Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Is there anything to stop someone setting up their own company, employing the necessary amount of Thais, getting your own WP and paying staff and oneself the required salaries and tax for the 3 years plus?

Nothing to prevent that. However, if your company consistently loses money for many years, it can become difficult to renew the work permit, so to be completely safe, you should ensure that your company makes a modest profit.

• Like 1

And what are you going to say when they ask you what your company does and why it has so little income (and therefore pays so little tax)?

Who's to say too little income?

I was thinking about running some money from the UK to Thailand and then sending it back again..ad infinitum whistling.gif

Just as much as is needed for income level or tax purposes...can be for online work or selling widgets whatever... wink.png

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Hi. Can anyone recommend a good and reliable agent in Bangkok to lead me through the Thai Citizenship Application?

I speak (I am told) approx 80-90% fluent Thai, have lived here for 16 years, all the time with a work permit and paying taxes, I own a condo and have the tabien ban (yellow copy). I also have two half Thai children in education here (Int'l school) and am divorced from their Mum. It's about time I stopped relying on working here to be allowed to remain here for the sake of my children - I would feel more comfortable with Thai Citizenship to ensure I can come or go as I see fit in the future.

Any advice on the process, and the name of a reliable no trustworthy agent would be most appreciated.

Hi. Can anyone recommend a good and reliable agent in Bangkok to lead me through the Thai Citizenship Application?

I speak (I am told) approx 80-90% fluent Thai, have lived here for 16 years, all the time with a work permit and paying taxes, I own a condo and have the tabien ban (yellow copy). I also have two half Thai children in education here (Int'l school) and am divorced from their Mum. It's about time I stopped relying on working here to be allowed to remain here for the sake of my children - I would feel more comfortable with Thai Citizenship to ensure I can come or go as I see fit in the future.

Any advice on the process, and the name of a reliable no trustworthy agent would be most appreciated.

The two routes to gaining citizenship are through marriage (and waiting for 1-3 years) or by getting permanent residence (and waiting for 5 years). As you are divorced, it sounds like you would need to get PR first. The only time of the year you can usually apply is the last couple of weeks of December, but getting the required documents together can take a couple of months.

There are several threads on here regarding the process of applying for PR, and I would strongly suggest reading those to get an idea of what you have ahead of you.

I wish you the best of luck - these things do take time.

I am the owner of a small business and have PR. Would application for Citizenship involve review of your business? Anyone that has obtained citizenship and is the owner of their own business, where you asked questions or asked to provide documentation regarding your business?

Edited by THAIJAMES

I am the owner of a small business and have PR. Would application for Citizenship involve review of your business? Anyone that has obtained citizenship and is the owner of their own business, where you asked questions or asked to provide documentation regarding your business?

They ask for company registration documents and tax records of companies in which you hold shares, and for which you are a director.

Dear all,

I got My PR this year July 1st 2015 (reason: investment-business)

I would like to apply for Thai citizenship.

I have a Thai daughter, 6 years old and I'm legally the father.

I read in the Guidelines for Applications for Thai Citizenship by Naturalization of 14th day of October 2009 (english translation):

3.2 Applicants with direct personal ties with Thailand, such as those married to a Thai citizen, those with children who are Thai citizens, or those who graduated from an institute of tertiary education in Thailand should have an income of not less than 40,000 baht a month supported by a letter of confirmation of monthly salary/income and must show evidence that they have paid tax for not less than 3 years; or they should they should have paid personal income tax of more than 50,000 baht per year for the 3 tax years prior to their application for naturalization

4. They should have received permission from the Immigration Bureau to remain permanently in the Kingdom of Thailand and be able to show supporting documentation in the form of a Certificate of Residence, an Alien Registration Book, or a House Registration Certificate (Thor Ror 14) that proves incontrovertibly that they have been permanently resident in Thailand for not less than 5 years.

5. They should have been permanently resident in the Kingdom of Thailand for not less than 5 years counted from the date they received their Certificate of Residence, Alien Registration Book or House Registration Certificate (Thor
Ror 14) that proves incontrovertibly that they have been permanently resident in Thailand for not less than 5 years.

My question is: when can I apply?

It seams obvious that reading the translation of point 4 and 5, I can apply in 5 years from the obtention of my PR.

But reading this forum it looks like some posters say that there is no need to wait 5 years from the PR obtention.

Sorry If i misunderstand, i just want to be sure.

Thanks to posters of both tread I used here: Camerata for PR and Dbrenn for this one.

Hello all lucky citezenship applicants and well done.

I am well into the system. Final MI interview 29 September, final committee for approval 23 ,November. Policemen who helped me estimates 2 months for minister to sign. Can anybody give me an estimate of time between minister signing and Kings approval?

Seems after that the Oath is a week or two and plenty of estimates for time till entry into gazette.

I am puzzled by 2 other things

1- many people said they didnt have the house registration blue book until getting id card, i am puzzled as i got the blue book when i got my residency.

2 - seems some people get to use the foreign name on their id card but i had to make a new Thai name when My application for citizenship was approved. Ans imassume that will be used?

Cheers and thanks

Nick

Dear all,

I read in the Guidelines for Applications for Thai Citizenship by Naturalization of 14th day of October 2009 (english translation):

3.2 Applicants with direct personal ties with Thailand, such as those married to a Thai citizen, those with children who are Thai citizens, or those who graduated from an institute of tertiary education in Thailand should have an income of not less than 40,000 baht a month supported by a letter of confirmation of monthly salary/income and must show evidence that they have paid tax for not less than 3 years; or they should they should have paid personal income tax of more than 50,000 baht per year for the 3 tax years prior to their application for naturalization

4. They should have received permission from the Immigration Bureau to remain permanently in the Kingdom of Thailand and be able to show supporting documentation in the form of a Certificate of Residence, an Alien Registration Book, or a House Registration Certificate (Thor Ror 14) that proves incontrovertibly that they have been permanently resident in Thailand for not less than 5 years.

5. They should have been permanently resident in the Kingdom of Thailand for not less than 5 years counted from the date they received their Certificate of Residence, Alien Registration Book or House Registration Certificate (Thor

Ror 14) that proves incontrovertibly that they have been permanently resident in Thailand for not less than 5 years.

It seams obvious that reading the translation of point 4 and 5, I can apply in 5 years from the obtention of my PR.

But reading this forum it looks like some posters say that there is no need to wait 5 years from the PR obtention.

Thanks to posters of both tread I used here: Camerata for PR and Dbrenn for this one.

If you are not married to a Thai citizen, you have to wait 5 years after obtaining PR. This is stated clearly in the Thai Nationality Act 2008. Having a Thai child helps only in reducing the salary required for applying for citizenship.

• Like 1

Dear all,

If you are not married to a Thai citizen, you have to wait 5 years after obtaining PR. This is stated clearly in the Thai Nationality Act 2008. Having a Thai child helps only in reducing the salary required for applying for citizenship.

This is correct. I would add that if you are married to the mother of your daughter, then you only need to have been married for one year, in order to qualify. So you can either wait 4.5 years, or get married to the mother of your child and wait one year. (Or marry someone else, and wait three years.)

• Like 1

1- many people said they didnt have the house registration blue book until getting id card, i am puzzled as i got the blue book when i got my residency.

2 - seems some people get to use the foreign name on their id card but i had to make a new Thai name when My application for citizenship was approved. Ans imassume that will be used?

If you got citizenship as a result of being the spouse of a Thai citizen, then you would not need to have PR, and you would therefore get the blue book when you got citizenship.

I also had to include a new Thai name on my application for citizenship. My understanding is that there is no requirement or expectation to use it. I guess it's included just because the bureaucrats haven't got round to removing the requirement for it to be included.

• Like 1

If you got citizenship as a result of being the spouse of a Thai citizen, then you would not need to have PR, and you would therefore get the blue book when you got citizenship.

I also had to include a new Thai name on my application for citizenship. My understanding is that there is no requirement or expectation to use it. I guess it's included just because the bureaucrats haven't got round to removing the requirement for it to be included.

Thanks for that. Can you help with estimate of time between minister signing and King's approval?

That's interesting. Can somebody confirm that this is actually the case? Thank you very much.

Edited by aidenai

Dear all,

This is correct. I would add that if you are married to the mother of your daughter, then you only need to have been married for one year, in order to qualify. So you can either wait 4.5 years, or get married to the mother of your child and wait one year. (Or marry someone else, and wait three years.)

Thank you James and Sww. Where can I find the reference of this in a Thai document, any link? "married to the mother of your daughter, then you only need to have been married for one year, in order to qualify"

Thank you James and Sww. Where can I find the reference of this in a Thai document, any link? "married to the mother of your daughter, then you only need to have been married for one year, in order to qualify"

It is mentioned near the top of this page: http://www.thaivisa.com/acquiring-thai-nationality.html

I also had this confirmed when I visited to enquire at the Special Branch office (in building 24) that handles naturalisation. The guy who handles naturalisation enquiries there said that you have to have PR for five years or be married for three years. That is reduced to one year if you have a child together.

Just having a Thai child does not qualify you to apply; you have to be married to the child's mother for a year, or to anyone else for three years.

It is mentioned near the top of this page: http://www.thaivisa.com/acquiring-thai-nationality.html

I also had this confirmed when I visited to enquire at the Special Branch office (in building 24) that handles naturalisation. The guy who handles naturalisation enquiries there said that you have to have PR for five years or be married for three years. That is reduced to one year if you have a child together.

Just having a Thai child does not qualify you to apply; you have to be married to the child's mother for a year, or to anyone else for three years.

The requirement for a male applicant without PR to be married to a Thai for 3 years, or 1 year if they have a child together, is in the detailed guidelines which are now available in a not very good translation on Special Branch's website here http://gsd.sbpolice.go.th/national.php. It is point 7.

That's interesting. Can somebody confirm that this is actually the case? Thank you very much.

AFAIK that is correct, i.e. the requirement to reserve a Thai name is a leftover from the days when you had to change your name, which was the case up until about 15-20 years ago. I know a few people who were naturalised some time ago and had to change their names.

I got a different interpretation from my DO when I went to get my ID card. The officer told me it was up to the DO and some still insisted on changing your name to the one you reserved but they didn't insist and I didn't change my name. I think this is probably not true, as Special Branch told me it was now up the applicants whether they changed their names or not, rather than up to the whim of the DO, but you might encounter a rogue DO that wants to force you to change your name.

• Like 1

Is there anything to stop someone setting up their own company, employing the necessary amount of Thais, getting your own WP and paying staff and oneself the required salaries and tax for the 3 years plus?

Nothing to prevent that. However, if your company consistently loses money for many years, it can become difficult to renew the work permit, so to be completely safe, you should ensure that your company makes a modest profit.

If you are shareholder in the company, you have to submit audited accounts and some other corporate documents that are not required, if you are only an employer. I was working for a listed company when I applied and they said they would need all of this, if I admitted to owning even 100 shares. I sold my small holding in the company before I applied just to be safe.

Other than that requirement, I don't know what level of scrutiny the company would be subjected to. You would obviously be asked in detail about your business and your role in it by Special Branch, the National Intelligence Agency and the Interior Ministry but they do ask for details of your job anyway. Whether they would subject the company to special scrutiny to ensure it is not just a special purpose vehicle established to provide you with a WP and allow you to apply for citizenship I can't say.

What I can say is that Immigration are well aware that foreigners set up "man of straw" type companies to get WPs and likely check in even greater detail, if someone with his own company applies for PR. When I applied in the 90s I was told by a Pol Maj Gen at Immigration that their policy at that time was to automatically reject all PR applications from employees of companies with paid-up capital of less than B5 million without telling them the real reason for the rejection. That way they felt they eliminated all the applicants from fake companies and obviously didn't care that applicants with legitimate small businesses were rejected along with them because they were Micky Mouse and not contributing a lot to the Thai economy. I don't know what is current policy but wouldn't be surprised if it is still the same or similar. At any rate Immigration is likely to be much harsher on applicants for PR from small businesses than SB, the NIA and the MOI are on citizenship applicants but don't forget that Immigration has a seat on the Small Committee that interviews and screens citizenship applicants at the MOI.

• Like 1

AFAIK that is correct, i.e. the requirement to reserve a Thai name is a leftover from the days when you had to change your name, which was the case up until about 15-20 years ago. I know a few people who were naturalised some time ago and had to change their names.

I got a different interpretation from my DO when I went to get my ID card. The officer told me it was up to the DO and some still insisted on changing your name to the one you reserved but they didn't insist and I didn't change my name. I think this is probably not true, as Special Branch told me it was now up the applicants whether they changed their names or not, rather than up to the whim of the DO, but you might encounter a rogue DO that wants to force you to change your name.

I was not asked to change my name.

Of course, you can if you'd like to -- just like any other citizen.

you have to be married to the child's mother for a year

Out of interest, do you still have to be married to her? I was legally married to a Thai woman, had a son in wedlock, but divorced a few years later.

Yes. You could even remarry her and wait one year - but you have to be married to qualify, if you don't have PR.

Out of interest, do you still have to be married to her? I was legally married to a Thai woman, had a son in wedlock, but divorced a few years later.

You need to be still married. People have been rejected when it was discovered they got divorced after they put in their applications. If you apply on the basis of being married to a Thai, she has to show up for the interview with you.

I was not asked to change my name.

Of course, you can if you'd like to -- just like any other citizen.

That's correct and you don't have to use the name you reserved.

One of my Thai staff has changed both her first name three times in less than a year on advice from fortune tellers and then got married and took her husband's last name. I have given up trying to remember her name.

• Like 1

You need to be still married. People have been rejected when it was discovered they got divorced after they put in their applications. If you apply on the basis of being married to a Thai, she has to show up for the interview with you.

How long after submitting the application documents is the first interview? And then what is the next step? I just submitted my documents this week :)