Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

looks like you have a hell of patience for waiting and going through all of that for 3-4 years

Congratulations well deserved!

After being granted PR way back in 1999, they received Thai citizenship in dec 2013, that's 13-14 years. This is of course if they then started their application immediately after receiving PR.

Congratulations to the family.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

looks like you have a hell of patience for waiting and going through all of that for 3-4 years

Congratulations well deserved!

After being granted PR way back in 1999, they received Thai citizenship in dec 2013, that's 13-14 years. This is of course if they then started their application immediately after receiving PR.

Congratulations to the family.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The Nationality Act requires residence in the Kingdom for 5 years which is normally interpreted as PR for 5 years. Therefore, they would not have been eligible to apply for citizenship before 2004. Still a long time, if they applied then, but not 13-14 years.

Re the declaration of intent. That first appeared in the ministerial guidelines in Oct 2009 and came into effect in early 2010. As far as I know, applicants who had not been interviewed at the MoI when it came into effect were asked to make the declaration retroactively but those who had already been interviewed were not. That might explain why Bloodnut was not asked to do it. It is now quite common for applicants to be asked verbally about their intention in the MoI interview but not universal. Some applicants who were asked this and didn't know about the new declaration might have been taken by surprise, including one who reported a while back in this thread.

There is also the not insignificant problem when they ask you to renounce your present citizenship - why swap a Western passport for a Thai one ?

You are not asked to renounce your nationality of birth. Some nationalities even can't renounce their citizenship.

What is asked is to get a letter stating your intention about this.

My 20 year old son and I were granted the honour of Thai Citizenship on Boxing Day 2013. We started the long trudge many years ago securing our PR's early in 1999. We just followed the process laid out perfectly in this amazing OP thread. I was never asked to produce a letter stating my intention to renounce my birth citizenship - which is fortunate. My wife and 4 children are farang - 3 of us are now white Thais because our youngest daughter was born after both parents had PR. It's also possible from other provinces - our application was processed in Phuket - although if I had the option again I'd move my Tabien Barn to Bangkok where they have more experience. Sawasdee Krup from a Hua Daeng... 555

That was a nice Boxing Day present Bloodnut. Congratulations. Well deserved after putting in the effort and the waiting time.

Getting Thai citizenship as a result of having two parents is rare these days. In fact I don't think I have come across other cases. Will you now start the process for your wife to adopt your Thai nationality under Section 9?

I'm a newbie on TV - so working the posting and reply functions out slowly.

Thanks for Congrats from you and the other senior members on this thread. I just produced what was required in a methodical way as the offices and administrators wanted them - so don't feel I should be congratulated for much really. Maybe perseverance. It's not the daunting process I thought it would be. It took a long time - sure - but was the process itself overwhelming? - No not at all. Bit scarey singing the songs and being interviewed in Thai - but the officials were kind and accomodating through these processes.

Can anyone do it? I think yes. It's a tick-the-box process. If you can tick all the boxes then it's possible. Of course, as has been posted here many times, the PR is crutial to even starting the Citizenship application process.

Luckily I was able to tick all the boxes as they came up - so I just kept on going. Fortunately my son reads writes and speaks Thai at university levels so it was a great gift for him to become officially Thai. He's in Uni overseas so this gives him a lot more choices for job roles in the Kingdom on his return - if he wants that.

After a while it takes on a life of its own and gathers momentum. After a few years waiting - I just decided to let go of the outcome. I thought, 'if it comes along great - if not - then no worries either'. Maybe that attitude worked in my favour - I don't know. They came looking for me in the end - not vice versa.

On my farang wife and remaining 2 farang daughters now applying under Section 9... I'm composting on this while researching the process. Probably yes - since the PR is a bit of a headache to maintain and my eldest girl just started Uni overseas - so timing return flights for the yearly multiple re-entry visa renewal is crutial. Replacement process of the PR books when they get full of entry/exit immigration stamps is incentive enough too.

Will look into this and keep those who are interested posted on these processes.

• Like 1

Presumably your remaining kids would have to be under 20 on application to ride off the back of that particular application?

No need to explain to you how it all works, other than to say the naturalisation office in Bangkok for women is separate . If you end up working through them ask Somchit who assisted with my wife's application and kept us in the loop on everything.

Congrats again

Presumably your remaining kids would have to be under 20 on application to ride off the back of that particular application?

No need to explain to you how it all works, other than to say the naturalisation office in Bangkok for women is separate . If you end up working through them ask Somchit who assisted with my wife's application and kept us in the loop on everything.

Congrats again

Thanks Samran - good point. Yes our 2 remaining girls are under 20 so that's handy. Thanksf for the heads up on Khun Somchit. Best

I hope I am wrong but I am not sure that minor children can tag along with a foreign wife applying under Section 9. The tag along provision in Section 12 appears only to apply to minor children applying concurrently with a parent applying for naturalisation under Section 10. Otherwise, children of naturalised Thais over 20 are exempted from singing and having PR, but not from having a profession in Thailand, in Section 11. This section also gives the same exemption to husbands and wives of naturalised Thais which now makes me wonder, if existing wives of naturalised Thais are eligible under Section 9. The husbands are double counted under Section 11(2) and Section 11(4) which may imply that foreign spouses of naturalised Thais are regarded differently from spouses of Thais from birth. A visit to Special Branch in Bangkok would clarify.

• 4 weeks later...

I forgot to ask as an addendum to my previous post.

If I am no longer married to a Thai lady, then I understand that I cannot apply for citizenship on the basis of being married.

But what about the fact that I have a Thai son, born while I was still married? Does that provide grounds to apply for citizenship?

I think that my age, qualifications, language knowledge, charitable/volunteer work etc will get me enough points, still need to pay a bit more tax though smile.png

Simon

The exemption from having PR first under Section 11 of the Act only applies to the husband of a person of Thai nationality, not the father. You need to be currently married and the National Intelligence Agency will check the status of your marriage. Your wife needs to attend all interviews with you, including the interview at the MOI which may take place several years after your application. If your marriage is terminated or your wife passes away during the application process, you no longer qualify for the exemption.

The only concession to parents of Thai children who are not currently married to a Thai is that they need a salary of B40k, rather than 80k, but they must have PR.

Hi there,

I've read through the first ten pages of posts on this thread and the last few pages. Could someone post up a link to current regulations for application for Citizenship? Thanks. I am interest specifically in the exemption from having to have PR for 5 years if married to a Thai national. I've been here for 7 years now married for the last 4, wifey's pregnant, I have transferred all my assets here and intent to stay here for the duration. May as well make the stay easier.

Thanks.

Are you working here and have a have had a work permit for the past 3 years? If not you can not get citizenship.

If you have then read this Guidelines and documents required for application for Thai citizenship by naturalization

This says nothing regarding exemption of PR status required if married to a Thai national. The only exemption is in the level of income required to prove and tax paid per year.

That's how I understand this. Have I misunderstood?

Are you working here and have a have had a work permit for the past 3 years? If not you can not get citizenship.

If you have then read this Guidelines and documents required for application for Thai citizenship by naturalization

This says nothing regarding exemption of PR status required if married to a Thai national. The only exemption is in the level of income required to prove and tax paid per year.

I think that is probably deliberate as they didn't want to advertise too widely that an important restriction was lifted by the 2008 amendment which the bureaucrats might not have agreed with. I asked the police when these regulations first came out why it was not more clear and they answered half jokingly that they couldn't promote the new rule because Thais might no longer have a 1 sqcm to stand on a piece in future. The bill was proposed by female MP who objected to the discrimination against Thai women in not giving their foreign husbands the same rights as foreign wives. In fact the original draft would have given foreign husbands exactly the same rights, i.e. no need to be working, but that was watered down by the ministry before it was passed.

Anyway the amendment is now in place and many foreign men with Thai wives but without PR have applied and some have even been approved. You won't have to sing and the interviews will all be with your wife which makes it easier.

I think that is probably deliberate as they didn't want to advertise too widely that an important restriction was lifted by the 2008 amendment which the bureaucrats might not have agreed with. I asked the police when these regulations first came out why it was not more clear and they answered half jokingly that they couldn't promote the new rule because Thais might no longer have a 1 sqcm to stand on a piece in future. The bill was proposed by female MP who objected to the discrimination against Thai women in not giving their foreign husbands the same rights as foreign wives. In fact the original draft would have given foreign husbands exactly the same rights, i.e. no need to be working, but that was watered down by the ministry before it was passed.

Anyway the amendment is now in place and many foreign men with Thai wives but without PR have applied and some have even been approved. You won't have to sing and the interviews will all be with your wife which makes it easier.

I fully agree with Arkady.

I cycled across town to the Ministry of the Interior yesterday just for a look. Unfortunately, I can confirm that it is still shutdown and surrounded by razor wire. Oh well, what's a few months in the scheme of things?

Edited by GarryP

• 3 weeks later...

Is it now confirmed that some foreign men married to Thai women have completed the process and received Thai citizenship without having previously held PR?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I haven't met any yet but have seen at least one post on TV referring to one who did, which I can't of course independently verify. Certainly quite a few have reached the interview stage at the MoI. Anyway it seems that they are treated on their merits the same as everyone else. Either you are qualified according the law and the ministerial regs or you're not.

BANGKOK: -- People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) leader Suthep Thaugsuban announced Saturday that all government offices except Government House and the Interior Ministry will be open Tuesday, ending months long seizure.

Full Story: http://www.thaivisa....y/#entry7655342

Please Khun Kamnan krap. Please let the Interior Ministry reopen, even if it's just that section in DOPA that handles applications for nationality.

• Like 1

BANGKOK: -- People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) leader Suthep Thaugsuban announced Saturday that all government offices except Government House and the Interior Ministry will be open Tuesday, ending months long seizure.

Full Story: http://www.thaivisa....y/#entry7655342

Please Khun Kamnan krap. Please let the Interior Ministry reopen, even if it's just that section in DOPA that handles applications for nationality.

The one and only government ministry on which we are waiting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I understand that the protesters have stopped blockading the Ministry of the Interior and the poklice and army have already run checks of the premisies for bombs and munitions, but does anyone know whether it is now open for business, in particular the Minority and Nationalities Group of the ISB.

I understand that the protesters have stopped blockading the Ministry of the Interior and the poklice and army have already run checks of the premisies for bombs and munitions, but does anyone know whether it is now open for business, in particular the Minority and Nationalities Group of the ISB.

Although the protesters are gone but MOI staff is not allowed in, not yet.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

On the plus side the military appointed Sarayud administration with Sarayud, himself, doubling as interior minister had a relatively good record in approving citizenship applications. We'll have to see what happens this time.