Flying to UK ?

Thanks for this heads up On my return i will get my sister to arrange n pay and receipts sent here although i will be BHX so it ill be a lot quieter but still full of immigration jobsworths

Re these UK  test things do they visit you or do go to a doctors or hospital

4 hours ago, Tony M said:

2 covid tests booked in UK and the test booking reference included in the PLF.

2 hours ago, poohy said:

Thanks for this heads up On my return i will get my sister to arrange n pay and receipts sent here although i will be BHX so it ill be a lot quieter but still full of immigration jobsworths

Re these UK  test things do they visit you or do go to a doctors or hospital

Apparently you self-test at home.  You pay for the test kit before you travel to UK, and it is sent to the address where you will self-quarantine.  My friend received a phone call from Border Force yesterday (one day after arrival) to check that she was at the quarantine address.

I went UK sat by FINNAIR they also wanted proof the the UK test number on the UK paperwork was liked to my passport had to phone my daughter in the night to send this paperwork to my phone also had the same problem in Helsiki all the paperwork re checked flight 0ne hour leaving to LHR

8 minutes ago, treetops said:

All airlines should be requesting this at check in.  It's a requirement on Timatic and shouldn't come as a surprise to passengers.

image.png.192fb0b6bc3e0a4738957ac71e00b847.png

I guess everyone reads Timatic before traveling (not).

The booking reference is the proof of payment. You cannot obtain the reference until you have paid for the tests online. So, I guess it could come as a surprise to passengers that they are then required to provide payment receipts.  However, what your astuteness (and the airlines, of course) doesn't recognise is that it is possible to cancel the tests after booking, and get a refund. So demanding proof of payment doesn't actually provide proof of payment. A nugatory exercise.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tony M said:

The passenger apparently checked "published guidance".  That could be this forum which we know contains so much drivel at times.  Given the current situation I'd be looking for the most reliable info I could find.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

12 minutes ago, treetops said:

The passenger apparently checked "published guidance".  That could be this forum which we know contains so much drivel at times.  Given the current situation I'd be looking for the most reliable info I could find.

Indeed there is drivel here.

The published guidance was the UK Government website and the airlines website. That is all that most passengers would look at, I believe.  I can just imagine a passenger in Somalia or Mongolia or China or wherever, consulting Timatic before buying a ticket to travel to UK. Drivel indeed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, treetops said:

Then they'd likely get in the same pickle as your friend.

My friend and 99% of the rest of the traveling public.  Do you seriously think that the majority of  passengers consult Timatic before traveling ? 

I do note that you haven't addressed the comments about the test booking reference being the proof of payment, and therefore meeting the requirement in Timatic.  

Nothing more to be gained by these exchanges, so here it ends. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tony M said:

My friend and 99% of the rest of the traveling public.  Do you seriously think that the majority of  passengers consult Timatic before traveling ? 

I do note that you haven't addressed the comments about the test booking reference being the proof of payment, and therefore meeting the requirement in Timatic.  

Nothing more to be gained by these exchanges, so here it ends. 

The link I gave for checking is hardly onerous to use and is widely publicised.  You know using it makes sense.

The booking reference is an indirect proof of payment.  A receipt as requested is much more

unequovical, but if anyone wants to scam the system there are likely many ways to do it.

As you say, nothing to be gained but if it helps others travel stress free then it's been worth it.

Edited by treetops

• 3 weeks later...

What are the current options in the way of airlines to travel to the UK in June?  I can't use my Qatar ticket because they are on the UK redlist. Buying a one-way ticket for £300 is cheaper than £1,750 for mandatory hotel quarantine !!

I've found:

SwissAir

KLM

FinnAir

From what I can see, there are no restrictions on transiting through those countries ? Surely they would not sell the tickets if there were.

I see Thai airways direct flights on Sundays, are they actually flying ?  Might be the safest option, and it isn't that much mroe expensive - I'm getting a proce of £370 for that vs  £300ish for the other ones above.

I guess those Thai flights will fill up quickly, so I won't want to delay too long.

Edited by Tuvoc
add extra

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

What are the current options in the way of airlines to travel to the UK in June?  I can't use my Qatar ticket because they are on the UK redlist. Buying a one-way ticket for £300 is cheaper than £1,750 for mandatory hotel quarantine !!

I've found:

SwissAir

KLM

FinnAir

From what I can see, there are no restrictions on transiting through those countries ? Surely they would not sell the tickets if there were.

I see Thai airways direct flights on Sundays, are they actually flying ?  Might be the safest option, and it isn't that much mroe expensive - I'm getting a proce of £370 for that vs  £300ish for the other ones above.

I guess those Thai flights will fill up quickly, so I won't want to delay too long.

I've been looking as well for August.

From what I've heard there are very long waits upon arrival at LHR so I'm considering KLM into London City.

But I'm also prepared to wait to see if any other countries appear on the UK green list and fly into one of these countries, subject to these allowing travellers from Thailand in without restrictions other than Covid tests, spend 10 days on holiday rather than 10 days in self-isolation and then fly to London.

Also depends on these countries' rules regarding vaccines prior to entry.

A lot to take into consideration.

Good idea to consider any airport other than LHR.  I'll have a look at those options.

Edited by Tuvoc

5 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I've found:

SwissAir

KLM

FinnAir

You can still use it if Qatar are permitted to carry passengers to the UK when you travel and you're British.  Hotel quarantine on arrival as you say.

You can add Lufthansa to your list, and if you don't mind bactracking a bit Singapore, Korean, or even BA from Hong Kong (last I looked they were selling through tickets using Ethiopian for BKK-HKG IIRC).  Singapore will go on the green list shortly so will become the "easiest" on arrival.  All the others will be amber and require self isolation

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Singapore will go on the green list shortly so will become the "easiest" on arrival.

Not if you are just transiting.  It will be the same as if you've arrived directly from Bangkok, or via any other non-red country.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Not if you are just transiting.  It will be the same as if you've arrived directly from Bangkok, or via any other non-red country.

Good point.  I was thinking of staying there for 10 days - having a holiday and avoiding self isolation back in the UK.

2 minutes ago, treetops said:

Good point.  I was thinking of staying there for 10 days - having a holiday and avoiding self isolation back in the UK.

Nice idea, but not too many people allowed in to Singapore afaik.

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

Nice idea, but not too many people allowed in to Singapore afaik.

The Falkland Islands was the only other one on the list I fancied, but heading into their winter now so maybe a bit chilly. ????

For the relatively small amount of extra money I think I'll take the Thai Airways direct flight. Only disadvantage I see of that is probably a busier plane than the likes of KLM, SwissAir etc.

Edited by Tuvoc
spelling

On 4/21/2021 at 8:13 AM, poohy said:

Surprise or not  cost is a shock its their requirement surely they should cover it

Its not like I've bothered them for last 27 years

What cost are you refering to?  Testing is not a requirement of the airline in this case, its a requirement for entry by the UK government.

On 4/20/2021 at 10:07 AM, terry Meltham said:

I went UK sat by FINNAIR they also wanted proof the the UK test number on the UK

I think most people are aware that proof of testing is required - along with proof that any tests required after arrival have been booked. The OP's post is pointing out that booking was not sufficient - they also wanted proof of payment.  I'm not sure that is actually a requirement of the UK but I thank the OP for pointing this out, I will make sure my wife has the receipts when she travels to the UK in summer.

This is not the only occurence of airlines asking for documentation that is not actually required by the destination country (if indeed its not) - I've had several run ins with check in staff at Bangkok where they have stated that non British citizens must have a return ticket when they travel to the UK. That is not a requirement, even for tourist visa holders but they often insist it is. 

The latest was outsourced staff acting on behalf of Finnair last year when my wife came to the UK.  I had already spoken to Finnair customer services and been assured it was not their policy yet check in staff asked my wife for her return ticket.  We had only booked one way because we knew my wife would not be allowed to return on Finnair due to the COE requirements at the time.  Thankfully, not trusting what Finnair told me, we had already booked a (fully refundable) return ticket on Etihad.

What I would say is that although the UK does not require a return ticket, travellers may well be questioned as to why by UK immigration on entry so anyone travelling without a return needs to be able to answer that question.  Years ago a previous girlfriend travelled on a one way and was indeed asked why, she simply told the truth - she had stated she intended staying for 6 months on her visa application but was unsure she would stay that long - she was allowed in.

Given what's at stake, its time airlines sent out a list of their requirements with every ticket - check in is way too late.

Edited by KhaoYai

On 4/21/2021 at 8:23 AM, Tony M said:

Indeed - over 100 visits to Thailand and I've never even heard of Titmatic.  In my book its the airline's responsibility to clearly notify passengers of their requirements.

Unrelated to this issue but related in general because airlines should notify passengers of their requirements - I usually fly with Etihad via Abu Dhabi.  A couple of weeks before I travelled they changed my return flight a little by adding a flight with Jet Airways from Bangkok to Mumbai.  Reluctantly I accepted the additional stop.

I had a very expensive lighter (a gift) with me which had always been with me on all other previous flights - and indeed had been checked by Etihad.  On boarding the Jet Airways flight in Bangkok I was told the lighter was not allowed due to their policy - I lost it. I complained later to Etihad but was told I should have checked Jet Airways policy - I booked the bloody ticket with Etihad.

Always a one-sided affair with airlines.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 8:07 AM, treetops said:

All airlines should be requesting this at check in.  It's a requirement on Timatic and shouldn't come as a surprise to passengers.

image.png.192fb0b6bc3e0a4738957ac71e00b847.png

As TonyM states - nobody looks at theTitmatic website. However, I would hope that most people check the UK government's requirements for entry. Where on that website does it state that proof of payment is required to enter the UK at check-in abroad?  I note the link you provided is actually an image - the link is here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/providers-of-day-2-and-day-8-coronavirus-testing-for-international-arrivals

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

As TonyM states - nobody looks at theTitmatic website. However, I would hope that most people check the UK government's requirements for entry. Where on that website does it state that proof of payment is required to enter the UK at check-in abroad?

Logic says your correct, practical experience proves otherwise.  The check-in agent will be looking at a Timatic interface, and since early in the Covid period they created a user friendly interface for Joe Public which has been mentioned many times on this forum and elsewhere.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Logic says your correct, practical experience proves otherwise.  The check-in agent will be looking at a Timatic interface, and since early in the Covid period they created a user friendly interface for Joe Public which has been mentioned many times on this forum and elsewhere.

As evidenced by myself and other posters - many people have no idea about Titmatic. It may well have been mentioned on here but I've never seen it and quite clearly others have not. I would suggest that most people will check nothing more than the official entry requirements of the country they are travelling to.

I repeat, in my opinion its the responsibility of the airlines to notify travellers of what is required at check-in - especially if those requirements are the ariline's own interpretation of the rules.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

As evidenced by myself and other posters - many people have no idea about Titmatic. It may well have been mentioned on here but I've never seen it and quite clearly others have not. I would suggest that most people will check nothing more than the official entry requirements of the country they are travelling to.

I repeat, in my opinion its the responsibility of the airlines to notify travellers of what is required at check-in - especially if those requirements are the ariline's own interpretation of the rules.

I do agree it should be simple and transparent, but in times like these it pays to do due diligence and that could include extra checks before travelling.  An enquiry or browse on a travel focused forum would likely have come up with Timatic, or revealed this potential stumbling block.  It's unusual times so the regular approach shouldn't be relied on.

As for airlines providing the information, they all make it clear that it's up to the passenger to present themself with the appropriate paperwork and anything they say on their website or wherever is for guidance only.  They do this because they all pay Timatic to do it for them to ensure a common approach and no unnecessary duplication of effort.