on this Wednesday 9 AM .
2 Gurantor
All original Documents with 2 Sets copy and 1" blue background 2 Photographs ,. will further update on Wednesday  

Amphur told us they will call, but no one call us , so i follow up myself .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

I never had a pink card but its the letter telling me to bring 500 baht to sb

When u apply for a YB, you are assigned a NON Thai Id number starting with 6. They maybe referring to that number, check your YB.

Now don't tell me that you don't have YB...

Or 

You have PR?

Edited by DrJoy
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

When u apply for a YB, you are assigned a NON Thai Id number starting with 6. They maybe referring to that number, check your YB.

Now don't tell me that you don't have YB...

Or 

You have PR?

ok although the letter says it my thai id number you're correct its the same number on my yellow book 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Mine starts with an 8, I am not a Thai citizen (yet). I have PR, and this number was assigned when I was included in the blue tabienban of the house I live in. 

Yes PR also get 8 coz PR is the path to citizenship for singles or with foreign spouses.

When you get citizenship your assigned number wont change since you're already on the blue book.

Non PRs get 6 since they can be registered on a YB only.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 7:03 AM, DrJoy said:

Thanks for the detailed answer. I dont think its luck. MOI is very strict about the paperwork.

Ministerial guidelines mention` He should have a regular occupation`

They have not mentioned explicitly that gaps in WP is a ground for rejection.

Encouraging information for the future candidates.

What was your timeline, from start to finish?

On 9/5/2021 at 10:20 AM, Arkady said:

My experience was actually similar, but fortunately it was caught at SB.  When I initially applied, I was told by SB officer that they didn't need a copy of my WP from the first 2 years of my 3 year period prior to application, but that they only needed a copy of my current WP.  Then I got a call back from SB 1 year later that they needed a copy of my first WP, "just in case". I quickly rushed back to the office to provide a copy of my first WP, and that was the end of it.  

By the way, at no point did anyone want to see that actual old original WP, they were happy with copies of every page with any sort of details printed or hand written.  I was only required to show my current WP when I first applied at SB and at the NIA interview, I never had to show it again, even though I diligently maintained it throughout the process.  

I posted my experience in detail on page 201 of this thread.  In summary it took me 3.75 years.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to link to it directly or not. Sorry moderators if this is not allowed:

• Like 1

Just received an update from a friend who was in the first August RG batch - he got his ID. Speaks of an exhausting experience and says it was suggested to him to reward the officers' hard work with a few thousand baht, otherwise his paperwork would still be lying on a desk. ????

• Like 2

13 hours ago, khongaeng said:

My experience was actually similar, but fortunately it was caught at SB.  When I initially applied, I was told by SB officer that they didn't need a copy of my WP from the first 2 years of my 3 year period prior to application, but that they only needed a copy of my current WP.  Then I got a call back from SB 1 year later that they needed a copy of my first WP, "just in case". I quickly rushed back to the office to provide a copy of my first WP, and that was the end of it.  

By the way, at no point did anyone want to see that actual old original WP, they were happy with copies of every page with any sort of details printed or hand written.  I was only required to show my current WP when I first applied at SB and at the NIA interview, I never had to show it again, even though I diligently maintained it throughout the process. 

Copies of old WPs are certainly acceptable but I actually had the old WP because I had insisted on getting my cancelled WP back at the Labour Ministry. I was glad I had it because another applicant was summoned to bring his old WP to the MoI at the same as I was and the MoI made him get a notarised copy from the Labour Ministry. 

It is astonishing that SB could keep on repeating the same mistake of not collecting copies of old WPs from applicants who change jobs within the three year qualifying period.  It is obvious that this is needed and you would think they would learn from their mistakes.

• Like 1

Hi all - this maybe have already been answered but there are a lot of pages to read through :-) . I am currently preparing to apply for my Thai citizenship. I am currently British and so would like to know: do I need to give up my British citizenship, or can I hold dual citizenship with both British and Thai passport?

13 minutes ago, moochai87 said:

Hi all - this maybe have already been answered but there are a lot of pages to read through ???? . I am currently preparing to apply for my Thai citizenship. I am currently British and so would like to know: do I need to give up my British citizenship, or can I hold dual citizenship with both British and Thai passport?

You do not have to renounce your current citizenship to get Thai citizenship.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, moochai87 said:

Hi all - this maybe have already been answered but there are a lot of pages to read through ???? . I am currently preparing to apply for my Thai citizenship. I am currently British and so would like to know: do I need to give up my British citizenship, or can I hold dual citizenship with both British and Thai passport?

https://sbpolice.go.th/en/page/_143.html

• Like 1