Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my case, the time between the NIA-interview and the interview at the DOPA/ BORA was a bit more than 4 years.

>gulp<

OK, so I hope it's not THAT long! I will keep you all posted anyway.

And in that time, you can't change employer, or anything? (Not that I want to, but you can never predict the future.)

In my case, the time between the NIA-interview and the interview at the DOPA/ BORA was a bit more than 4 years.

>gulp<

And in that time, you can't change employer, or anything? (Not that I want to, but you can never predict the future.)

It was not that long for me and things have started moving much faster under the current regime. You can change employer but you must maintain a work permit throughout the whole period. I believe it would just be a matter of transferring you employment from A to B and getting a new work permit under B.

>gulp<

As GarryP said, no problem to change employers but you MUST maintain a work permit without interruptions.

>gulp<

As GarryP said, no problem to change employers but you MUST maintain a work permit without interruptions.

Actually, you can have interruptions, so long as you have a valid WP when you first apply, and when you appear at the Interior Ministry. Following my IM interview, I hung on to a job I hated to keep my WP in effect, but I was not asked to produce it again.

Prior to appearing at the IM, but after my interview at the SB, I changed jobs a couple of times, and there were gaps of a couple of months in between.

Actually, you can have interruptions, so long as you have a valid WP when you first apply, and when you appear at the Interior Ministry. Following my IM interview, I hung on to a job I hated to keep my WP in effect, but I was not asked to produce it again.

Prior to appearing at the IM, but after my interview at the SB, I changed jobs a couple of times, and there were gaps of a couple of months in between.

Thank you both for this information - this is encouraging :)

I appeared for Interview today at BORA/DOPA. Morning first Q was for the Ladies following Thai Husbands and there were 8 in Total. Then there were about 20 persons following wives or PR based applications.

Interviews started about 10 AM in morning and by lunch almost 10 people were interviewed.

As for applied based on Thai wife questions were general..

- Introduction of yourself.

- What Job you do/ salary etc...

- Why do you want to become Thai National?

- After being in Thailand for 12 years why did you just applied for Nationality?

Interview lasted less than 10 minutes and no-one checked any documents (at least in my case).

Majority of the Candidates were either Chinese or Taiwanese in this batch.

I also noticed that one lady from SB came and interacted with almost all candidates and advised on what questions may be asked in Interview and how to answer them. Which was nice in a way , at least made people more comfortable.

Good luck to ALL!

I appeared for Interview today at BORA/DOPA. Morning first Q was for the Ladies following Thai Husbands and there were 8 in Total. Then there were about 20 persons following wives or PR based applications.

Interviews started about 10 AM in morning and by lunch almost 10 people were interviewed.

- After being in Thailand for 12 years why did you just applied for Nationality?

Interview lasted less than 10 minutes and no-one checked any documents (at least in my case).

I also noticed that one lady from SB came and interacted with almost all candidates and advised on what questions may be asked in Interview and how to answer them. Which was nice in a way , at least made people more comfortable.

Good luck to ALL!

Congrats. to you. Did you apply based on PR or marriage to a thai?

Good luck to ALL!

Congrats. to you. Did you apply based on PR or marriage to a thai?

My wife is Thai.

I just received information form SB that I have to appear for Interview for Nationality next week....(Took 4+ years). I am travelling at present so don't have time to go through the whole thread to beside about below questions. Hope to get advice on below....

1. Do I need to Sing National Anthem? And King's Anthem? ( My wife is a Thai National )

2. My wife will accompany me, Do I need to take my sons along? ( I have 2 sons and I live in Upcountry if needed then they will have to miss school)

3. How long does the interview last?

4. What sort of questions can I expect? (Besides Introducing myself).

5. What documents do I need to carry with me?

6. Any other advice..

Thank you and appreciate your few suggestions.

Regarding the information from SB, do they give you a call or send you a letter? I applied for Thai Citizens since 2013 and still waiting for the MOI Interview.

Thank you!

I just received information form SB that I have to appear for Interview for Nationality next week....(Took 4+ years). I am travelling at present so don't have time to go through the whole thread to beside about below questions. Hope to get advice on below....

1. Do I need to Sing National Anthem? And King's Anthem? ( My wife is a Thai National )

2. My wife will accompany me, Do I need to take my sons along? ( I have 2 sons and I live in Upcountry if needed then they will have to miss school)

6. Any other advice..

Regarding the information from SB, do they give you a call or send you a letter? I applied for Thai Citizens since 2013 and still waiting for the MOI Interview.

Thank you!

Usually both. If you have changed your phone number make sure to let SB know as I received the invitation letter after the interview had taken place.

6. Any other advice..

Thank you!

Usually both. If you have changed your phone number make sure to let SB know as I received the invitation letter after the interview had taken place.

Thank you very much :)

Got myself today registered in the blue book and got the Thai National ID card. It took exactly 4 hours in all. I had the choice to choose the Thai name or keep my foreign name. I chose for the latter. From Application at SB to today took 6 years 6 months and 26 days. Best of luck to all who are in the process.

Got myself today registered in the blue book and got the Thai National ID card. It took exactly 4 hours in all. I had the choice to choose the Thai name or keep my foreign name. I chose for the latter. From Application at SB to today took 6 years 6 months and 26 days. Best of luck to all who are in the process.

Congratulations! :)

Congratulations. Break out the champagne!!!!!! A long hard journey but worth it in the end.

A quick question. Is it possible to cancel your visa at the one stop service center (Chamchuri) or do I have to go to Chaengwattana?

I'd give Chamchuri a go if you were previously BOI endorsed. My wife turned up at 10am to CW to cancel her visa and didn't get out till 4.30pm. If you can avoid that I would!

Many congrats. If by chance you have kids don't forget to get the tabieen baan people to change your nationality on the kids records. My wife had to show her foreign passport to get our daughters passports done recently as the kids TB said that the mother was foriegn. Thai ID didn't cut it!

A quick question. Is it possible to cancel your visa at the one stop service center (Chamchuri) or do I have to go to Chaengwattana?

I'd give Chamchuri a go if you were previously BOI endorsed. My wife turned up at 10am to CW to cancel her visa and didn't get out till 4.30pm. If you can avoid that I would!

Unfortunately, I am not BOI. Just ordinary company. Last year was my first time at Chamchuri. Prior to that I always extended at CW based on marriage. I may just pop in to check. My office is quite close.

Dear Friends,

The application process for Thai Citizenship in my case went as follows without PR as per new Law & Regulation:

May 2009/2552 - My application was successfully lodged at SB, police headquarter, along with Thai language interview

July 2009/2552 - Called for interview at McDonald (Amarin Plaza)

January - 2010/2553 - Sent my application to MOI for processing and approval by SB

Waited

Waited

Waited

September 2013/2556 - MOI called to submit more documents of work permit to show the continuity of work

November 2013/2556 - MOI interview. Got interviewed in Thai about my circumstances. Just simple interview

Waited

April 2014/2557 - Got a letter to notify that I passed and approved by Sub-Committee

Waited

December 2014/2557 - Approved by Big Committee

Waited

June 2015/2558 - Got the news that the Interior Minister had approved my application

Waited

September 2015/2558 - Got the good news that the King had countersigned my application. Got the letter to notify

Late September - Went to take Oath at SB (Police HQ)

Waited

Waited

January 2016/2559 - Announced in RG for getting Thai Nationality

February 2016/2559 - Went to SB to collect Certificate and Documents. Paid Fee Baht 500 for Certificate

Went to District Office for an appointment along with certificate, documents and 6 one and half inch photographs

Late February - Got my Thai National ID Card along with registered the name in Blue book. In 08.30 AM Out 10.00 AM from District office. It was quick as they prepared all my documents in advance

Now I am Thai Citizen

Total time taken - From May 2009/2552 to February 2016/2559 = 6 year 9 months

Golden Rules:

1. Be Patient, Be Patient and Be Patient

2. Keep calling MOI/DOPA/BORA/SB at regular intervals to tell them you are still alive and waiting for your turn to be Thai citizen

Cheers and Good Luck to all of you

Finally entered in my son's house registration and got my ID card today. Arrived at the District Office at 9 am and got in the house registration by midday. Documents passed to ID section, which was going to put me off for a few days, but I successfully pleaded to their common decency and got my ID card at 3:15 pm, which included a 2 hour break for me to go home and have lunch.

Total period from submission of application with SB to getting ID card, including today, 3 years, 8 months and 25 days (1365 days).

Finally entered in my son's house registration and got my ID card today. Arrived at the District Office at 9 am and got in the house registration by midday. Documents passed to ID section, which was going to put me off for a few days, but I successfully pleaded to their common decency and got my ID card at 3:15 pm, which included a 2 hour break for me to go home and have lunch.

Total period from submission of application with SB to getting ID card, including today, 3 years, 8 months and 25 days (1365 days).

Congratulations Garry. About the same thing happened to me at the district office. Kept an appointment with the tabian baan section at 9.00am, which I assumed included the ID card. Took nearly all morning there being interviewed filling in forms etc, then they told me to go to the other side of the glass partition to apply for my ID card. The ID card section said they were a separate department in no way bound by the appointment I had made with their colleagues. The person who knew the process for new citizens was on holiday and a sulky faced woman told me to go away and come back another day, taking another day off work, when she would be back. Fortunately another lady took pity and volunteered to figure out the process but I was told to go away for two hours over their lunch bread, right in front of the sign saying they don't close for lunch. Came and was interviewed again in the ID section asking the same questions and filled in more forms with the same information as in the tabian baan section, including hard things like addresses of all siblings in Thai script! Finally got everything sorted at 4.00pm after 7 hours. A great sense of victory.

It took me 4 years and 10 months, including 6 months needed to correct a mistake in my application made by SB and resubmit it to the MoI and the hiatus between the dissolution of parliament by Yingluck and the formation of the Prayut government, during which time there was no minister to sign my final approval and have it published in the RG. Others I have known have taken from 18 months to 11 years. The current government seems to have been speeding up the process and introducing a bit more transparency and predictability in place of the opacity and randomness favoured the MoI staff. This is likely to be short-lived. I assume that things will revert to norm under a political government.

One of the problems is the interview system required by the Nationality Act that requires an interview panel comprised of representatives of 15 government agencies, of which the majority, or 8, are departments of the MoI. It is quite tedious for these people to trek out to Lamlukka to spend a whole day interviewing and, apart from one person who is secretary to the panel and head of the nationality section, the process is nothing to do with their day-to-day work. If they can't get a quorum, they can't go ahead with the interview date. Without amending the Act it is impossible to come up with a faster way of screening applicants. Then there is the problem that the law leaves the final decision up to the discretion of the minister without imposing a time limit. Some ministers have refused to sign any applications, or only a select few, during their tenures.

Archived