Help with soup dumpling (English style)

Made some dumplings tonight. Mix looked really good. Recipe said drop them in liquid when simmering then cover pot and cook for 15 minutes at a simmer. Lucky I did them in a sperate pot because half of them seemed to dissolve in a gluggy liquid looked like porridge. I have had the same thing happen repeatedly with different mixes. Basically cup flour, 2 ts baking powder, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tablespoons melted butter. the mix felt the consistency of scone dough. Very pliable.

When I initially dropped them in they puffed up really nicely, looked like they should look, but gradually got worse as I cooked them. I must be doing something wrong.....too long cooking time? Putting the pot lid on? Would appreciate any help. Britman Too I am sure you will know the answer ????

I find a similar problem with lots of dishes here that require hot fat/oil. It may not be the mixture at all.  I  have put it down to the fact that I can't seem to get a high enough temperature using the bottled gas, using Thai supplied pans.  Even an electric hob here doesn't seem to produce the heat I remember in the UK.  Maybe its also something to do with a high humidity and ambient temperate in the cooking area. Sorry can't be more helpful.  

Edited by Pilotman

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I find a similar problem with lots of dishes here that require hot fat/oil. It may not be the mixture at all.  I  have put it down to the fact that I can't seem to get a high enough temperature using the bottled gas, using Thai supplied pans.  Even an electric hob here doesn't seem to produce the heat I remember in the UK.  Maybe its also something to do with a high humidity and ambient temperate in the cooking area. Sorry can't be more helpful.  

I had a problem with my oven when l was baking. It didn't get hot enough (the oven is electric),  called the technician and he came and fixed it. He said that Techno have the temperature set low at the factory.

It works fine now.

• Thanks 1

Skip the butter. Not needed for dumplings.

Also, when making the dumpling mix add as little milk as possible. The wetter the mix the worse the dumpling.

Finally,the exact amount of baking powder is critical. Too little and your dumplings will be to small and chewy. Too much and they will balloon up andbe too big.

Unfortunately,in my experience the exact measures for good results can mean as many as 5 attempts before you get the feel for it. Easy on the baking powder and ditch the butter.

An English dumpling is usually cooked for the last 15-20 minutes on the top of stew with a lid.

Use as an example 4ozs SR flour and 2ozs of suet( I use veg suet) salt & pepper and enough water to firm into as many dumplings required then put in the pot to cook.

Hope you can get suet in Thailand . Enjoy

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Denim said:

Skip the butter. Not needed for dumplings.

Also, when making the dumpling mix add as little milk as possible. The wetter the mix the worse the dumpling.

Finally,the exact amount of baking powder is critical. Too little and your dumplings will be to small and chewy. Too much and they will balloon up andbe too big.

Unfortunately,in my experience the exact measures for good results can mean as many as 5 attempts before you get the feel for it. Easy on the baking powder and ditch the butter.

That's the problem. I only make them once in a blue moon and never get a chance to develop it. So cook for 15 minutes on simmer you think? I got the feeling putting a lid on the pot didn't do them any good

some places i lived in suet was hard to get hold of. in my early years here, impossible. i use SR flour, (plain works OK too), a couple teaspoons palm oil, and seasoning. add water to get a very thick consistency. works quite well. Thais around me liked them too.

Just use self rising flour,no need to use baking powder, 

self rising flour,Atora  suet, little bit of water,mix it up,

form to dumplings, place on top of whatever you are 

cooking, boilding, place lid on top, turn down to simmer,

I have made them with butter when I have had no Atora

suet, they were OK,  in fact I am making some now,to put

in a pan of soup I am making now...

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Sorry, you got included into my reply to Ellie G by mistake.

13 hours ago, Ellie G said:

An English dumpling is usually cooked for the last 15-20 minutes on the top of stew with a lid.

Use as an example 4ozs SR flour and 2ozs of suet( I use veg suet) salt & pepper and enough water to firm into as many dumplings required then put in the pot to cook.

Hope you can get suet in Thailand . Enjoy

Atora suet is available in Lazada 

Edited by james.d
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...