Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

38 minutes ago, Arkady said:

No need to quote the entire OP post.  Singing the National and Royal Anthems and knowledge of spoken Thai are required, if you apply on the basis of permanent residence but not, if you apply on the basis of having a Thai spouse.   The spoken Thai doesn't need to be excellent, if you apply on the basis of PR.  You just need to be able to speak and understand to an intermediate level.  Reading and writing is not required.  Some people who applied on the basis of having a Thai spouse have got citizenship without being able to speak and understand more than a few words of Thai.      

Can you have dual citizenship? Can you become a member of a political party in Thailand? How does it feel becoming a Thai citizen?

You can have dual citizenship, but it is on a “don’t ask don’t tell” basis. You must never use your original citizenship for anything in Thailand.

You can vote like any other Thai citizen starting five years after naturalization.

You cannot stand for public office, but I don’t know about joining a political party. I believe it would not be a problem as long as you did not stand for election, but I can’t think of any good reason you’d want to get involved with politics.

Being a Thai citizen gives a very satisfying feeling of security and freedom!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

You can have dual citizenship, but it is on a “don’t ask don’t tell” basis. You must never use your original citizenship for anything in Thailand.

You can vote like any other Thai citizen starting five years after naturalization.

You cannot stand for public office, but I don’t know about joining a political party. I believe it would not be a problem as long as you did not stand for election, but I can’t think of any good reason you’d want to get involved with politics.

Being a Thai citizen gives a very satisfying feeling of security and freedom!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Is there a quota system in the awarding of Thai citizenship? Is there a ceremony or is it just official like getting a new passport? Do you get a Thai name? ( Not intending to sound silly)

31 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Is there a quota system in the awarding of Thai citizenship? Is there a ceremony or is it just official like getting a new passport? Do you get a Thai name? ( Not intending to sound silly)

No quota for citizenship. You make an oath of allegiance at an individual ceremony before you are approved and receive your naturalisation certificate in the national police HQ office where you applied with a handshake and a photograph usually.  There is no formal group ceremony and anyway you are legally Thai the moment your name is published in the Royal Gazette a couple of months before you receive the certificate.  Adopting a Thai name used to be required but nowadays it is optional. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Is there compulsory military service in Thailand? Will you be over the age now? 

Only for those that are Thai from birth are subject to conscription at the age of 21 up to a max age of 30. A naturalized Thai is not subject to it.

• Thanks 1

Only for those that are Thai from birth are subject to conscription at the age of 21 up to a max age of 30. A naturalized Thai is not subject to it.

Ubonjoe, are you sure that a naturalized thai is not subject to national service? As in my case, I intend to apply for Thai citizenship as soon as I become eligible. I m on PR currently with foreign wife and kids whom I will apply together. I m worried that after getting citizenship, my kids may have to undergo national service.

7 hours ago, sas_cars said:

Ubonjoe, are you sure that a naturalized thai is not subject to national service? As in my case, I intend to apply for Thai citizenship as soon as I become eligible. I m on PR currently with foreign wife and kids whom I will apply together. I m worried that after getting citizenship, my kids may have to undergo national service.

It has been discussed before. It was researched by another person and the law for military service states only a Thai by birth is subject to conscription. I suspect it was written that way because it of a concern for how loyal a naturalized citizen would be.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It has been discussed before. It was researched by another person and the law for military service states only a Thai by birth is subject to conscription. I suspect it was written that way because it of a concern for how loyal a naturalized citizen would be.

Thanks for the confirmation. Such a big relief !

5 minutes ago, sas_cars said:

Thanks for the confirmation. Such a big relief !

Just out of curiosity, why is it such a big relief? Lets say you had to do some military service what harm is there in it? You might even qualify for some pension. 

22 hours ago, Arkady said:

No need to quote the entire OP post.  Singing the National and Royal Anthems and knowledge of spoken Thai are required, if you apply on the basis of permanent residence but not, if you apply on the basis of having a Thai spouse.   The spoken Thai doesn't need to be excellent, if you apply on the basis of PR.  You just need to be able to speak and understand to an intermediate level.  Reading and writing is not required.  Some people who applied on the basis of having a Thai spouse have got citizenship without being able to speak and understand more than a few words of Thai.      

Very interesting infos you guys are giving out in this thread, maybe you should edit that in the first post somehow so the info is easily accessible for others?

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Actually the 1954 Military Service Act does not specify that citizens must be Thai from birth or  provide any specific exemption for naturalised Thais.  It clearly states that all males with Thai nationality have an obligation to do military service.  There are various exemptions for monks, convicts, teachers, Ror Tor reservists etc only.

The vast majority of naturalised Thai males avoid military service because they are over the age of 30 when they get their citizenship.  However, it is worth noting that  minor male children who tag along with their fathers' citizenship applications are not exempted and are liable to conscription.

2 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Actually the 1954 Military Service Act does not specify that citizens must be Thai from birth or  provide any specific exemption for naturalised Thais.  It clearly states that all males with Thai nationality have an obligation to do military service.  There are various exemptions for monks, convicts, teachers, Ror Tor reservists etc only.

I can recall other posts stating they were not subject to conscription. Perhaps there are orders or such under the act that clarifies it. It might be that someone inquired about it but I don't remember exactly.

3 hours ago, Arkady said:

The vast majority of naturalised Thai males avoid military service because they are over the age of 30 when they get their citizenship.  However, it is worth noting that  minor male children who tag along with their fathers' citizenship applications are not exempted and are liable to conscription.

This post popped my bubble of joy for my kids being exempted from national service.  lol. seems there's no clear answer on this subject.

6 minutes ago, sas_cars said:

This post popped my bubble of joy for my kids being exempted from national service.  lol. seems there's no clear answer on this subject.

Please let me ask you this. Your kids would not be considered native speakers of English right because of their Thai nationality? 

Edited by Aditi Sharma
correction

Hi all, is an oath step required for all applicants?

Back to old days I remember that I was told by SB officer that the oath and singing an antherm is not required for the applicants applied on the basis of having a Thai spouse. They got themselves published on RG once the committee approved them and the minister+King countersigned that. No oath, no karaoke. :)

That I was told verbally, while on the initial steps @SB, something like 7 years back. Can someone confirm this?

11 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

At what stage is this required? Is it after the initial application and interview?

It think it has to be with your application. Shown here on the list of requirements.

7. Applicants should produce a document that they have submitted to their
embassy or consulate in Thailand that demonstrates their intention to renounce
their existing citizenship when they are approved for Thai citizenship.

On 9/28/2017 at 12:24 PM, Big Guns said:

I've just been informed by Special Branch that I can pick up my documents and get my Thai ID card next week. Woo hoo  :smile:

Congrats! I can't picture myself the day this will happen. Just singing the anthems at SB and registering a Thai name at the district this month have put me into excitement (and I'm at early stages). 

16 minutes ago, thunder18 said:

Hi all, is an oath step required for all applicants?

Back to old days I remember that I was told by SB officer that the oath and singing an antherm is not required for the applicants applied on the basis of having a Thai spouse. They got themselves published on RG once the committee approved them and the minister+King countersigned that. No oath, no karaoke. :)

That I was told verbally, while on the initial steps @SB, something like 7 years back. Can someone confirm this?

Nationality Act Section 12 (regarding procedure for naturalisation) para 3: ".... After Royal approval, the applicant shall swear an oath of allegiance to Thailand."

Since it is very clearly stated in the Nationality Act which they know like the backs of their hands , with due respect, it is highly unlikely that an SB officer would have told anyone that the oath was not required by applicants for naturalisation. 

It is not required by applicants applying on the basis of having a male spouse but that is not considered as naturalisation,  It is considered as adopting the Thai nationality of one's husband.  Perhaps that is how the confusion arose.       

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

it is highly unlikely that an SB officer would have told anyone that the oath was not required by applicants for naturalisation. 

Thanks.

Maybe I simply mistaken that, or forgot something due to several years passed. However I was not asked to sing the anthem - not while at SB during the appliance, nor anytime after - till today.