Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'd like to know what are ALL the requirements now for applying Thai citizenship, a lot of websites state that you need PR, but somebody here said you don't need it as per new laws, so now I'm having a hard time believing which piece of info is correct.

Hello, I'd like to know what are ALL the requirements now for applying Thai citizenship, a lot of websites state that you need PR, but somebody here said you don't need it as per new laws, so now I'm having a hard time believing which piece of info is correct.

If you are married to a Thai citizen, you do not need PR; otherwise, you do.

• Like 1

What 'jamesthailand' said.

I applied in 2009. Using the Yellow Tabien Ban and being married to a Thai national. No PR in my case. I obtained my Naturalisation Certificate at the end of February 2016.

Not new. PR has not been required since the nationality act was amended in 2008 if married to a Thai.

A bit of good luck in my application. Visited my condo for a few days, taking stuff down to my car to travel home, noticed piece of paper in my post office box, Office says registered letter arrived. Went to office to collect it, it is from police, staff "ha ha you jumped a red light", Open it it is from SB telling me my application has been approved by ministry and the king and to come and make oath within seven days or they will be a significant delays. Want there next day.

Hurrah, all,formalities completed, just wait for announcement. Never thought it would happen.

Congratulations!

For your information. For me the time between The Oath and the announcement in the Royal Gazette was 3 months and 23 days.

A bit of good luck in my application. Visited my condo for a few days, taking stuff down to my car to travel home, noticed piece of paper in my post office box, Office says registered letter arrived. Went to office to collect it, it is from police, staff "ha ha you jumped a red light", Open it it is from SB telling me my application has been approved by ministry and the king and to come and make oath within seven days or they will be a significant delays. Want there next day.

Hurrah, all,formalities completed, just wait for announcement. Never thought it would happen.

How long from submitting the application?

I can submit in 2017 as soon as my pnd 91 is done.

It varies from person to person. I was one of the lucky few (unlucky in other respects but that is a different story) in terms of time frame. I submitted my application in 2012 and received citizenship in less than 4 years. Things have however sped up under the current regime.

I am waiting for a call from SB to come and pick up the certificate which is prepared by the Ministry of the Interior. I understand it is something you could hand on your wall if you so desired. I called a month ago but they still hadn't arrived.

• Like 2

If I remember rightly it is seven years since my application was approved by the SB

It varies from person to person. I was one of the lucky few (unlucky in other respects but that is a different story) in terms of time frame. I submitted my application in 2012 and received citizenship in less than 4 years. Things have however sped up under the current regime.

I am waiting for a call from SB to come and pick up the certificate which is prepared by the Ministry of the Interior. I understand it is something you could hand on your wall if you so desired. I called a month ago but they still hadn't arrived.

Is that certificate you're waiting for something super special different than the certificate we received with the other papers in February 2016, GaryP?

Is that certificate you're waiting for something super special different than the certificate we received with the other papers in February 2016, GaryP?

No. It is a typed up copy of the Royal Gazette in which you name appears. I understand but am not absolutely sure that it is something presented to each successful applicant as a formal souvenir.

No. It is a typed up copy of the Royal Gazette in which you name appears. I understand but am not absolutely sure that it is something presented to each successful applicant as a formal souvenir.

I was told to keep my copy of the Royal Gazette, as evidence that may be asked for in the future, so it's more than a souvenir.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to hear what documents new citizens have updated and the hoops they have been put through to get it done.

So far I have updated all my bank accounts, mutual fund accounts, single credit card and health insurance coverage through the company. All straight forward so far, although Bangkok Bank took longer than I expected to do the accounts.

My Social Security is in the process of being updated. Still need to update my tax payer's ID, motorcycle insurance and registration and driving license.

TIP: Do not update your The 1 Card with Central if you have an expats one. The expat The 1 Card provides a 5 percent discount that you would not get if you had a card issued to Thais.

I'm sure there will be other things I have missed but that is all I can think of so far.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to hear what documents new citizens have updated and the hoops they have been put through to get it done.

So far I have updated all my bank accounts, mutual fund accounts, single credit card and health insurance coverage through the company. All straight forward so far, although Bangkok Bank took longer than I expected to do the accounts.

My Social Security is in the process of being updated. Still need to update my tax payer's ID, motorcycle insurance and registration and driving license.

TIP: Do not update your The 1 Card with Central if you have an expats one. The expat The 1 Card provides a 5 percent discount that you would not get if you had a card issued to Thais.

I'm sure there will be other things I have missed but that is all I can think of so far.

Is ther any significant disadvantage in leaving things as they are? Any legal implications?

The Platinum M Card for Thai people gets you between 5% discount (Food) and 20% discount (some household goods).

Your tax ID won't change if you were a PR before you became a citizen. The citizen number on your ID card is used as your tax ID and was issued to you when you became a PR.

One of the requirements for applying is having lived in Thailand continuously, does this mean the applicant must not have gone to another country for five years?

No

Can travel for sure. Other guys will know better, but I would assume you need to meet the residency requirements ( ie in many countries > 180 days / yr )

One of the requirements for applying is having lived in Thailand continuously, does this mean the applicant must not have gone to another country for five years?

I think it relates to having a continuous record of "extensions of stay" and possession of a WP associated with continuous employment.

There are others here who will correct me if I am in error

• 3 weeks later...

I think it relates to having a continuous record of "extensions of stay" and possession of a WP associated with continuous employment.

There are others here who will correct me if I am in error

The requirements are 3 years of having a Work Permit and paying tax on a salary over 40k baht if married to a Thai.

It must be continuous.

Regarding the continuous part. I have worked and paid taxes in the past 3 years (24 months from middle of 2014 to middle 2016). I no longer have a work permit as of 1 month ago until I finish setting up my company later this year. Any ideas if I would have success with submitting the paperwork next year after I get my 3rd tax return (taxes paid exceed the 40k baht monthly minimum even when only looking at partial years)??

Regarding the continuous part. I have worked and paid taxes in the past 3 years (24 months from middle of 2014 to middle 2016). I no longer have a work permit as of 1 month ago until I finish setting up my company later this year. Any ideas if I would have success with submitting the paperwork next year after I get my 3rd tax return (taxes paid exceed the 40k baht monthly minimum even when only looking at partial years)??

It is quite explicit about the work permit part. Open up your company get a new work permit and start counting again.

• Like 1

If going the way of being married to a Thai, does the time you've had the yellow book count for anything? I've even heard I don't need one to apply. However, I would prefer to have one. I have had one in another province for many years. Rather than travel a long way, I could throw it in the bin and apply for another one in my new province, where I want to apply from. Does this sound like a wise idea?

If going the way of being married to a Thai, does the time you've had the yellow book count for anything? I've even heard I don't need one to apply. However, I would prefer to have one. I have had one in another province for many years. Rather than travel a long way, I could throw it in the bin and apply for another one in my new province, where I want to apply from. Does this sound like a wise idea?

A far as I know you must be on yellow book for 3 years when you apply.

You cannot jut throw away your current yellow book. You have to get a new one by formally moving out from the residence it was issued for and getting a new one for your new residence. The new one will have the same ID number as the old one.

You could then show both books when you apply.

• Like 1

You cannot jut throw away your current yellow book. You have to get a new one by formally moving out from the residence it was issued for and getting a new one for your new residence. The new one will have the same ID number as the old one.

When my wife and I moved house we changed both our tabian baan books at the same time - went to the district office for our new place, and they told us that we needed to 'move out' of our old place at the local district office for where it was, first. So we did that and then went back to the district office for our new place, where they gave us the new ones. Total cost was 40 THB.

When I applied for citizenship in December (still waiting), I showed them both my current and previous tabian baan books, and they counted up the cumulative time of both books for the points.

• Like 1

When my wife and I moved house we changed both our tabian baan books at the same time - went to the district office for our new place, and they told us that we needed to 'move out' of our old place at the local district office for where it was, first. So we did that and then went back to the district office for our new place, where they gave us the new ones. Total cost was 40 THB.

When I applied for citizenship in December (still waiting), I showed them both my current and previous tabian baan books, and they counted up the cumulative time of both books for the points.

Thanks Ubonjoe and SWW, this is very helpful.

The list of documents I was told to have by Special Branch didn't actually have the Yellow Book but I will check again about that.

how would someone go about changing their status from Chonburi to Bangkok for the purpose of applying in Bangkok?

You would have to find somebody with a house book for Bangkok that would allow you to get a yellow book based upon theirs or if on PR be entered in the their house book.

• Like 1