I still don't think the sky is falling ......but

starky

On 4/19/2021 at 6:51 AM, BritManToo said:

Interesting that you feel you play some part in stopping COVID.

I would use 'they' in place of 'we' as I have no influence over anything that happens in any country.

Border controls, vaccination, travel restrictions, wearing a mask, entertainment venues open/closed .......... I have no choices in any of these things, apart to comply with the regulations imposed upon me.

Well, this fatalism and shining through of doubt that any of this works is your issue.

The choices you make *for yourself* absolutely make a difference during these times, there's no doubt about that.

On 4/19/2021 at 8:16 AM, starky said:

I keep hearing comments from people like you about death rates soaring blah blah with not one bit of scientific evidence to back it up. It was let run rampant in many countries and still the figures are as quoted.

Which countries would that be? You left out the most important part.

Look at Cambodia, former world record holder for largest nation with no deaths; B117 arrived and deaths followed immediately.

You'd have to be lobotomized not to see this. But I get it, you're a Covid-denier and facts simply don't matter for you or you find some fake news to counter them. Anyway, the Darwin award will in the future go to those thinking this is just the flu or much less severe even than the flu, as you are arguing.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mr Dome said:

Well, this fatalism and shining through of doubt that any of this works is your issue.

The choices you make *for yourself* absolutely make a difference during these times, there's no doubt about that.

I was an 'early adopter', caught COVID before we were warned from a Chinese person while at Chiangmai/Saigon airport in January 2020.

Showed signs after 3 days in Saigon while purchasing a new Thai Non-O, my misses and son also caught it from me within 3 days of my return, daughter probably but no symptoms.

I had NO choices, and nothing I do can make any difference, it's unlikely any of us will get it again.

PS. Darwin award is for people who die without progeny, if you want to use the term, might as well learn to do it properly.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure I caught it also a year ago in February, I was ill for three days in ways that I never have been before. I still have a cough one year later that has been diagnosed by three doctors as, a cough!!! At the time I was super tired, had headaches for three days and a temperature, just as I was about to visit the hospital the situation changed and I improved. A subsequent chest x-ray showed my left lung half full of fluid and the doctor wasn't even mildly concerned, one month later it was mostly clear. I'm pretty sure that episode must have been covid related, I know how I get sick and I never got sick like that before.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 6:42 AM, BritManToo said:

I was an 'early adopter', caught COVID before we were warned from a Chinese person while at Chiangmai/Saigon airport in January 2020.

Showed signs after 3 days in Saigon while purchasing a new Thai Non-O, my misses and son also caught it from me within 3 days of my return, daughter probably but no symptoms.

I had NO choices, and nothing I do can make any difference, it's unlikely any of us will get it again.

PS. Darwin award is for people who die without progeny, if you want to use the term, might as well learn to do it properly.

Still no answer, which countries you were talking about that just let Covid run free.

In January of 2020 there were no tests yet for SARS-COV2. You may think you've had it but you don't have any proof. You had no choice then because we really didn't know much back then. It's a whole new world now.

I agree that Darwin Award doesn't quite fit because it characterizes people who do very unfortunate things to themselves unintentionally and that doesn't fit for the Covid-deniers & anti-vaxxers obviously.  The result is the same though.

23 minutes ago, Mr Dome said:

I agree that Darwin Award doesn't quite fit because it characterizes people who do very unfortunate things to themselves unintentionally and that doesn't fit for the Covid-deniers & anti-vaxxers obviously.  The result is the same though.

I've had 5 children, 4 of whom are already adults, so not eligible for Darwin award.

Can't be accused of being a COVID denier as I'm claiming I already had it.

Edited by BritManToo

So many people claim or believe they have already had Covid-19....  While the Antibody test isn’t considered a highly accurate test, it would be interesting to actually know results and see whether or not Covid-19 has already swept through society / Thailand. 

That said, the variants of concern are of concern because it is believed they have:

- The ability to evade natural immunity (e.g., causing reinfections)

- The ability to infect vaccinated individuals

Thus, it is reported that if someone has had Covid-19 of a previous variant there may be no natural immunity to new variants (as noted on Wiki - link below) - I hope this is wrong. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variants_of_SARS-CoV-2

• Like 2

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

So many people claim or believe they have already had Covid-19....  While the Antibody test isn’t considered a highly accurate test, it would be interesting to actually know results and see whether or not Covid-19 has already swept through society / Thailand. 

That said, the variants of concern are of concern because it is believed they have:

- The ability to evade natural immunity (e.g., causing reinfections)

Thus, it is reported that if someone has had Covid-19 of a previous variant there may be no natural immunity to new variants (as noted on Wiki - link below) - I hope this is wrong. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variants_of_SARS-CoV-2

I have met a few falangs around in Thailand claiming they had the covid, but none of them had done any test or had any other proof. 

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then again this was always the case or a possibility & is why some catch things after being vaccinated for anything.

It is why they give "annual" flu vaccines & not a one time vaccine as they constantly update their vaccine for new mutations

Also for the most part these shots/vaccines are to lessen impact of viruses not impart total immunity to them

Lastly why some folks get so upset with folks who do not take a vaccine is beyond me especially with this new

Covid Vaccine that has not gone thru long term trials.

After all ......Any Clinical Trial (such as this) needs both sides those that take the vaccine are the clinical Trial....

Remember due to the rush no long term trial was actually done

Those that do not are called the control group

Both sides are needed for factual proof

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2021 at 6:42 AM, BritManToo said:

To recap: you think you got it in January 2020 before there was a test available, you got sick, and now you are convinced that Covid-19 is not a big deal. Oh yeah, you think you are immune because of your “exposure” in January 2020.

It is very likely you caught the flu.

I was in Chiang Mai in January 2020. I also flew out of Ho Chi Minh airport in January 2020, took a cruise with a bunch of tourists from China, and was sick later for a month. Of course, there was no Covid-19 test at that time.

But, I did go for an antibody test later in the year. No Covid antibodies. I didn’t have Covid.

If every Farang in Thailand who thinks they had Covid in 2020 had a real case, the official numbers would double.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meechai said:

Then again this was always the case or a possibility & is why some catch things after being vaccinated for anything.

It is why they give "annual" flu vaccines & not a one time vaccine as they constantly update their vaccine for new mutations

Also for the most part these shots/vaccines are to lessen impact of viruses not impart total immunity to them

Lastly why some folks get so upset with folks who do not take a vaccine is beyond me especially with this new

Covid Vaccine that has not gone thru long term trials.

After all ......Any Clinical Trial (such as this) needs both sides those that take the vaccine are the clinical Trial....

Remember due to the rush no long term trial was actually done

Those that do not are called the control group

Both sides are needed for factual proof

One reason some get upset if you refuse the jab, is we won't reach herd immunity quickly unless a vast majority get the vaccine.  Not to mention, it allows the virus to mutate easier.  Like is happening in India.

Sadly, we're all in this together.  And we all need to get the vaccine.  Or at least as many of us that can given health considerations.

This new variant in South America is scary.  It's attacking younger people and seems to be more deadly. 

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

One reason some get upset if you refuse the jab, is we won't reach herd immunity quickly unless a vast majority get the vaccine. 

Herd immunity occurs when a large portion of a community (the herd) becomes immune to a disease

Since the covid vaccine does not provide immunity your destined to be disappointed

Not to mention the fact refusing the jab will always be a choice in a free world...Thanks

2 hours ago, meechai said:

Herd immunity occurs when a large portion of a community (the herd) becomes immune to a disease

Since the covid vaccine does not provide immunity your destined to be disappointed

Not to mention the fact refusing the jab will always be a choice in a free world...Thanks

Do some research on credible websites. You'll find out that herd immunity can't be reached without a vaccine. Especially considering all the mutations now.

Stunning. And selfish.

18 hours ago, meechai said:

You don’t understand how vaccines work, and you are confused by the word “immunity”. 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2021 at 12:59 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

What makes you think it can be eradicated? I very much doubt it can be.

Most Covid Deniers ignore the large numbers of Covid survivors who have long term symptoms. 

You need some stats / link with that or it's just your opinion.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-tragedy-of-the-post-covid-long-haulers-2020101521173

"Tens of thousands of people in the United States have lingering illness following COVID-19. In the US, we call them post-COVID “long haulers.” Currently, the condition they are suffering from is known as “long COVID,” although other names are being proposed.

Published studies (see here and here) and surveys conducted by patient groups indicate that 50% to 80% of patients continue to have bothersome symptoms three months after the onset of COVID-19 — even after tests no longer detect virus in their body."

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, cdemundo said:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-tragedy-of-the-post-covid-long-haulers-2020101521173

"Tens of thousands of people in the United States have lingering illness following COVID-19. In the US, we call them post-COVID “long haulers.” Currently, the condition they are suffering from is known as “long COVID,” although other names are being proposed.

Published studies (see here and here) and surveys conducted by patient groups indicate that 50% to 80% of patients continue to have bothersome symptoms three months after the onset of COVID-19 — even after tests no longer detect virus in their body."

Something that the covid deniers don't think about. My friend suffered for months after he got it. Brain fog and problems breathing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/30/2021 at 6:30 PM, Tagged said:

I have met a few falangs around in Thailand claiming they had the covid, but none of them had done any test or had any other proof. 

Apparently loss of taste and smell is a symptom. Can any that think they had it confirm that please?

17 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Something that the covid deniers don't think about. My friend suffered for months after he got it. Brain fog and problems breathing.

I've had brain fog and problems breathing for many years. One would need to medically confirm it's caused by corona before claiming it's a consequence of corona.

Obesity causes many problems and apparently obese people are more likely to catch corona.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've had brain fog and problems breathing for many years. One would need to medically confirm it's caused by corona before claiming it's a consequence of corona.

Obesity causes many problems and apparently obese people are more likely to catch corona.

Brain fog and problems breathing are well documented effects of long covid.  But I'm sure you know that.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Apparently loss of taste and smell is a symptom. Can any that think they had it confirm that please?

I have no interest to speak with people who claim they had covid, and at same time talk about conspirecy theories. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and my point is that you can't just claim something without proof. Brain fog and breathing problems can be caused by other things than corona.

Jeez.  Never said they weren't.  Just that some of the effects of long covid is brain fog and breathing problems.  Wow.  This thread is about coronavirus.  Not health problems in general.

• Confused 1