I still don't think the sky is falling ......but

starky

If with the sky falling in we mean the health service getting overloaded to the extent that ambulances are queuing for long periods and the patients dying because of the unavailability of prompt emergency treatment, there were some places in some European countries where this was happening.

Once ICU beds became free again, lockdowns were lifted and other restrictions were eased and I see from news reports that the percentage of free hospital beds for intensive care continues to be an important factor in the decision-making for restrictions in many parts of the world.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, starky said:

It's  life older folk naturally die at a greater rate than children if the inverse was true none of us would be here.

It's not nice, it's not pleasant it's certainly unpalatable but the future of the species has always been the priority. 

You're quite wrong, it was expected you would need to produce 8-10 children in order for 2 males to survive into adulthood. This was true for the entirety of history except for the past 100 years in the west.

Wrong again, the biggest threat to our species is abortion and contraception. We already have shrinking populations.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 3

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're quite wrong, it was expected you would need to produce 8-10 children in order for 2 males to survive into adulthood. This was true for the entirety of history except for the past 100 years in the west.

Wrong again, the biggest threat to our species is abortion and contraception. We already have shrinking populations.

So for the past 100 years there have been more children dying than old people? Can you show me the stats on that? A lot of countries still have high mortality rate but far more people die of old age than die in infancy or through to adulthood.

Shrinking populations isn't all about abortion or contraception either as many people are choosing not to have any children at all or having far smaller families than what was traditionally true. 

Edited by starky

Just now, starky said:

So for the past 100 years there have been more children dying than old people? Can you show me the stats on that?

Shrinking populations isn't all about abortion or contraception either as many people are choosing not to have any children at all or having far smaller families than what was traditionally true. 

https://ourworldindata.org/child-mortality-in-the-past#:~:text=Across the entire historical sample,Around half died as children.

"Across the entire historical sample the authors found that on average, 26.9% of newborns died in their first year of life and 46.2% died before they reached adulthood. Two estimates that are easy to remember: Around a quarter died in the first year of life. Around half died as children."

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

https://ourworldindata.org/child-mortality-in-the-past#:~:text=Across the entire historical sample,Around half died as children.

"Across the entire historical sample the authors found that on average, 26.9% of newborns died in their first year of life and 46.2% died before they reached adulthood. Two estimates that are easy to remember: Around a quarter died in the first year of life. Around half died as children."

To which I say

https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/life-expectancy-death/deaths-in-australia/contents/age-at-death

2018, there were 158,493 deaths registered in Australia. The majority of deaths in Australia, like other developed countries, occur among older people. Sixty-six per cent of deaths registered in Australia in 2018 were among people aged 75 or over (59% for males and 73% for females). The median age at death was 78 years for males and 84 years for females (Table S2.1).

Edited by starky

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

To the tune of New York New York

'start spreadin' the seed...' 

22 hours ago, Surelynot said:

I think this is true....which is fine when you are one of those for whom the effects are zero or minimal.......but for others.......?

I wonder how people would have reacted if this disease had the inverse effect of killing a high proportion of children rather than old folk?

You don’t have to look far for the answer to that. Just look what were we doing differently before Covid. In 2018 in Thailand  3,712 people per month, including children, died from flu and pneumonia, but that wasn’t even news.

I had pneumonia that developed from flu as a child and was in hospital for a month. Childhood friends died from it then, just as children do today.

According to the CDC:

“Similarities:

Both COVID-19 and flu illness can result in severe illness and complications. Those at highest risk include:

Older adults

People with certain underlying medical conditions

Pregnant people

Differences:

The risk of complications for healthy children is higher for flu compared to COVID-19. However, infants and children with underlying medical conditions are at increased risk for both flu and COVID-19.”

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

You don’t have to look far for the answer to that. Just look what were we doing differently before Covid. In 2018 in Thailand  3,712 people per month, including children, died from flu and pneumonia, but that wasn’t even news.

I had pneumonia that developed from flu as a child and was in hospital for a month. Childhood friends died from it then, just as children do today.

According to the CDC:

“Similarities:

Both COVID-19 and flu illness can result in severe illness and complications. Those at highest risk include:

Older adults

People with certain underlying medical conditions

Pregnant people

Differences:

The risk of complications for healthy children is higher for flu compared to COVID-19. However, infants and children with underlying medical conditions are at increased risk for both flu and COVID-19.”

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm

Still stuck with trying to compare the flu with Covid?  Doesn't work.  There are some similarities, but also massive differences.  This type of post doesn't help the situation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Surelynot said:

I think this is true....which is fine when you are one of those for whom the effects are zero or minimal.......but for others.......?

I wonder how people would have reacted if this disease had the inverse effect of killing a high proportion of children rather than old folk?

The Brazilian variant doesn't seem to be too picky about age, and it's probably heading our way soon enough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, malathione said:

Is your species European, or, perhaps, some form of non-human? Because the human population is not shrinking. Abortion and contraception being a threat, an absolutely idiotic assertion even for a TV poster.

BritMan Too is right. Peak population will occur around 2040-50. After that, the world population will start a slow decline. It's well documented that as countries industrialize, urbanize and become wealthier, fertility rates drop as women assert more control over their reproductive rights. Fertility rates all around the world (with some exceptions of course in poorer countries) are in rapid decline. Even China's population is in decline. I lived in the Philippines for a long time and my skilled female staff were all choosing to have no more than 1 or 2 babies at the most, and that's the Philippines where families traditionally comprised more than 6 children. Contraception use is on the rise there and in many other developing nations as women enter the skilled workforce and assert their reproductive rights. How many Thai girls who are off the farm do you know are having more than 1 or 2 kids? It's not many....   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Doesn't help what situation? I was replying to this question:

"I wonder how people would have reacted if this disease had the inverse effect of killing a high proportion of children rather than old folk?"

And I quoted directly from the CDC. It appears that you want to wear blinkers and only read what supports your narrow views about Covid. I prefer to take a wider look at what is happening and in this case the CDC has an excellent site that explains the close similarities between flu/pneumonia and Covid, with one of the few differences being that flu is much more dangerous than Covid to children.

If you are still in denial after reading the CDC announcement in the link that I provided, then take the matter up with the CDC.

It now seems the variants are going after younger people.  Even children.  I'm not in denial.  Just saying that to compare the flu (which we understand quite well) with CV19 (which we don't really understand, and is mutating), might not be a good thing to do. 

Edited by Jeffr2
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Guderian said:

The Brazilian variant doesn't seem to be too picky about age, and it's probably heading our way soon enough.

Yes...just been reading that.....very worrying......and now the new Indian variant......but India not on the UK red list....why? Because Johnson has a trade visas coming up.......!!!!

• Like 2