MotoGP

Kwasaki

The sports forum here is a bit lame so I thought OK to post here on bike forum seeing as MotoGP is held here in Thailand. 

Anyone here interested in MotoGP or is it back to the sports forum. ????

Edited by Kwasaki
The phone has a spell type of its own.
  • Like 1

I'm interest in the tech. and enjoy watching a race with a couple of beers but so far have been unable to find a suitable venue locally. Work in progress.

I have both a Vinales and Quatararo shirt!

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

Count me in and possibly consider including WSBK which also races at Buriram

Passed my bike test in 1968 and still riding and enjoying watching these kids riding at a level that's almost incomprehensible.

If its a clash between F1 and motoGP, the cars have to wait....

My real racing love though is the Isle of Man road races. TT, Classic, Manx, Southern 100 etc. All cancelled until at least 2022 currently ..

Yeah lets chat about all motorbike racing.

The IOM is my thing, I like MotoGP but compared to IOM GP riders they wouldn't risk riding there.

To be fair road riding is soo different to track..

I've been IOM twice rode mad Sunday on my UK blade and have a bike just the same here it Thailand.

Just now, Kwasaki said:

The IOM is my thing, I like MotoGP but compared to IOM GP riders they wouldn't risk riding there.

Wasn't always the case. Barry Sheene once rode in the 125 TT, Agostini, 15 times world champion won 10 TTs and of course Mike Hailwood, 10 times world champion and winner of 15 TTs. I remember watching him when he made his comeback in 78 . Won the F1 TT on a Ducati 900s. What a racer what a machine. True legend. They don't make 'em like they used to.

In the modern era, Foggy won 3 TTs, the lightweight Manx GP and god knows how many WSB races.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, polpott said:

Wasn't always the case. Barry Sheene once rode in the 125 TT, Agostini, 15 times world champion won 10 TTs and of course Mike Hailwood, 10 times world champion and winner of 15 TTs. I remember watching him when he made his comeback in 78 . Won the F1 TT on a Ducati 900s. What a racer what a machine. True legend. They don't make 'em like they used to.

In the modern era, Foggy won 3 TTs, the lightweight Manx GP and god knows how many WSB races.

Fair call and some many great names there.

I'm mentioning much later on when MotoGP progressed not always in a good way IMHO but that's the way things go.

I believe a MotoGP rider would not be allowed to compete in IOM.

Foggy I remember before WSBK set a new lap record at IOM that he held for years on a Yam I think, it was broken by favorite bike the RC45.

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I believe a MotoGP rider would not be allowed to compete in IOM.

They probably would as long as they go through orientation with Shakey Byrne, as any other rider would. 

I do not believe they exclude anyone? Is there a requirement for competing in X number of road races before?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

They probably would as long as they go through orientation with Shakey Byrne, as any other rider would. 

I do not believe they exclude anyone? Is there a requirement for competing in X number of road races before?

Shakey Byrne was a test rider for Fast Bikes magazine I use to like that mag and had it delivered to Thailand until a few copies didn't get delivered.

He was BSB man mainly which I only watched on occasion.

As for MotoGP riders I'm only guessing and I believe there contract would not allow them to compete in IOM these days.

Remember this though :-

Many years ago Valentino Rossi did a demonstration lap of the IOM Mountain Course.

His response:

I did a lap of the Isle of Man, and I understand why people love this because it’s f**king awesome – it’s unbelievable, great. But, unfortunately, it’s too dangerous. Sometimes, riders are crazy.'

'The Isle of Man is very difficult. If you make a mistake, maybe it’s the last mistake.'

From a edited mag snippet :-

Did you know that vocalneal can actually enter the Isle Of Man TT race yourself – and it's actually not even that hard?

Winning, however, is another matter as Kwasaki found out on my Fireblade when I rode the circuit.

You can be an amateur racer and enter the Newcomers class at the Isle of Man TT.

I did track days but I would never been a part of the Isle of Man legend !  ????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Is there a requirement for competing in X number of road races before?

Yes there is, I've just finished reading one of Guy Martins books (We Need to Weaken the Mixture) and he mentions that he had to do so many races before he was allowed to ride the Fireblade there

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I did track days but I would never been a part of the Isle of Man legend !

Mad Sunday isn't what it was. They used to close the whole 37 miles and make it one way. Now its just the mountain section. They also now have supercars driven by Hooray Henrys who line up at the bottom of the mountain and are allowed to go off before the bikes when the road opens. Helmets weren't compulsory in my day either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

Yes there is, I've just finished reading one of Guy Martins books (We Need to Weaken the Mixture) and he mentions that he had to do so many races before he was allowed to ride the Fireblade there

One of my favourite IOM riders, l thought he had done some track races and then went to take up IOM. 

Maybe I'm mixing him up with someone else. 

1 hour ago, polpott said:

Mad Sunday isn't what it was. They used to close the whole 37 miles and make it one way. Now its just the mountain section. They also now have supercars driven by Hooray Henrys who line up at the bottom of the mountain and are allowed to go off before the bikes when the road opens. Helmets weren't compulsory in my day either.

You must be about to get a telegram from the Queen. ????

Shame about what you say it was great in my day it was around the late 90's when I went. 

Met the hero Joey and Nick Jefferies set my bike up for me we stayed in the same Hotel, he was out that year with a broken leg.

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

One of my favourite IOM riders, l thought he had done some track races and then went to take up IOM. 

Maybe I'm mixing him up with someone else. 

Because he dropped out of the 2016 season (he broke his back in Aug 2015) he had to do qualifying races to get entry into the 2017 IoM

For the 2016 season Martin decided not to race in the TT for the first time in 11 years, opting instead for a mountain bike race. He was uncertain if the decision would lead him to retire from road racing, mountain bike racing, or if he would go on to do something else, but said "if I do race on the roads it will be with TAS".

Martin signed a new deal with Honda Racing on 18 January 2017 to ride the Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade SP2, rekindling his ambition to win the Isle of Man TT and renewing his focus on his road racing career

And yes, he's one of my favourite racers too, mad as a box of frogs, but great all the same ????

Martin suffered a serious crash in the Dundrod 150 Superbike event, part of the Ulster Grand Prix races in August 2015. Following the crash, Martin only got back on his racing motorbike in March 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Martin

• Thanks 1

Just now, Neilly said:

Because he dropped out of the 2016 season (he broke his back in Aug 2015) he had to do qualifying races to get entry into the 2017 IoM

And yes, he's one of my favourite racers too, mad as a box of frogs, but great all the same ????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Martin

Great character but not a great rider. Never won a TT. Legend for incidents like this.

......and this, the human fireball.

• Like 1

See on MotoGP site Thailand's round 16 meeting is 10th October anyone going.?

Couldn't log in MotoGP web site tried all ways and not reading it much.

I was disappointed Dovi leaving ???? that has had real bad luck over years.

See he is testing an Aprilia to ride sometime in MotoGP.

I read he revealed plans to ride the bike again on the 11th and 12th of May at Mugello, but that a second test is the only plan for the coming weeks and months, with no mention of a possible wildcard appearance just yet.

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

Yeah as Polpott has showed vids a great survivor too, the 3 riders I've met have all gone to race with the stars above.

• Like 1

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Yeah as Polpott has showed vids a great survivor too, the 3 riders I've met have all gone to race with the stars above.

Attended the TT in 78. watched a sidecar race from the bottom of Bray Hill, my favourite spot as there's no sight in bike racing like watching bikes power up the other side and over Ago's Leap.

Mac Hobson and Kenny Birch came down from the start, hit a raised manhole cover and the outfit whipped sideways and straight into a dry stone wall. The outfit slid upside down, all the way down Bray Hill with Mac trapped under it, face down, and Kenny Birch's helmet came bouncing down behind it.

Marshals lifted the bike off Mac and the medics put Mac on a stretcher. As they lifted the stretcher, Macks intestines slopped over the side of the stretcher with the medics trying to scoop them up. I thought I'd seen everything until they picked Kenny Birch's helmet up and it became obvious that his head was still inside his helmet.

Didn't attend a TT for many years after that until I flew over with my son in 2000 for the day. Watched the Senior from, you guessed it, Bray Hill.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, polpott said:

Attended the TT in 78. watched a sidecar race from the bottom of Bray Hill, my favourite spot as there's no sight in bike racing like watching bikes power up the other side and over Ago's Leap.

Mac Hobson and Kenny Birch came down from the start, hit a raised manhole cover and the outfit whipped sideways and straight into a dry stone wall. The outfit slid upside down, all the way down Bray Hill with Mac trapped under it, face down, and Kenny Birch's helmet came bouncing down behind it.

Marshals lifted the bike off Mac and the medics put Mac on a stretcher. As they lifted the stretcher, Macks intestines slopped over the side of the stretcher with the medics trying to scoop them up. I thought I'd seen everything until they picked Kenny Birch's helmet up and it became obvious that his head was still inside his helmet.

Didn't attend a TT for many years after that until I flew over with my son in 2000 for the day. Watched the Senior from, you guessed it, Bray Hill.

The post office was the first place we went to watch, not many people there, after about 5 bikes we moved,  it was a fast stretch you saw them come over the hill and a flash and they were gone. 

Gleg na bar I remember if that the right spelling was our best place next to the pub. ????

1 hour ago, polpott said:

Mac Hobson and Kenny Birch

Not a nice experience for you but Sidecar racing was fun to watch.

I met Joey IOM but as you know he didn't die there. 

David Jefferies and Simon Beck I met them both and they die there. 

On 4/19/2021 at 5:36 PM, VocalNeal said:

I'm interest in the tech. and enjoy watching a race with a couple of beers but so far have been unable to find a suitable venue locally. Work in progress.

I have both a Vinales and Quatararo shirt!

I saw on an old thread you talking about booking a ride around the Thailand Buriram track, can't access it anymore, is it possible to do during thIs covid time,  mind you I wanted to go much later in the year when it's a bit cooler. 

Edited by Kwasaki

I watch the MotoGP races each round including qualifying, plus WSBK when they are on.

Last races I went to were in 2019, Buriram and Sepang (Sepeng was completely packed, the most I've seen it since first going in 2005).

My brother in law was going to the 2020 Buriram race, the ticket could then be used for the 2021. However I had seen somewhere that the powers that be for the 2021 event say that the contract would be renewed for another 5 years from 2022.

Really not sure about the 2021 race. Not sure if he could still use the 2020 ticket for 2022 either.

I'm now stuck in Singapore for the last 1.5 years.

Mad times eh.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, soihok said:

I watch the MotoGP races each round including qualifying, plus WSBK when they are on.

Last races I went to were in 2019, Buriram and Sepang (Sepeng was completely packed, the most I've seen it since first going in 2005).

My brother in law was going to the 2020 Buriram race, the ticket could then be used for the 2021. However I had seen somewhere that the powers that be for the 2021 event say that the contract would be renewed for another 5 years from 2022.

Really not sure about the 2021 race. Not sure if he could still use the 2020 ticket for 2022 either.

I'm now stuck in Singapore for the last 1.5 years.

Mad times eh.

Good to have you back on.

Does your brother in law know anything about having a ride around the track at Buriram race circuit.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 12:58 AM, polpott said:

Attended the TT in 78. watched a sidecar race ...

I was reading about the '78 races.  Good stuff, Hailwood came back.  Bad stuff, 3 killed in the sidecar race and Pat Hennen had a career-ending crash.  Very promising rider, giving Sheene and Roberts a run for their money. 

https://www.iomtt.com/tt-database/events?meet_code=TT78 &era=4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Hennen

• Like 1

I've been to all of the MotoGP races in Thailand and I'm hoping that I can go again this year after having last year cancelled. I'm hoping that they will still be able to have them with fans attending this year. Even if fans can't go to the circuit I'll still go and stay in Buriram and watch it on TV, I always enjoy the trip and seeing all of the different bikes and riders there. 

• Like 2