Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Submitted 4 photographs in suit (2" x 2-1/2") today to officer at SB. Will wait for their call to collect the Naturalization Certificate. Does anybody knows the timeline on when these certificates would be issued for collection?

I did the same, but they asked for 6 photos. I was told they would contact me by Line. laugh.png In previous cases it was 4 to 5 weeks.

When I went to collect my naturalisation certificate I was surprised to find there was a rather large group of other new Thais in the office and the police just started making up the certificates when they arrived for work that day, rather than prepare them in advance. When they had finished in the late morning they sent them upstairs for a general to sign only to find he had already left for his golf appointment, or whatever police generals do. So the whole process started again making up new certificates with a police colonel's name on them instead. We were all there from 9.00am to about 3.00pm and went off to have lunch in the police cafe nearby. I hope they have a more efficient system in place by now.

Just a side story - home sick today and was outside chatting to a neighbour. Told him my wife recently got her citizenship and he said so had his wife. Turns out she was one of the 300+ women who were in the backlog. In their case, the wait was 18 years! He was impressed we did it in 8.

The irony of it all is that she is of a nationality which forbids dual citizenship, so she still does the non-immigrant O visa extension of stay so as not to arouse the suspicion of her original country.

Edited by samran

Submitted 4 photographs in suit (2" x 2-1/2") today to officer at SB. Will wait for their call to collect the Naturalization Certificate. Does anybody knows the timeline on when these certificates would be issued for collection?

Delivered my pictures this morning. SB told me that the certificates will be ready within 2 weeks.
  • Like 1

Delivered my pictures this morning. SB told me that the certificates will be ready within 2 weeks.

I forgot to ask when they would be ready. That is really quick. I understand from other successful applicants that in the past it took up to 8 weeks.

I forgot to ask when they would be ready. That is really quick. I understand from other successful applicants that in the past it took up to 8 weeks.
So you get a certificate too? My wife only got a lousy letter... Guess it cuts down the waiting time though! Edited by samran

• 2 weeks later...

Now that we are approaching the two week mark, I wonder if anyone has been called to pick up his or her papers yet? Getting impatient.laugh.png

Now that we are approaching the two week mark, I wonder if anyone has been called to pick up his or her papers yet? Getting impatient.laugh.png

The two weeks mark after my visit would be (8 February + two weeks) Monday 22 February 2016. That's Maka Bucha Day so expect it to be 23 February 2016. You're really getting impatient! gigglem.gif

The two weeks mark after my visit would be (8 February + two weeks) Monday 22 February 2016. That's Maka Bucha Day so expect it to be 23 February 2016. You're really getting impatient! gigglem.gif

That works too. 24 February is an auspicious date so thought if possible I would like to get my ID card on that date, but 27 also works biggrin.png . When in Rome and all that.....
  • Like 1

Interesting development. I was contacted by the District Office head this morning to bring in my documents so he could have a look and then fix a date for transferring me into my son's house registration book and issuance of ID card. I told him that I hadn't received the documents from the SB yet and he wanted to know when I would get them. It seems he wants to make the appointment as soon as possible. I do not know who informed him, but assume it came through BoRA.

• Like 1

Interesting development. I was contacted by the District Office head this morning to bring in my documents so he could have a look and then fix a date for transferring me into my son's house registration book and issuance of ID card. I told him that I hadn't received the documents from the SB yet and he wanted to know when I would get them. It seems he wants to make the appointment as soon as possible. I do not know who informed him, but assume it came through BoRA.

wai.gif

And from the day of entering as a foreign citizen to becoming a Thai = 9,218 days

Got a line message yesterday from SB to pick up the Naturalization certificate. Was there at 08:00, the officer asked me to sign 2 documents in Thai & 1 copy of Naturalization certificate. Unfortunately Captain was a bit late so another officer conferred the certificate. I got 1 Naturalization Certificate, 3 copies of Royal Gazette duly stamped and signed by SB officials and 1 copy of document confirming that I have received the certificate.

Went to Thesaban from there, the office at Bang Muang was very helpful, they already were notified by Bora/Dopa about my case. Took a short interview, asked for original Blue book and copy, Yellow book and copy, Passport copy, wife's id copy & 3 one inch pictures. She informed that she will need to submit the case to the District head and by early next week, I will be transferred from yellow book to blue book. Once that's done, they will ask me to collect the blue book and other documents to go to Amphoe to make Thai ID.

So, in total it took 2,526 days from the day my documents were accepted by SB for Naturalization to get the Certificate. I guess I was lucky, if it was not for this government, I would still be living off visa and work permits

• Like 1

So you get a certificate too? My wife only got a lousy letter... Guess it cuts down the waiting time though!

Women with Thai husbands don't get a naturalisation certificate because they don't get naturalised. They merely adopt their husbands' Thai nationality. It does cut down the waiting time because they don't need the King's approval or have to make the oath of allegiance. Saves up to a year or more. They also save the 1,000 fee for the naturalisation certificate.

• Like 1

The list has been published. 142 people on the list.

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2559/E/024/6.PDF

clap2.gif

Cannot read Thai, just wondering,from the names, how many seem to be Farang names as opposed to those from neighboring countries.
With all due respect, nontabury, why do you want to know?
Just curious how many of them are farangs,that's all.

Is there any reason I and others should't know?

He's just worried that thailand's concern for privacy means they've published his name, spouses name and their home address.

And from the day of entering as a foreign citizen to becoming a Thai = 9,218 days

Got a line message yesterday from SB to pick up the Naturalization certificate. Was there at 08:00, the officer asked me to sign 2 documents in Thai & 1 copy of Naturalization certificate. Unfortunately Captain was a bit late so another officer conferred the certificate. I got 1 Naturalization Certificate, 3 copies of Royal Gazette duly stamped and signed by SB officials and 1 copy of document confirming that I have received the certificate.

Went to Thesaban from there, the office at Bang Muang was very helpful, they already were notified by Bora/Dopa about my case. Took a short interview, asked for original Blue book and copy, Yellow book and copy, Passport copy, wife's id copy & 3 one inch pictures. She informed that she will need to submit the case to the District head and by early next week, I will be transferred from yellow book to blue book. Once that's done, they will ask me to collect the blue book and other documents to go to Amphoe to make Thai ID.

So, in total it took 2,526 days from the day my documents were accepted by SB for Naturalization to get the Certificate. I guess I was lucky, if it was not for this government, I would still be living off visa and work permits

Congratulations

I just received information form SB that I have to appear for Interview for Nationality next week....(Took 4+ years). I am travelling at present so don't have time to go through the whole thread to beside about below questions. Hope to get advice on below....

1. Do I need to Sing National Anthem? And King's Anthem? ( My wife is a Thai National )

2. My wife will accompany me, Do I need to take my sons along? ( I have 2 sons and I live in Upcountry if needed then they will have to miss school)

3. How long does the interview last?

4. What sort of questions can I expect? (Besides Introducing myself).

5. What documents do I need to carry with me?

6. Any other advice..

Thank you and appreciate your few suggestions.

I just received information form SB that I have to appear for Interview for Nationality next week....(Took 4+ years). I am travelling at present so don't have time to go through the whole thread to beside about below questions. Hope to get advice on below....

1. Do I need to Sing National Anthem? And King's Anthem? ( My wife is a Thai National )

No, provided you applied on the basis of being married to a Thai national and Section 11.4 was referenced in the covering letter that SB sent with your file to the MoI. SB will usually do this, even for applicants with PR, if they are also married to a Thai, to save them from having to sing. If you don't have PR or had it for less than 5 years at the time of application, your application should definitely have been made on the basis of being married to a Thai, not as a PR. However, Section 11.4 was not referenced in the covering letter, you will have to sing for your supper.

2. My wife will accompany me, Do I need to take my sons along? ( I have 2 sons and I live in Upcountry if needed then they will have to miss school)

No need to bring your sons along. This would only be necessary, if you were applying for Thai citizenship for them along with yourself, but they are already Thai. So no need.

It takes about 5 minutes, if you are applying on the basis of being married to a Thai, and your wife is interviewed with you and is allowed to help you out. If you are not applying on the basis of being married to a Thai, it will take around 15 minutes including the singing and you get the third degree by yourself, even if your wife is there with you.

If you are being interviewed with your wife, you will probably just be asked to introduce yourself and could expect questions about your work, family, where you live. Solo interviewees can get some tougher questions. I was asked about the Thai economy and I have heard of solo interviewees being asked to translate a line in the Royal Anthem or to describe the feelings the singing of the Royal Anthem invoked in them. Not easy but those applying on the basis of being married to a Thai are only being interviewed to check suitability and truthfulness of application details, since they are not required to have knowledge of the Thai language under the Act. Others are and are therefore interviewed for language skills as well.

Passport, WP, tabien baan, alien book (if PR) and residence book (if PR).

6. Any other advice.

Be on time but be prepared to wait around all day, if you draw a bad queue number.

6. Any other advice..

I just received information form SB that I have to appear for Interview for Nationality next week....(Took 4+ years). I am travelling at present so don't have time to go through the whole thread to beside about below questions.

I think it's the most important event in the whole procedure as this interview may give a go or no-go. After that it's waiting and waiting. i.e. approval by the big committee, Minister's approval, H. M. The King's approval, MOI's approval for the Royal Gazette publication, Naturalization Certificate and finally the Thai National ID card.

Safe journey with traveling, tamvine. :)

I think it's the most important event in the whole procedure as this interview may give a go or no-go. After that it's waiting and waiting. i.e. approval by the big committee, Minister's approval, H. M. The King's approval, MOI's approval for the Royal Gazette publication, Naturalization Certificate and finally the Thai National ID card.

Is this the one with the two guys in McDonalds? That came as a surprise to me - I was expecting an office or something, but the guy called and said "McDonalds Ratchaprasong, bring the wife".

Or is the McD one before the big one? I haven't heard anything since that one yet, but I'm hoping it went well :)

Is this the one with the two guys in McDonalds? That came as a surprise to me - I was expecting an office or something, but the guy called and said "McDonalds Ratchaprasong, bring the wife".

Nope. That's the NIA interview. Happens in general 1-3 months after application at SB. Edited by aidenai