Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

7 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Interesting. Do you know when was the last batch that got an MOI interview? I mean in terms of 1.) When were the documents handed over to MOI and 2.) When did that interview take place?

Reasons I ask:

a.) I want too see whether 18 months was still a good estimate then.

b.) Of course, when they re-start the interviews, they have have a backlog so it will take longer. The longer it has been since the last interview, the bigger the backlog.

TIA

Interesting. Do you know when was the last batch that got an MOI interview?  = May 2021
When Handed Over Doc I don't know but last interview meeting was Dated May 2021

Let's hope that the sinister minister doesn't make a quick comeback from his recent political setback and won't end up getting his coveted interior portfolio.  We should bear in mind that the post-coup years under Gen Anuphong brought a return to the greater transparency and streamlining of the citizenship and PR processes of the pre-Thaksin era. Once politicians get control of the MoI again, the processes will most likely be upended and revert to what they became from 2000 to 2014 with applications disappearing into a black hole and 5-8 year waits normal which was probably what the MoI bureaucrats prefer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Let's hope that the sinister minister doesn't make a quick comeback from his recent political setback and won't end up getting his coveted interior portfolio.  We should bear in mind that the post-coup years under Gen Anuphong brought a return to the greater transparency and streamlining of the citizenship and PR processes of the pre-Thaksin era. Once politicians get control of the MoI again, the processes will most likely be upended and revert to what they became from 2000 to 2014 with applications disappearing into a black hole and 5-8 year waits normal which was probably what the MoI bureaucrats prefer.

And Mussolini made the trains run on time.

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

And Mussolini made the trains run on time.

There are some contemporary accounts that dispute this myth about Il Duce. There is little evidence that he really made the trains run on time but he did upgrade the rail system in the North of Italy and built the first autostrada or expressway.  In keeping with fascist principles the poor and less productive parts of the country were left without any improvements to their mobility.   

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, I think this was due to Covid. I think this was a one off and the next will be faster.

Thank you Neeranam. I certainly hope you are right. Anytime before June next year would be fine for me because it would mean I don't have to go through the visa/wp process again. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

There are some contemporary accounts that dispute this myth about Il Duce. There is little evidence that he really made the trains run on time but he did upgrade the rail system in the North of Italy and built the first autostrada or expressway.  In keeping with fascist principles the poor and less productive parts of the country were left without any improvements to their mobility.   

Thanks, very interesting.But as you probably gathered my post was not really about Mussolini and his trains but rather about the danger of assuming illegal and authoritarian regimes being somehow more efficient than more democratic ones (not that Arkady was suggesting this.) Incidentally I'm not sure you're right about the poor not being part of the fascist constituency.The bread and circuses approach or populism is very much part of the fascist approach to split the working class.

Arguing against myself, one can always invoke Alexander Pope:

'For forms of government let fools contest

Whate'er is best administered is best

• Like 1

15 hours ago, heiri007 said:

Finally. Got. That. Blue. Card. With a horrible photo. Overexposed. Can't even decipher the height numbers in the back. Who cares.

Would I do it again? Of course. Everyone knows from the outset whether one qualifies or not. Grow a thick skin, smile, and smile some more. Conquering Everest? Peanuts in comparison. As @Arkady says, at least a few slippery banana skins are thrown under everyone's feet. But then again, you know from the outset whether you'll make it. You'll meet every bureaucratic obstacle along the way. You'll end up as more Thai than most Thais: sealed, strengthened and authorized by mountains of official stamps, signatures and documents, signed by HM.

Am I more Thai now? No clue. Just the thought of having not to go through all those yearly processes, such as Syphilis and Elephantiasis test for work permit, how liberating. Maybe enjoying two beers tonight instead of one.

And thanks to all of your valuable information in here! It's great to have the guidance of first-hand experience along the way. Just be patient. And it's done. ????

Congratulations! ????????????????????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, heiri007 said:

Finally. Got. That. Blue. Card. With a horrible photo. Overexposed. Can't even decipher the height numbers in the back. Who cares.

Would I do it again? Of course. Everyone knows from the outset whether one qualifies or not. Grow a thick skin, smile, and smile some more. Conquering Everest? Peanuts in comparison. As @Arkady says, at least a few slippery banana skins are thrown under everyone's feet. But then again, you know from the outset whether you'll make it. You'll meet every bureaucratic obstacle along the way. You'll end up as more Thai than most Thais: sealed, strengthened and authorized by mountains of official stamps, signatures and documents, signed by HM.

Am I more Thai now? No clue. Just the thought of having not to go through all those yearly processes, such as Syphilis and Elephantiasis test for work permit, how liberating. Maybe enjoying two beers tonight instead of one.

And thanks to all of your valuable information in here! It's great to have the guidance of first-hand experience along the way. Just be patient. And it's done. ????

I must say very happy to heard from you .

Congrag Brother

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, david143 said:

congragulations

i still not go for Passport and Visa Cancellation.
which is i got booking que on 12 Oct and after apply Passport i will straight go to Immigration, thats why i choose Head office Chaeng Wattana.

You might want to bring your old passport for both the tasks. My wife had to fill out the passport documents because i cant write thai. Also theyll want to see the rest of your naturalization documents. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

You might want to bring your old passport for both the tasks. My wife had to fill out the passport documents because i cant write thai. Also theyll want to see the rest of your naturalization documents. 

noted brother

21 minutes ago, Arkady said:

And you can now sit with an air of detached smugness listening to farangs complaining about syphilis tests and 90 day reporting etc.  Congrats.

You know, am not telling anyone about becoming Thai. It makes most of long staying non-Thais here jealous, so no point in telling anyone - the envy! 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, david143 said:

congragulations

i still not go for Passport and Visa Cancellation.
which is i got booking que on 12 Oct and after apply Passport i will straight go to Immigration, thats why i choose Head office Chaeng Wattana.

Actually all passport offices are open again in Bangkok, also Klong Toey right at MRT station and the one in Maboonkrong. Got a time slot for Tuesday. Just in case you want to plan a bit more ahead, @david143

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yankee99 said:

My triumph needed a  registration renewal and krungsri told me i had to get it a 7/11. Got to 7/11 and they said falang no can. I took my blue card shoved it in the chip reader and paid my money. I know it is a nothing but its my 1st use as a thai ????????????

That must be a great feeling!

• Like 2

I have found a FB entry for a medical doctor of the same name of the Brit who lost his nationality in 2004 working at a missionary hospital in Chiang Rai. That could figure for someone who might have been born in Thailand to foreign missionary parents and automatically got Thai nationality at birth and then came back to work in Thailand himself. There is not much on him though and nothing to confirm that he was born in Thailand or about his nationality. Doctor is not one of the professions reserved for Thai nationals but they need to pass an exam in Thai which he probably could, if he had to post the event.  Assuming he is one and the same, which seems likely, who knows what happened?  Perhaps someone was out to get him. NGOs and missionaries sometimes run up against vindictive local officials in areas they work. I don't want to post his personal details online but anyone interested can google the Thai spelling of his name in the the RG announcement.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I have found a FB entry for a medical doctor of the same name of the Brit who lost his nationality in 2004 working at a missionary hospital in Chiang Rai. That could figure for someone who might have been born in Thailand to foreign missionary parents and automatically got Thai nationality at birth and then came back to work in Thailand himself. There is not much on him though and nothing to confirm that he was born in Thailand or about his nationality. Doctor is not one of the professions reserved for Thai nationals but they need to pass an exam in Thai which he probably could, if he had to post the event.  Assuming he is one and the same, which seems likely, who knows what happened?  Perhaps someone was out to get him. NGOs and missionaries sometimes run up against vindictive local officials in areas they work. I don't want to post his personal details online but anyone interested can google the Thai spelling of his name in the the RG announcement.

Great detective work! Looks like an interesting guy. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 2:48 PM, onthemoon said:

No, that would be the Amity Act.

I read that something had changed this year. I just did a quick google search and could not find that. Seems to have been one of those rumours we just want to be true but aren't. Sorry for the confusion.

I wasn't hallucinating. There is no new law (yet) but there is discussion about it: Caution urged for relaxing laws on foreigners owning land in Thailand - Thailand News - ASEAN NOW - News, Travel & Forum

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

I wasn't hallucinating. There is no new law (yet) but there is discussion about it: Caution urged for relaxing laws on foreigners owning land in Thailand - Thailand News - ASEAN NOW - News, Travel & Forum

Amongst those who have seen this type of proposal before - i)  the 1999 Land Code amendment allowing foreigners to buy land on conditions that could never be met and ii) and the original Elite Card offering a nominee structure to buy land - there is a healthy degree of skepticism about the likelihood of this reform ever getting done in a way that could work, given the huge opposition from nearly all Thais.  Having said that I was surprised that it got as far as cabinet approval which shows the decision makers in the cabiet were convinced the overall visa proposals might really result in a huge inflow of foreign lolly to bail out the Thai economy.  Even ML Chayotid, the ex JP Morgan guy, whose brain child it was said he thought his proposals would probably be shot down before they got to the cabinet.  Personally I hope it goes through, as Mrs Arkady and I can't wait to unload our portfolio of flood prone rice fields in Isaan to the unsuspecting hordes of foreign billionaires who will be looking for idyllic rural locations to settle down at with their trophy young Thai wives. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Arkady said:

Having said that I was surprised that it got as far as cabinet approval which shows the decision makers in the cabiet were convinced the overall visa proposals might really result in a huge inflow of foreign lolly to bail out the Thai economy.  

This would seem quite short-sighted of the government though.  If there is significant foreign investment like this, I would suspect it would drive up land prices significantly, putting them even more out of reach for the average Thais.  Just look at the crazy prices for condos in places like Pattaya or Hua Him or Bangkok where foreigners can own condos.  You can buy a nice house with land for the price of a condo!  This will make a lot of Thais (who own land) very happy in the short term as now they could potentially offload their properties easier, but once prices go up, I could see a bubble forming very quickly like it has with Condos.  

Of course, this policy could just be like so many other government policies where foreigners just avoid the whole thing because it is too complicated, or just too risky overall.  For instance, didn't the government expect a few million tourists in Thailand already with the Sandbox program.  In a way, I do hope they overcomplicate the process for foreign investors to buy land.  

In any case, a good rule of thumb for any recession is that cash is king in the short term before things equalize.  I certainly don't hope for a recession, but I'm glad that I'm finally in the position where I can invest directly in Thailand real estate when / if paper assets hyper inflate or become worthless, as would be the case if things crash hard.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, khongaeng said:

In any case, a good rule of thumb for any recession is that cash is king in the short term before things equalize.  I certainly don't hope for a recession, but I'm glad that I'm finally in the position where I can invest directly in Thailand real estate when / if paper assets hyper inflate or become worthless, as would be the case if things crash hard.  

I think now, with property prices down and who knows what is going to happen in China with the Evergrande thing, is a great time to invest in real estate. Just need crypto to x2 in the next 2 months, which is very likely.