Thai Air flights to the UK

stupidfarang

6 hours ago, polpott said:

Good enough for me. I'll quarantine in the beer garden. Due to arrive home between noon and 1pm on Friday. Full monty and a couple of pints before starting my quarantine.

On a serious note, I'll only have a Thai phone number when I arrive, they're going to have problems contacting me on that.

Did you manage to complete the passenger locator form without providing a UK phone number ? I provided a landline number and they called me every day , sometimes twice . BTW , there is a substantial fine if you are found not to be self isolating , plus there is always the scare that you may be carrying the virus . I was contacted on day 4 of isolation by government to say that someone on my Thai Air 910 flight to the UK had the virus and was I OK 

• Thanks 1

I flew back on the 28/03/21 with Thai Air 910 to Heathrow . flight was almost full and the attendants were dressed in protective gowns and hats .    Big queues at departure Suvarnabhumi 4 hours before departure . At Heathrow have immigration delays , I waited 3 hours to clear but some passengers waited 7 hours ( I had a taxi booked to pick me up and had to pay for his parking ) . Best advice 

1/ Have your paperwork i.e. proof of negative covid test 72 hours prior to departure in Bangkok ,  proof of 2 covid tests booked in UK ,   locator form  , all printed on A4 paper to make easy for Border Control officer to inspect , plus of course your passport . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, superal said:

Did you manage to complete the passenger locator form without providing a UK phone number ? I provided a landline number and they called me every day , sometimes twice . BTW , there is a substantial fine if you are found not to be self isolating , plus there is always the scare that you may be carrying the virus . I was contacted on day 4 of isolation by government to say that someone on my Thai Air 910 flight to the UK had the virus and was I OK 

I can't complete it until 48 hours before arriving in the UK. Its a worry but there's nothing I can do about it now. There must be plenty of others who arrive in the UK without a UK number. If they get arsey I'll give them my mates number.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, superal said:

I flew back on the 28/03/21 with Thai Air 910 to Heathrow . flight was almost full and the attendants were dressed in protective gowns and hats .    Big queues at departure Suvarnabhumi 4 hours before departure . At Heathrow have immigration delays , I waited 3 hours to clear but some passengers waited 7 hours ( I had a taxi booked to pick me up and had to pay for his parking ) . Best advice 

1/ Have your paperwork i.e. proof of negative covid test 72 hours prior to departure in Bangkok ,  proof of 2 covid tests booked in UK ,   locator form  , all printed on A4 paper to make easy for Border Control officer to inspect , plus of course your passport . 

I think I’ll be flying to uk shortly, how/where did you book the UK Covid tests?

On 4/17/2021 at 8:21 PM, soi3eddie said:

I can let you know tomorrow night! Taxi arrives at my condo 02:00am. I'm booked for 04:45am departure on TG910 from BKK to LHR on Sunday 18th April. I did a negative Covid PCR test yesterday (within 72hrs of departure) and UK Passenger locator form today (within 48 hours before arrival) and also booked 2 home test PCR kits (required for passenger locator form) to do on day 2 and day 8 of home quarantine. Currently just home quarantine if arriving from Thailand and not visited a red zone ccountry in last 10 days. Thai Airways is the ONLY direct non-stop passenger carrier from Thailand to London at present. My ticket was a return from April 2020 that got cancelled and re-booked numerous times (10). I could have returned to the UK in September last year but am very, very glad that I stayed here in Thailand until now. Must return to UK now for family and business matters. Booked to return to BKK on 1st Nov 2021 assuming travel is permitted (I have NON-O retirement extension with re-entry permit valid to May 2022).

Hi, thank you for the info greatly appreciated. I am in the same position, have to go back end of May for my business am on a retirement visa here in Thailand. I was looking at flying EVA air but they told me they cannot guarantee they will fly on the day they say they will fly and now think it may be better to fly Thai. I would be interested to know if the flight was full or empty on the BKK to Lon leg. Hope all goes well with your trip

21 hours ago, polpott said:

I booked and paid for the 2 & 8 day test kits a month ago. Am due to start quarantine in the UK on Friday. Still no sign of the kits.

keep us posted, i will be back in late May so good to hear from others experince

19 hours ago, polpott said:

Good enough for me. I'll quarantine in the beer garden. Due to arrive home between noon and 1pm on Friday. Full monty and a couple of pints before starting my quarantine.

On a serious note, I'll only have a Thai phone number when I arrive, they're going to have problems contacting me on that.

Who did you fly with? was the flight full or empty? How was the process at BKK airport on the way out?

4 hours ago, Caiman said:
11 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

I think I’ll be flying to uk shortly, how/where did you book the UK Covid tests?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/providers-of-day-2-and-day-8-coronavirus-testing-for-international-arrivals

Getting cheaper, paid £99 plus postage with "Testing for All"

That list looked onerous and rather than sift through 20-odd providers listed for the northwest, most of whom are in Manchester and not near Oswaldtwistle (and some whose websites and email addresses don't work!), I will opt to book and pre-pay for the DIY home test kits via the following.

https://quarantinehotels.ctmportal.co.uk/Quarantine/Home.aspx?Country=England

• Thanks 1

Just now, NanLaew said:

That list looked onerous and rather than sift through 20-odd providers listed for the northwest, most of whom are in Manchester and not near Oswaldtwistle (and some whose websites and email addresses don't work!), I will opt to book and pre-pay for the DIY home test kits via the following.

https://quarantinehotels.ctmportal.co.uk/Quarantine/Home.aspx?Country=England

Postal isn't a problem for "Day 2 and day 8" tests. The problem arises with the "Test and Release" scheme which requires you to test on day 5 and be released from quarantine as soon as a negative results are confirmed. Waste of time if your results take 3 days to come back. You can use a walk in clinic and get a same day result but not a single clinic, participating in the scheme, North of Luton.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:19 AM, Tanoshi said:

Finnair through Helsinki is another option.

Looking at Finnair for May, only two flights via Helsinki per week with Wednesday offering a 17-hour layover versus Saturday's 50 minute connection. Keep checking though as they can add/delete flights/routes at short notice these days.

6 minutes ago, polpott said:

Postal isn't a problem for "Day 2 and day 8" tests. The problem arises with the "Test and Release" scheme which requires you to test on day 5 and be released from quarantine as soon as a negative results are confirmed. Waste of time if your results take 3 days to come back. You can use a walk in clinic and get a same day result but not a single clinic, participating in the scheme, North of Luton.

The three extra days won't bother me after the 380 preceding days of comparative limbo. Anyway, 'The Vault' in Oswaldtwistle doesn't have a beer garden...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Looking at Finnair for May, only two flights via Helsinki per week with Wednesday offering a 17-hour layover versus Saturday's 50 minute connection. Keep checking though as they can add/delete flights/routes at short notice these days.

50 minute connection is very doable through Helsinki.

It is the easiest airport I have ever had to navigate.

Departure gates face the arrival gates, with a cafeteria and few shops in-between.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

https://www.better2know.com/  £200 for the 2 tests . There is a list of testers and I took the middle range and had good correspondence and info from the above . However day 8 test is a bit confusing because the results take at least 3 days to come through by which time you have surpassed the 10 day quarantine period . I was told , if after 10 days you have no symptoms you are free from quarantine .

BTW just to prepare you , any packages delivered to your house will be left at your doorstep and your doorbell rang to tell you of the delivery . It is advised that you wipe all deliveries with disinfectant wipes and this includes groceries etc and then wash your hands with warm soapy water .

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, superal said:

https://www.better2know.com/  £200 for the 2 tests . There is a list of testers and I took the middle range and had good correspondence and info from the above . However day 8 test is a bit confusing because the results take at least 3 days to come through by which time you have surpassed the 10 day quarantine period . I was told , if after 10 days you have no symptoms you are free from quarantine .

BTW just to prepare you , any packages delivered to your house will be left at your doorstep and your doorbell rang to tell you of the delivery . It is advised that you wipe all deliveries with disinfectant wipes and this includes groceries etc and then wash your hands with warm soapy water .

Thanks, Superal. I’ll bookmark that link.

Where did everyone get their "proof of a negative COVID-19 test (in English - no translations are accepted)" ?

Has to be in English

Where in Bangkok and how long it take to get certificate after test?

Edited by stupidfarang

Just now, stupidfarang said:

Where did everyone get their "proof of a negative COVID-19 test (in English - no translations are accepted)" ?

Has to be in English

I got mine yesterday at BPH. Tested at 9am, certificate at 3pm. 2 copies in English 3800baht.

• Like 1

I got mine last Friday at Mahidol Hospital for Tropical Diseases. About 5 minutes walk from BTS Victory Monument. 3,000 Baht for test + 400 Baht doctor's fee. Done on Friday and collected on Saturday. Less painful/unpleasant than expected. Booked online. After registration and payment the test took about 15 seconds. They give a "health certificate" and "test report certificate for Covid-19". All in English. Booked it in advance online here

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I got mine last Friday at Mahidol Hospital for Tropical Diseases. About 5 minutes walk from BTS Victory Monument. 3,000 Baht for test + 400 Baht doctor's fee. Done on Friday and collected on Saturday. Less painful/unpleasant than expected. Booked online. After registration and payment the test took about 15 seconds. They give a "health certificate" and "test report certificate for Covid-19". All in English. Booked it in advance online here

I also used this service however do not be put off by what appears to be zero appointments because even though I made a firm time/ appointment online , when I turned up my name was not on any list and I had to register affresh the same as others just walking in without appointments . My initial appointment/test took around 1 hour at 10 00 am . Next day to pick up certificate same time 10 00 am took 30 minutes .      Monies paid 1st day of test .

Thai Travel Clinic

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 11:58 AM, NanLaew said:

Friend of mine flew Finnair to London this past Friday, 23rd. Only about 20 people on the flight which was delayed by 15 minutes and they still made their connection. It seems Finnair will delay the flight to London for connecting passengers if it is not too excessive.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 10:27 AM, stupidfarang said:

Has to be in English

Where in Bangkok and how long it take to get certificate after test?

Friend of mine got a Rapid Antigen test last Thursday at the Airport Chula 9 Hospital for an early Friday morning flight. Test took place at 1pm, result was phoned through at 2pm and they were asked to pick up the result certificate. Test to receiving the certificate, all in English, was just under 2 hours and cost 2000 bht.

Edited by edwinchester
  • Thanks 2

On 4/25/2021 at 4:01 PM, edwinchester said:

Friend of mine got a Rapid Antigen test last Thursday at the Airport Chula 9 Hospital for an early Friday morning flight. Test took place at 1pm, result was phoned through at 2pm and they were asked to pick up the result certificate. Test to receiving the certificate, all in English, was just under 2 hours and cost 2000 bht.

Do you know if it meets the UK government requirents for the test results? Sounds like a good service

On 4/25/2021 at 4:01 PM, edwinchester said:

Warning, I called Airport Chula ( hospital today, wife spoke to them in thai, was told test results will take 6 hours for a antigen test and other tests up to 4 days. So be sure before leaving it to the last moment

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stupidfarang said:

Warning, I called Airport Chula ( hospital today, wife spoke to them in thai, was told test results will take 6 hours for a antigen test and other tests up to 4 days. So be sure before leaving it to the last moment

Maybe the rise in cases recently has increased the time to get the result. When my friend phoned early last week they were actually told the antigen result would take 3 hours. I guess they were lucky to get it so quickly.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 3:56 AM, polpott said:

I booked and paid for the 2 & 8 day test kits a month ago. Am due to start quarantine in the UK on Friday. Still no sign of the kits.

My test arrived 1 day before the required day and from what i heard that this is normal practice.

Got the result from the first test after 48 hours by email.