Vaccinating Pattaya

TaaSaparot

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I totally agree with you that private hospitals should be allowed to do a different track. However if they did I think it should be ethical. In other words high risk people first and not to begin before the public free program begins.

Another explanation can be found in today's news of the purchasing of Moderna vaccine.

"Moderna like other vaccine companies do not sell to the private sector"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

However, what I do resent, is that the government so far has been unwilling to give the private hospitals permission to independently import vaccines. I have no idea of why that is, but it is completely unacceptable.

Just where would they import it from? Many countries can't get enough, including India and they make the stuff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just where would they import it from? Many countries can't get enough, including India and they make the stuff.

India has been producing 90 million doses / month. 

Would that require 75 months to achieve 100% vaccination of adults in India? (Or is my math suspect?) Not acceptable. 

Here is my source.

BBC

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

India has been producing 90 million doses / month. 

Would that require 75 months to achieve 100% vaccination of adults in India? (Or is my math suspect?) Not acceptable. 

Here is my source.

BBC

I suggest you calibrate your abacus, calculator, etc or perhaps consider using one.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know; I'm not in the vaccine business. But since the hospitals are complaining that they so far have not been able to obtain import licences, I would assume that they have procurement plans in place; why else would they apply for licences?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, catturd said:

I suggest you calibrate your abacus, calculator, etc or perhaps consider using one.

Very useful response to my question...well done!

What did you get?

25 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

I don't know; I'm not in the vaccine business. But since the hospitals are complaining that they so far have not been able to obtain import licences, I would assume that they have procurement plans in place; why else would they apply for licences?

The bigger problem is getting a vaccine company to sell to them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

The bigger problem is getting a vaccine company to sell to them.

Since the hospitals are applying for import licences, it would seem that they have solved that problem.

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Very useful response to my question...well done!

What did you get?

Unless you can convince me there are 3.375B vaccine eligible adult indians, then you would be close in your guesstimate. But in reality India's population is approx 1.35B and of that, there are approx 1.0B that are 18 or older. Simple arithmetic tells me its more like 23 months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_India

9 minutes ago, catturd said:

Unless you can convince me there are 3.375B vaccine eligible adult indians, then you would be close in your guesstimate. But in reality India's population is approx 1.35B and of that, there are approx 1.0B that are 18 or older. Simple arithmetic tells me its more like 23 months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_India

Just reread the BBC link and it actually says

90 million million doses a month. So forget that post!

I am useless early in the morning, but your sarcasm was not needed..... 

1 hour ago, nrasmussen said:

IMO they should not be able to get any for profit when India, which makes the stuff can't provide enough doses for Indians.

I suspect India will be banning export till they have enough for their own, though if they have overseas government contracts I guess they'll have to fill them.

10 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

Since the hospitals are applying for import licences, it would seem that they have solved that problem.

No, as Moderna pointed out this week, vaccine companies will only sell to Governments at the moment.

4 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

No, as Moderna pointed out this week, vaccine companies will only sell to Governments at the moment.

That must be very limiting, considering how many inept ones there are around the world. 

11 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

In that case it would be a futile exercise for the hospitals to apply for import licences, so it doesn't make any sense that they are wasting efforts to do that. Sorry, but I'm confused.

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So... Does it matter (that everyone is vaccinated)...  It depends if you care about society. 

My point was the Seychelles going back into lockdown, which is really not good for a society.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So... Does it matter (that everyone is vaccinated)...  It depends if you care about society. 

Just where and what is this "society" that we are supposed to care about? I have no knowledge of such an entity as I live in a collection of individuals that seems to care only about themselves.

BTW, how many of the 1% ( surely they should care about "society"? ) have pledged to give a substantial part of their fortunes to support "society" during these hard times? I'm aware of Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

5 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

My point was the Seychelles going back into lockdown, which is really not good for a society.

I haven't read the thread about it yet, but apparently vaccines haven't made a difference if they are going into a lockdown. Have some of us been right all along?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I haven't read the thread about it yet, but apparently vaccines haven't made a difference if they are going into a lockdown. Have some of us been right all along?

They did allow unvaccinated people to enter......from all countries.

I have not found numbers of vaccinations there and there certainly is a vaccination program, using the SINOPHARM (China) and COVISHIELD  (Indian made Astra Zenica). You should look to  numbers coming out of a much larger sample from Israel claiming over 95% effective for Pfizer. 

Source

Edited by jacko45k

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They did allow unvaccinated people to enter......from all countries.

I have not found numbers of vaccinations there and there certainly is a vaccination program, using the SINOPHARM (China) and COVISHIELD  (Indian made Astra Zenica). You should look to  numbers coming out of a much larger sample from Israel claiming over 95% effective for Pfizer. 

Source

Seychelles is said to be the most vaccinated country in the World.

On 5/3/2021 at 1:34 PM, redwood1 said:

The next restrictions will be called double trouble double secret double nasty double mandatory double fines double emergency......But whatever you do DONT  call it a lockdown...

If it's not declared a lockdown, no social security payments to make.  

No spending on social security.

No spending on buying vaccines.

No manufacturing thus far.

Maybe the Thai government's policy is to spend nothing, do nothing, and hope covid disappears.  ????   

On 5/3/2021 at 2:06 PM, nrasmussen said:

I don't think that it's surprising if a government thinks about the welfare of its own citizens first, which might be why vaccination of foreigners is deferred to the second round.

Thailand is stuck in an awkward situation.  

They don't really offer residency here, and most expats living in Thailand are on a retirement visa.  By their age, they are the most vulnerable and at risk of dying from covid demographic.  .

If the Thai government was seen by Thai's as giving preference to non Thai's before Thai's, that would cause some problems, yet, hundreds, if not thousands of elderly foreigners dying in Thailand would be global news, and be big negative publicity for the country.  They would not want this situation.  

Elderly foreign retirees are doubtless a high-risk group in terms of getting seriously ill, but are they also high-risk for spredning the virus around?

Why do you say that?

They don't work, so therefore, will not be spreading it in a work place. 

And, yes, I am myself a 60+ retiree, but, as a foreigner, that doesn't make me feel entitled to receive any special treatment.

I'm not talking about special treatment. 

I'm simply pointing out Thailand's immigration laws have put the Thai government in a difficult position.  Expat retirees are not citizens, nor do they hold permanent residency. 

As I have said before, a 12 month retirement visa is basically a 12 month tourist visa, but with hoops to jump through to get it. 

It actually gives you no more rights than a tourist on a 30 day visa exemption stamp.   

So where will 12 month tourists be in the queue for the vaccine?  

However, what I do resent, is that the government so far has been unwilling to give the private hospitals permission to independently import vaccines. I have no idea of why that is, but it is completely unacceptable.

I believe that is a rule of the pharmaceutical companies, to stop the vaccine being for the rich, at the health / death expense of the poor, globally.   

• Like 1