Global House -VEG box IP54

carlyai

IP54 are the highest rated boxes at my Global House. They are water resistant to a certain level.

The box mounted on the right with the hinge vertical, doesn't let the rain water in. The box mounted on the left with the top horizontal hinge let's the rain water in.

Just to let you know.

20210415_101619.jpg

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

Yeah, these do seem to be intended to be mounted with the hinge vertical, the rubber seal gets the least pressure on that side.

Note that IPX4 are not really intended to be "outdoor" (it's the minimum rating we use on elevated station concourses subject to blown rain).

It's also worth noting that the requirement for each test isn't "no water ingress" it's "no harmful ingress" so if the damp gets in but misses the works and doesn't affect the operation it's just fine.

If the damp getting in is an issue a simple little "roof" to keep the main deluge off can make a massive difference. A small drain hole at the bottom can help but watch leaving access for the local wildlife.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, these do seem to be intended to be mounted with the hinge vertical, the rubber seal gets the least pressure on that side.

Note that IPX4 are not really intended to be "outdoor".

If the damp getting in is an issue a simple little "roof" to keep the main deluge off can make a massive difference. A small drain hole at the bottom can help but watch leaving access for the local wildlife.

Yes I'm going to mount a roof over the boxes. These are the highest IP rated boxes my Global sells. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

IP54 are the highest rated boxes at my Global House. They are water resistant to a certain level.

IP54 is 

5    Dust Protected    Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment; complete protection against contact.

4    Splashing water    Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect. (Note doesn't say "shall not penetrate ")

you probably want IP56 or IP66 or greater 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

IP54 is 

5    Dust Protected    Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment; complete protection against contact.

4    Splashing water    Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect. (Note doesn't say "shall not penetrate ")

you probably want IP56 or IP66 or greater 

Yes I agree, but not available where I am.

16 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

They are, just not from a local shop.

a very cursory search shows

C1736883-D01A-46F7-BDC2-C5364CC81B87.thumb.png.c909231d91f260460a36c45e3e2bcc42.png

I didn’t search beyond the first few hits, the search term was “ip66”

The point of the post was to give anyone who may purchase these boxes a 'Heads up' on not mounting them with the hinge horizontal. I think you missed that point. No rain gets in the box with the vertical hinge. 

I have some of those junction boxes you refer to but they would not fit all my gear in one of them. Suppose I could use 3 or 4 of them. ????

If I knew I was going to make several mods. I would have bought a proper rated waterproof outside CU.

Anyway, the point of the post was about the mounting of the boxes.

Let's end it there. ????

• Like 2

On 4/15/2021 at 11:05 AM, Crossy said:

Note that IPX4 are not really intended to be "outdoor" (it's the minimum rating we use on elevated station concourses subject to blown rain).

It's also worth noting that the requirement for each test isn't "no water ingress" it's "no harmful ingress" so if the damp gets in but misses the works and doesn't affect the operation it's just fine.

The damp only gets in and steams up the front cover. Have installed a roof.

• Like 2