Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

6 hours ago, qualtrough said:

1. For the 80,000 baht deposit requirement, I assume some kind of long term deposit is required. Is that correct? Any advice on that front?

We need a mere THB 80,000 deposit? I think I have "oversaved", especially on my LTF...

I thought we need a monthly salary of at least THB 80,000. Well, I haven't been to SB yet to get the list of requirements.

6 hours ago, onthemoon said:

We need a mere THB 80,000 deposit? I think I have "oversaved", especially on my LTF...

I thought we need a monthly salary of at least THB 80,000. Well, I haven't been to SB yet to get the list of requirements.

Dont get confused this just the bank letter. There are other salary requirements based on how you're applying which will be reflected on your tax returns.

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

Dont get confused this just the bank letter. There are other salary requirements based on how you're applying which will be reflected on your tax returns.

OK, I see. I'll have to get the list from SB soon.

On 06/10/2017 at 10:55 PM, onthemoon said:

Better not to mention this to the guys having to scrabble together their B800,000 deposits seasoned for 3 months, or B1,600,000 for couples, for annual retirement extension renewals.

But the logic is that you are working which makes sense. Not to mention, of course, that citizens are eligible for the B600 a month old age allowance at 60 and can get into the universal health care scheme.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Better not to mention this to the guys having to scrabble together their B800,000 deposits seasoned for 3 months, or B1,600,000 for couples, for annual retirement extension renewals.

But the logic is that you are working which makes sense. Not to mention, of course, that citizens are eligible for the B600 a month old age allowance at 60 and can get into the universal health care scheme.

Wow, so in 1 year I can get back the cost of Citizenship!

3 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Safer to make it 5,000. IMHO

Actually I did it in several so as to reduce the risk of it being seen as just an attempt to qualify.  I was told that a single donation a couple of months before applying would not be seen favorably. Also I did not make it exactly 5k combined. It was a bit more.

I had previously made donations but never kept the receipts as I wasn't thinking about citizenship at that time.

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Actually I did it in several so as to reduce the risk of it being seen as just an attempt to qualify.  I was told that a single donation a couple of months before applying would not be seen favorably. Also I did not make it exactly 5k combined. It was a bit more.

I had previously made donations but never kept the receipts as I wasn't thinking about citizenship at that time.

Actually, I made it 3 separate donations over 3 years, one being 5k.

So my wife is now communicating with an SB officer on LINE. He says there is a waiting list but will try to make an appointment for October. I can't understand how there is a waiting list. I thought anyone can walk in and apply. He's saying there is a waiting list of five people.

Should she keep asking him or just wait?

4 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

He says there is a waiting list but will try to make an appointment for October. I can't understand how there is a waiting list. I thought anyone can walk in and apply.

From what I experienced, anyone can walk in with his prepared documents and have an officer assigned to start checking your documents. However and unless you have the perfect application, from that first contact to the completion of your application there will be some weeks -if not months- as you'll be required minor changes or additions, until an appointment will be made to schedule you into one of the SB interview days (these are perhaps the days when the 5 officers and the two bosses must be present, and I guess they are scheduled regularly). This has been my own experience, I applied in April, visited SB on several occasions to bring documents and amendments, and I got my SB interview with my spouse and witnesses in September. Now I must admit I didn't push and just waited for it knowing it would come one day. Others may have a different experience. But if there are slots for the interviews, it makes sense to have a waiting list assuming dozens of new applicants come in each month.

1 hour ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

From what I experienced, anyone can walk in with his prepared documents and have an officer assigned to start checking your documents. However and unless you have the perfect application, from that first contact to the completion of your application there will be some weeks -if not months- as you'll be required minor changes or additions, until an appointment will be made to schedule you into one of the SB interview days (these are perhaps the days when the 5 officers and the two bosses must be present, and I guess they are scheduled regularly). This has been my own experience, I applied in April, visited SB on several occasions to bring documents and amendments, and I got my SB interview with my spouse and witnesses in September. Now I must admit I didn't push and just waited for it knowing it would come one day. Others may have a different experience. But if there are slots for the interviews, it makes sense to have a waiting list assuming dozens of new applicants come in each month.

Thanks. By 2 witnesses, do you mean the Thais that gave you the character reference?

1 minute ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

The two Thai people that will certify your personality and assets (by signing the application with you). They hare required to fill a form and provide some basic information too (ID, house registration, job, salary).

They've filled in the forms already. I didn't know they were required to be there.

I don't have a yellow Tabian Bahn so I checked with the Amphur and they gave me a checklist for obtaining a yellow copy and a pink ID card as follows:

(my translations)

1. Verified copy of marriage certificate x 1 copy

2. Passport, birth certificate with translation certified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs x 1 copy

3. Residence Certificate? (หนังสือรับร้องถิ่นที่อยู่)

4. Photos x 3

5. ID card and house registration of person making application (1 copy)

6. Two witnesses with their ID cards and house registrations

Two questions:

1. Regarding the residence certificate: Is this the TM18 residence certificate they require, available on application at the Immigration department? TM18

2. Am I correct in assuming that the ID card and house registration will be my wife's? Otherwise it is kind of a catch 22.

I have searched the forum and found some info on this but didn't find a clear answer.

46 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

1. Regarding the residence certificate: Is this the TM18 residence certificate they require, available on application at the Immigration department? TM18

2. Am I correct in assuming that the ID card and house registration will be my wife's? Otherwise it is kind of a catch 22.

1. It is the same form used to get a certificate of residence to get a driver's license. Application For Certificate Of Residency

You will need 2 photos to get it at your local immigration office.

2. Yes it will if she has a house book for where you are living. The house master shown in the blue book must give permission for you to get the yellow book.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. It is the same form used to get a certificate of residence to get a driver's license. Application For Certificate Of Residency

You will need 2 photos to get it at your local immigration office.

2. Yes it will if she has a house book for where you are living. The house master shown in the blue book must give permission for you to get the yellow book.

Thanks. Been so long since I have had a driver's licence I forgot about that.

What kind of evidence do you need to provide for that? Is there a checklist?

Thanks for confirming the tabian baan issue too.

6 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

What kind of evidence do you need to provide for that? Is there a checklist?

No checklist that I know of since it varies from office to office.

Since you are on extensions of stay most offices would only want your passport and the form. 

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No checklist that I know of since it varies from office to office.

Since you are on extensions of stay most offices would only want your passport and the form. 

Thanks! I will report back once I go see about that.

I have read through this thread and others and am hopelessly confused about the doc translation/certification requirements. I hope some kind person can provide me with the most recent information:

I have original copies of my diplomas and other docs that I believe need to be translated. Do I need to visit my embassy and have those attested at something like $80 a pop and then translated, or will a translation by an outfit like Siam Translation be accepted?

Also, I believe I need a translation of my passport for my certificate of residence and then tabian bahn application. Can I bring that down to the MFA on Chaeng Wattana, or do I have to have it translated elsewhere and then brought to the MFA?

I do plan on going down to the SB again son, but just would like to learn about what others have experienced in this regard. 

3 hours ago, qualtrough said:

I have read through this thread and others and am hopelessly confused about the doc translation/certification requirements. I hope some kind person can provide me with the most recent information:

Since the application process is personalized, that some of us had various experiences and that requirements on this matter seem to have evolved over the years, I think the most efficient and cost saving way, if you live around Bangkok, is to gather all originals and raw documents -without photocopy, translation, certification- and go to meet the officers at SB. They'll go through the list with you, and can tell you exactly what level is required for each item (including guidelines regarding the translation aspect).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, qualtrough said:

I have original copies of my diplomas and other docs that I believe need to be translated. Do I need to visit my embassy and have those attested at something like $80 a pop and then translated, or will a translation by an outfit like Siam Translation be accepted?

They accepted mine from Siam -  600 baht for each one.

4 hours ago, qualtrough said:

Also, I believe I need a translation of my passport for my certificate of residence and then tabian bahn application. Can I bring that down to the MFA on Chaeng Wattana, or do I have to have it translated elsewhere and then brought to the MFA?

I never needed a translation of my passport.

On 10/4/2017 at 1:11 PM, sas_cars said:

Yes that's what I dread too. I got PR in 2015, so I will only be eligible in 2020, long after this government has come to an end. Must say that the people who got eligible during this government are so lucky, they get their applications fast tracked at rocket speed.

I am in the same boat as you.  It took me 8 years to get my PR.  waiting for 2020 to be eligible for citizenship application.  by then new government and back to the old days of 5-10 years for citizenship applications. 

On 10/10/2017 at 3:19 PM, MrPatrickThai said:

I never needed a translation of my passport.

The checklist from the Lumlukka Amphur has a specific line stating that passport and birth certificate must be authenticated by the MFA along with one copy of each.

So today I went down to the MFA there only to discover that first I need to get those translated and then have the embassy certify them in some way, and then bring them to the MFA.

I am not even sure if I have that right, nothing in writing.

At first I thought I need to get them translated, bring to the embassy for their approval (how?) and then bring to the MFA. But now I am wondering about that because how is the embassy going to verify that the Thai translation is correct? Or is it merely an embassy affidavit that they have seen those docs?

Anyone being able to clarify this procedure?

My head is done in today. Spent 7seven hours sitting in a taxi riding around town collecting various docs. I consider myself lucky that I was able to obtain most of what I needed.

Just a head's up. When you collect any document check to make sure it is correct and/or translated correctly. Today I went to get a certificate of residence at the local Immigration office and when I got back in my taxi took a look at it and discovered that they had transposed two numbers in my address. I took it back and they fixed it. If I had not caught it that would have meant three extra trips and several hours: One wasted trip to the Amphur to find out it was wrong. 2. Wasted trip to Immigration to fix doc. 3. Wasted trip back to Amphur to present correct doc.

One more thing. I went down the Siam Translation and they charged 400 baht per document, whereas someone earlier reported 600. This was for diplomas and the like. Maybe apples/oranges?